Start by marking “The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories

The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Ozick is a kind of narrative hypnotist. Her range is extraordinary; there is seemingly nothing she can't do. Her stories contain passages of intense lyricism and brilliant, hilarious, uncontainable inventiveness.
Published January 1st 1971 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories

Greg
These stories aren't nearly as good as other stories of Ozick's I've recently read. They are a little over-written and too short-story-ish. The kind of stories that makes you think of school and that you imagine earnest writing students writing earnestly as they bear their soul on paper along with some extra words to make it look like their soul is more soulful than it probably really is, not that there is anything wrong with their soul to begin with but sometimes there is the feeling to embelli ...more
Spencer
May 16, 2014 Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first two stories, "The Pagan Rabbi" and "Envy: Or, Yiddish in America" were fantastic, and a great introduction to Cynthia Ozick's writing style, characterization, and themes (take note, anyone who has patiently listened to me gush about her over the past several months). The final story, "Virility," is ALMOST as great. It stumbles a little with the ending--I don't want to give anything away.

In between, there are four other stories, and they have their ups and downs. "The Dock-Witch" has gr
Ярослава
Oct 06, 2014 Ярослава rated it liked it
На відміну від її есеїстики - яку дуже люблю - в оповіданнях, чи бодай у цій збірці (втім, ранній) Озік шалено бракує елегантності й легкості. На одне оповідання - одна ідея (скажімо, "одні й ті ж вірші прочитуватимуть по-різному, залежно від того, якої статі, на читачеву думку, був автор тексту"). І оповідання висить на ідеї, самотнє й безформне, як пальто на вішаку. Зате стилістка вона чудова. Після перекладу її есеїстики в мене досі лишився рефлекс - щойно потрапляє до рук якась Озік, берися ...more
Rick
Jul 21, 2013 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Pagan Rabbi is an early collection of seven short stories—Ozick’s second published work of fiction, from 1971. The title story is about a bookseller whose books on mysticism are blamed for the suicide of a rabbi. The story begins, “When I heard that Isaac Kornfield, a man of piety and brains, had hanged himself in the public park, I put a token in the subway stile and journeyed out to see the tree.” The two men were friends of sorts, fellow students in rabbinical seminary, but not close exce ...more
Christina Cole
Feb 24, 2015 Christina Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, She seems to have such a way with picking the PERFECT words. "Pagan Rabbi" is absolutely enthralling as is "Virility".
Jan
Oct 04, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jan by: Linc Davis
English-language magical realism published in 1971, this collection of short stories by Cynthia Ozick deals largely with American Jews in the decade or so after the Holocaust. It's one of Ozick's early works and the only one of hers I've read. It's extremely well written in a slightly antique style. The overwrought inner agonies of the characters remind me of Russian and Eastern European fiction of the late 19th centuries. The fantastical and supernatural elements really spin my wheels, but the ...more
Dan
May 19, 2009 Dan rated it liked it
Because I had heard some business where she's highly critical of I.B. Singer, I did a general search and this book came up. I think the story "Envy" is her satire of Mr. Singer. I'm sure I could read an essay collection of hers, but she's one of those that I keep meaning to check out.
I'm on the case...

Just finished "Envy" terribly freaky story. Very sad--funny, but sad about the decline of Yiddish culture (kind of...).

Had to return it to the library. I will probably resume again at a later date
Hanna
"The more piety, the more skepticism. A religious man comprehends this. Superfluity, excess of custom and superstition would climb like a choking vine on the Fence of the Law if skepticism did not continually hack them away to make freedom for purity."

The first two stories are masterful.
Jan 18, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
I hadn't really meant to read this, but when I looked at the first page, I thought the writing was arrestingly direct and good. But while there are moments of wonderful writing here, the stories as a whole felt overlong and tired. Finishing this book was a bit of a chore.
Alla Polyakova
as all short story books go, I really enjoyed some stories and some went well over my head
Sharon K.
from the Alternatives library in the Women's Community Building
Kacy
Kacy marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Connor Mcgaha
Connor Mcgaha marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Bsmith
Bsmith is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Vessey
Vessey marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Rosalie
Rosalie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Tbk8
Tbk8 marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Merav Hoffman
Merav Hoffman rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2016
Jonathan Williams
Jonathan Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Roslyn
Roslyn added it
Dec 30, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Katrin
Katrin marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Eli K
Eli K marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
pitogo
pitogo marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Stefano Friani
Stefano Friani marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Ryan Allen
Ryan Allen rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
  • When Shlemiel Went to Warsaw and Other Stories
  • The Promised Land
  • Sacred Trash: The Lost and Found World of the Cairo Geniza
  • Beyond the Pale
  • Hillel: If Not Now, When?
  • Displaced Persons
  • Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers: An Intimate Journey Among Hasidic Girls
  • For the Relief of Unbearable Urges
  • In the Image
  • Through the Door of Life: A Jewish Journey between Genders
  • Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism
  • This Is Real and You Are Completely Unprepared: The Days of Awe as a Journey of Transformation
Recipient of the first Rea Award for the Short Story (in 1976; other winners Rea honorees include Lorrie Moore, John Updike, Alice Munro), an American Academy of Arts and Letters Mildred and Harold Strauss Living Award, and the PEN/Malamud award in 2008.

Upon publication of her 1983 The Shawl, Edmund White wrote in the New York Times, "Miss Ozick strikes me as the best American writer to have emerg
More about Cynthia Ozick...