Start by marking “Mom Said Kill” as Want to Read:
Mom Said Kill

Mom Said Kill

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From an Edgar Award-winning author comes the shocking true story of Barbara Opel, a woman who convinced a group of teenagers, including her 13-year-old daughter, to savagely kill her boss. photos. Original.
Published October 1st 2008 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Mom Said Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mom Said Kill

Yael
On April 18, 2001, Gregory and Teresa Heimann arrived at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, having just come in from Atkins, Arkansas to visit with Gregory's father, Jerry Heimann, whom they hadn't seen in five years. Expecting to be met at the airport by Jerry, they were disappointed to find he wasn't there to greet them. When they took the airport shuttle to his home in Everett, Washington, they were stunned to find not only that he wasn't home, but his house had been virtually stripped bar ...more
Eva Leger
May 17, 2009 Eva Leger rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jeannie
Recommended to Eva by: found it somewhere myself
Shelves: b-true-crime
I just finished this a few minutes and want to do this while it's still fresh in my mind. I should also say that this is the first true crime story I've read in a lot of years. This, for a time period of a few years or more, was pretty much the only genre I read, so while I am sort of knowledgable, it's been awhile.
One thing that struck me different with this book versus others I've read in the past is the legal spectrum. Others that I've read, with the exception of Ann Rule's book (she could n
♥ Marlene♥
Jun 23, 2012 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody!!
What a terrible book!!!

It was bad from the start. Constantly jumping around, the story was so weird because of this jumping.Not only that but he has different people, ones you have not even officially met in the book,ones that killed, tell different stories of the same events. There is no summerization at all and this stays so in the book. One of the worst true crime books I have read!

I hope this was one Burl Barer's first books because I know he has written good books too. So immensely glad I
Hippiemom
Well, I made it to page 100- and have decided this book is no longer worth my time. It is RARE that I do not finish a book. But this was tedious as well as totally boring. I have read true crime novels previously but was not prepared for how poorly this was written- dull, dull, and went in circles that made it all confusing. Don't waste your time.
Amy
Back on my true crime kick. Happened in Washington State in the early 2000's.
Veronica
A harrowing detail of a mother corrupting her children to commit murder. The book was okay, but I felt like I was reading a lengthy newspaper complete with transcripts from the court through its legal proceedings. It's like CSI in print form. What's lacking though, is Barbara's descend into the criminal life, like where she came from, what made her that way. I guess I expected it to be a biography, narrowing down into the psychological aspect of the crime.
Sonja Wennekes
Enjoyed it greatly. One messed up woman!!!

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy true crime and want a quick read. More background on Barbara would have made it more interesting or easier to understsnd her thought processes. Will now download "Murder in the family"
Ruth Turner

An interesting true story about a mother that recruits her children and some of their friends to murder her employer.

Unfortunately, it was badly written, often confusing, and boring. The story was more about the law than the crime and its perpetrators.

Wasn't worth the time to read it.
Kristen Doherty
About a mother that is the mastermind of a murder
Dec 20, 2008 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alexis W.
Too much political/social commentary.
Joe Roz
Joe Roz marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Becki Taylor
Becki Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Rachel Crandall
Rachel Crandall marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Debra Hall
Debra Hall marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Cheryl Popiela
Cheryl Popiela marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Heather Redford
Heather Redford marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Danielle McGrath
Danielle McGrath marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
octavia marshall
octavia marshall marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Leeann Fjeld
Leeann Fjeld marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014