The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1)

The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Published September 30th 2008 by Minotaur Books

Garlan
This is Barber's first novel, set in the American SW (New Mexico) that won the Tony Hillerman Award in 2007. It has the usual first novel flaws; excess descriptions, and some narrative that doesn't propel the story. A good editor could have pared a little bit out. Still, overall this was a good book. The story was good, and the characters were believeable. The basic storyline is about Lucy, an editor for a local newspaper who gets a tip on a murder from an unnamed source. She develops a working...more
Veronica
May 23, 2009 Veronica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hillerman fans, lovers of New Mexico.
Recommended to Veronica by: the New Book shelf
Shelves: 2009, adult-fiction
For anyone who judges a book by its cover, you may notice the medal stating that this book is the first winner of the Tony Hillerman award. Although I have never personally read any of Hillerman's work, due to the vivid descriptions of the New Mexican landscape and the rich characters created by Ms. Barber, The Replacement Child seems well-deserving of the praise. This book follows a clever (albiet risk-taking) female reporter through a tale of crime, betrayal, and deceit set in the rugged South...more
MB
A lot of characters to keep straight in the beginning, but I hope this is the first of a series. It's a perfect mystery, in my mind. You can't predict the ending, or any of the twists, but the wrap-up isn't so farfetched you find yourself gnashing your teeth. And I especially liked that it's set in Santa Fe and makes reference to places I know from my visits there. Makes me want to go back.

Lots to like about the main characters. Flawed, but not to the point of being unlikeable. Not too slutty,...more
Sharonm
It's easy to see why this first book in the Gil Montoya and Lucy Newroe series won the first Tony Hillerman award for a debut mystery set in the Southwest. I had previously read and loved the third in the series, which made me want to go back to the beginning of the series. Barber sets this series in Santa Fe, one of my favorite places. Each of the books added to my knowledge and appreciation of the area. I've just got one left, BONE FIRE, and I'm looking forward to that one. Hopefully, Barber'...more
Cris
I picked up The Replacement Child because it won the Tony Hillerman Prize which is awarded to a first novel set in the American Southwest.

Barber did a good job with her setting; both the physical geography and the cultural behavior came through convincingly. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the other aspects were written nearly as well. Barber clearly focused on characterization, and she *did* show rather than tell. But while I know lots of things about the various characters, I don't feel l...more
Monty
The author of this book is the winner of the first Tony Hillerman novel writing contest. The story is rich with New Mexico landmarks and culture. The first 40-50 pages were a little rough reading but once that was over the story ran on its own steam. I could hardly wait to find out how the murders would be solved. I would have given this book four stars, but I didn't like how Lucy, one of two main characters, was such a lush. I recommend this as a change of pace book to read.
Nancy
Best mystery I've read in a long time! Learned about New Mexico, too. A win-win.
Kayeb
I would read this author again and enjoyed the book.

Late on a Monday night, editor Lucy Newroe answers the phone in the Capital Tribune newsroom. The caller is the notorious Scanner Lady---an anonymous elderly tipster whose hobby is to phone the newspaper with gossip from her police scanner. The old woman tells Lucy she heard two Santa Fe cops discussing a dead body. But when Lucy checks out the tip, she discovers Scanner Lady has been killed.
She tries to enlist the help of Detective Gil Montoy...more
Quillracer
An interesting story with some predictable but mildly surprising twists.

Barber has many ‘day to day’ life scenes for the major characters that, while they eventually tied into the plot, seemed overly long compared to their degree of relevance to it. For most of the book, they read as if Barber had set to chronicle every moment of their lives, making this feel more like a literary or ‘slice of life’ novel than a mystery.

Barber offers a good description of northern New Mexico, but never made the p...more
Candace
Jan 17, 2014 Candace rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of mysteries set in the Southwest US
This was not a bad book. I had no trouble reading it through to the end, and as I read it involved me more. It's set in northern New Mexico, which is an interesting setting.

