Start by marking “Diana: Story of a Princess” as Want to Read:
Diana: Story of a Princess

Diana: Story of a Princess

Based on the groundbreaking ITV/The Learning Channel documentary series, and drawn from years of research and dozens of interviews with friends and associates speaking on the record for the first time, Diana contains never-before-revealed information and stunning insights about the beloved -- and largely misunderstood -- Princess of Wales.

From claims that Diana was ready t
Published August 19th 2003 by Atria Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Diana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diana

Chris
Dec 27, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
I felt this was a pretty balanced look at Diana's life. Of course I had always seen her on the tabloids and knew of her beauty and good works, but this was an interesting side I had never known. I also didn't realize how brutal the Brit tabloids are. Very interesting history of her and Chrales from the get-go. So many events, people, and incidents seemed to collide to ruin what could have been a real fairy-tale. Let us hope that the world treats Kate Middleton with much more kindness!
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was ok
Typical story that fed on the madness following her death.
Tom
Jul 04, 2012 Tom rated it liked it
This is the latest title I've read in the ever-growing list of Diana biographies. This account initially starts out as a rebuttal of the Diana-was-crazy theme, an approach that was later sketched out quite persuasively by Sally Bedell Smith's book. The authors tend to downplay Diana's bulemia, and claim that her tumble-down-the-stairs incident during her first pregnancy was just a slight slip down three stairs, not a full-fledged suicide attempt. I think they do succeed in showing Diana in the f ...more
Faith
Jul 01, 2013 Faith rated it it was ok
While I wasn't overall very impressed with the cut-and-paste feel of this book, I have come away from it with a deeper respect for Prince Charles, who while he wasn't always very good to her in life, seems to have tried his hardest to do the very best he could for her in death.
Abel Lima
Nov 08, 2016 Abel Lima rated it really liked it
A great read, getting the perspective of both Princess Diana and Prince Charles.
Stacie C
Mar 23, 2015 Stacie C rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
For my birthday in 1997, I had a sleepover in a tent in my backyard. I remember waking up very early in the morning, it was still dark out, going into the house and seeing my mother awake on the couch watching Princess Diana’s funeral. I knew then that she was beautiful, royalty and had died tragically in a car crash. I also knew that she had been married to Prince Charles and had two sons. I remember the purple Beanie Baby that was released in honor of Princess Di. I remember everyone had great ...more
Lama Obeid
Feb 24, 2016 Lama Obeid rated it really liked it
Shelves: playster
I enjoyed that this biography was based on a large number of interviews and stories from Di's supporters and those who viewed her as a threat to the monarch thus giving the reader the story from different perspectives which tends to decrease the bias.

Throughout the book, there was a strong presence of photographers, journalists, and paparazzi to scrutinize the smallest details of royal life and make them available to the public for further scrutinizing. The marriage of Di and Charles was seen a
Betelgeuse
Jun 07, 2014 Betelgeuse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chi vuole scoprire qualcosa in più su Diana.
Recensione pubblicata su Cronache di Betelgeuse

Questo libro rappresenta una ricostruzione della vita di Diana, con spezzoni di interviste ai suoi amici e collaboratori. L’idea è affascinante ma troppo asettica, con un susseguirsi di dichiarazioni che non suscitano molte emozioni. Non c’è nessuna riflessione critica su Diana, sui suoi errori e sulle sue qualità.

Percorriamo la sua vita come se fossimo un giornalista a caccia di informazioni, cercando amici e parenti che la conoscevano già in tener
Georgiana Romanovna
Aug 20, 2013 Georgiana Romanovna rated it really liked it
Diana: Story of a Princess was very intriguing to read. I have read other books about Diana and all of them seemed to be quite unbiased in their views of not only Diana, but of the relationships she had with Charles her husband and the British Royal Family, otherwise known as the "firm". This book was extremely biased in Diana's direction, but in my opinion it was cleverly written to appear biased when in fact it left me for once genuinely questioning whether she did things for the sake of other ...more
 Barb Bailey
May 01, 2008 Barb Bailey rated it really liked it

Thought this woman had class! But after reading this book have mixed feelings about how she handled her personal life. Unfortunately she had personal problems which were not helped by marring Charles.To her credit, she was a devoted Mother and loved children.Her public life ....she devoted to helping the underprivlidged. I think Charles is a poor excuse for a royal........a person who behaves badly and gets away with it because he has power and money.

Jacket
Diana contains information and insight
Tara
Dec 17, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
If you idolize Diana this book will change your view. It is sometimes harsh on her and challenges her motives. It often asks why Diana cared about the helpless and begs to the question if it was just for attention. The book questions her bulimia and accounts she gave.

The authors try to explain Charles in some ways, but draws a picture of Diana as childish and Charles stuck in his established role he was born into. Charles was given everything and didn't know how to give into Diana. He seems for
Julianne Buterbaugh
Mar 09, 2014 Julianne Buterbaugh rated it really liked it
Diana: Story of a Princess was very insightful. Surprisingly, it wasn't biased toward her or toward the royal family; it was simply informational. I learned so much from this book and through Diana's experience with eating disorders, the media (very heavily, the media), and the grey areas of love. I saw from someone else's eyes how much the media effects us every single day. Not only did I learn so much about the life of Diana Spencer, but I also learned about British culture and the monarchy. M ...more
Safra Ducreay
Mar 31, 2013 Safra Ducreay rated it liked it
I did like this book. Again, I read it during a time when I was coming into myself - in my early twenties. I'd never paid much attention to Princess Diana as a little girl - but I remember her death, actually I remember precisely where I was and the reaction it stirred from my family. She was a human, with human problems and under a tremendous amount of pressure. She did not have the life anyone would want - and that's not from the glamorous perspective of wearing a tiara and sequinned embellish ...more
Somer Canon
Dec 04, 2016 Somer Canon rated it really liked it
I was in seventh grade when she died. I remember watching her funeral procession in class. My grandma adored her. All I knew of her were the glowing angelic titles given after her death. This book is pretty balanced and it really paints Diana as a human, showing the warts under the dazzling designer gowns. Like others, I've come away from this with a bit of admiration for Prince Charles. Not that Diana was a monster, but as someone too young to have followed the story as it happened and only rea ...more
Jenn
I'm normally not one for biographies. I find most of the boring and hard to follow. This one wasn't boring, but it was hard to follow. There were too many name thrown out that half the time I felt like I needed to flip through the earlier pages just to see if this person had been mentioned before.

Not much new was revealed in this, I think mostly because it's not a new book anymore and most of Diana's life has been thrown out into the public, especially with the recent wedding of William.
Brianna Dowell
Mar 04, 2011 Brianna Dowell rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This is a biography about Princess Diana. It gives great detail about her life before and after her death. I'm having fun reading about her as Lady Diana and Princess Diana. It focuses on how her relationship started with Prince Charles and her love and kindness for others. She sounds like someone I could relate to. I hope to learn more about her.
Jill
Dec 13, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Though there was a clear bias toward Diana in this book, it is a well done and thorough biography. It isn't dry but it isn't over-dramatic either. Diana had a dramatic life but the tendency to over-dramatize it has ruined a few other biographies. This biography tells her story in an interesting way. Definitely a good read.
Zuzy
Aug 26, 2016 Zuzy rated it it was amazing
I think this was an amazing outlook on Dianas life. This showed the true character of the Prince and Princess of Wales. I recommend this book to anyone who would like to learn more about Diana. This showed a whole new side of the royal family.
Jack Fontane
Sep 18, 2012 Jack Fontane rated it really liked it
to get a non-biased understanding of the darling Princess, this is the book, crisp and clear..... and usually biographies are interesting than fictional mysteries and especially those of people like DIANA.....
Saba
May 17, 2013 Saba rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first biography I read. Even though I was 7 years old when she died, I've always wanted to know her story. & this book tells it pretty nicely.
The last 2 chapters, "Paris" & "Funeral" almost had me tearing up.
Candice Celdran
Oct 29, 2016 Candice Celdran rated it it was amazing
I found this book a very balanced account of both sides of the various story's mentioned over the years. I love that it gives you an honest view of Diana.
Pam
Aug 08, 2009 Pam rated it did not like it
I was hoping that the book would have more historical context but I'll keep going.
Jun 07, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
I just wanted an idea of who she was and why Prince Charles married her. I don't know how accurate this book's portrayal of her life was but it appeared pretty fair.
Ellen Stafford
Oct 01, 2016 Ellen Stafford rated it really liked it
A great insight into Diana's life. Such a sad story and a loss to the world.
Karen
Feb 20, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-biography
Another great look at Diana's life.
Hope
Jul 13, 2012 Hope rated it really liked it
Such a sad person...Such a tough life...Such a tragic ending..
Emily
Dec 23, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
Well written. It gave me an entirely new perspective on Diana. However it seemed biased towards Prince Charles.
Prix
Sep 27, 2007 Prix added it
interesting
Sandra
I read this during a time when my fascination with Diana was at an all time high, right around the time of her untimely death.
Sierra
Sierra rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2009
  • Princess Diana
  • Diana - Princess of Wales
  • Diana: Portrait of a Princess
  • Diana:  A Tribute to the People's Princess
  • The Making of a Royal Romance: William, Kate, and Harry--A Look Behind the Palace Walls
  • Diana: Closely Guarded Secret
  • The Royals
  • My Story

“I looked at her dress and I thought, Oh no, it’s awful. Because it was all scrunched up, it looked terrible. I just remember thinking, It doesn’t look like it’s been ironed. The Emanuels reacted the same way and dashed to the rescue. Once the train was properly spread out on the carpeted steps, it looked as dazzling as the young woman who was wearing it.” 0 likes
“She was extremely gentle, very shy, and she was someone that as a young girl you thought was everything a princess should be. Very beautiful, very young, very calm – and yet there was a kind of nervousness about her. But the feeling inside the cathedral was just enormous. It’s a very hollow place but it was filled with so much warmth and excitement. . ” 0 likes