The main problem with the book is simply that the fact that it was a first effort showed. Pacing, character development, plot believability -- all seemed to have been worked over. Because there are so many mysteries out there, a less than stellar debut doesn't impress.

However, I do have to say that I plan to read at least o...more
LeeAnne
This is the first in a series that is set in Santa Fe and other locations in Northern New Mexico. It is also the winner of the Tony Hillerman prize. The author does a good job at making the history of Santa Fe color the story. If you are familiar with Santa Fe, Taos, the high road to Taos, the Santuario at Chimayo, this book will make you feel like you're there, breathing in the thin air redolent of green chili, tamales and pinon smoke. I'll definitely be looking for subsequent books in this ser...more
Susan Gardiner
I love reading books that are set in places I've had a chance to visit. Having experienced the dazzling, vertigo-inducing view from the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge as well as the mystery and beauty of Santa Fe and Taos area I really enjoyed the strong sense of place and culture that the author invoked which is a primary character in the book. Though I found her main character a little hard to like or understand at first I think she'll grow on me. Am looking forward to the 2nd in the series.
Jeanette
This was a Tony Hillerman Award winner and is set in Santa Fe so that is a good start. Lucy Newroe is a somewhat bored editor at the local paper. She's given a tip by Scanner Lady, an anonymous reader who listens to her police scanner, about a murder that doesn't show up on the police blotter. Was it real or imagined? Then Scanner Lady is murdered. Lots of good local color, not a lot of gore. Lots of twists and turns and interesting characters.
Monica
I liked the New Mexico setting a lot. The descriptive writing was well done. Lucy Newroe is annoying a lot of the time - insecure, drinks and flirts too much, and a dogged reporter the rest.

For me the most interesting characters are Gil Montoya, the detective, and Senora Baca, the religion crazed mother of one of the murder victims. Pretty good for a first novel, but the Hillerman comparisons are wide of the mark, I think.
Merelyn
Set in New Mexico, this is a police-newspaperwoman crime story. Probably expected too much as the author cited Tony Hillerman as her mentor & influence. Not put together too well, but a fairly good story. A young girl is murdered & the quest begins for the killer. We meet lots of characters in this book, & all seem likeable. Not a strong lead though. OK book.
Debbi
So glad I found this one. Barber put right there in northern New Mexico and I was on the High Road with them. Good story, excellent depiction of the nuances of historical Santa Fe and environs. I liked the characters, the story and the setting (now I'm getting redundant). Excited that there is another book...
JoDee Howard
I just finished this book and, in the end, I liked it. It was slow to pick up and I had no problem taking breaks from reading it. It didn't consume my mind all the time, like the Left Behind books or some others I've read, but I'd recommend it to someone looking to do some light reading in their spare time.
Rebecca
Interesting. I'm currently obsessed with New Mexico - so this hit that spot. Also, this was pretty fascinating from the female perspective. The main character - so many flaws - so familiar. The mystery itself - so opaque. I'm looking forward to any other books she may write..
John Kues
Interesting character development, likeable too. The author adds a lot of New Mexico history particularly Santa Fe, and the plot is a bit involved but it was a good read.
Cathy
Loved it! Great character development. If you have ever been to Santa Fe you will love all the local references and history.
Patricia
A pretty easy read. I found a couple of the characters annoying, but otherwise it was interesting.
Andrea
This book was so slow. It took me a while to get into, and even then, it wasn't very climatic.
Scott
Written in Tony Hillerman style, good characters, slightly lame plot twists
Barbara
May 06, 2009 Barbara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
Didn't care for the characters and it was a bit too noir for me.
Leeanne
I liked the journalist character, she was believable
Marsha
NM local color
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Mae
Mae marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Dolly Departed (Gretchen Birch, #3)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery #2)
  • Dante's Numbers (Nic Costa, #7)
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Glass Devil
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Killer Keepsakes (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree Genealogy #1)
The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2) When the Devil Doesn't Show (Gil Montoya Mystery #3) Winter Wonderland: A Short Story By: