Start by marking “Little Tree” as Want to Read:
Little Tree

Little Tree

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In a warm and touching poem, e.e. cummings describes the wonder and excitement of a young brother and sister who find a little tree on a city sidewalk and carry it home, where they adorn it with Christmas finery.
Published August 9th 1994 by Dragonfly Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Tree

Katie Voss
Jan 19, 2016 Katie Voss rated it it was amazing
There are many illustrated versions of this endlessly wonderful poem, but this one is by far my favorite. The colors, tone and shading all illuminate the true warmth and magic of Christmas that children so often experience, even in less-than-typical circumstances. The illustrations are so beautifully matched with the poem that the book practically glows.
Reuben
Dec 28, 2015 Reuben rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children, holiday
A charming children's book, Little Tree combines beautifully simple poetry and illustrations with a perhaps overly simplistic story to create a quick but worthwhile holiday reflection.
John
Dec 03, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theo-s-dreamship
beautiful, timeless illustrations of a very simple, heart-centered text. my boy loved it and wanted to go back to the beginning immediately. it's very brief.
Amy
Probably great for toddlers or preschool age. :)
Francesca Bertucci
Feb 05, 2012 Francesca Bertucci rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I picked this book because I thought it would be interesting to read poetry for children that was written by EE cummings. I liked reading the book. I enjoyed how it wasnt just a poem that rhymed. It actually had a deeper meaning then just rhyming. Also, the illustrations were very interesting to look at. I think the overall intention was a little unclear but overall I think its a great poetry book for children
Linda
This has been a favorite Christmas book for a long time. Each verse of the poem is illustrated in soft colored pencil sketches. If you can find it, I hope you enjoy it. It’s beautiful.
Miri
Jan 20, 2016 Miri rated it really liked it
The illustrations are sweet and warm, but not my favorite style. I'd like to see the versions done by Chris Raschka and Mary Claire Smith for comparison. And the poem, of course, is beautiful.
Lisa
Aug 20, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful poem makes a beautiful little book. Just enough of just the right words. Leaves me with a warm and fuzzy smile every time.
Debbie Hoskins
Fun poem. Deborah's beautiful illustrations tell the story of brother and sister decorating the little tree without a whole lot of money.
Tessa
Jan 02, 2011 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book. Nice illustrations. My 5 year-old loves reading it right now. I love that it is a poem by e.e. cummings.
MaryJane
Dec 27, 2010 MaryJane rated it it was amazing
I read this to my girls when they were young. This year I read it at the "Joy of Reading" celebration at the public library.
Angie Libert
Dec 27, 2013 Angie Libert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
An excellent Christmas-time poem.
Teri
Jan 06, 2016 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, poetry
I always love finding poetry made into a children's picture book. This one is nice at Christmastime.
Peyton Price
Nov 08, 2012 Peyton Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a treasure. My favorite Christmas poem, rendered beautifully.
Meredith
Excellent poem by e.e. cummings.
Melissa Vessells
Melissa Vessells marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Lulu
Lulu rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Kathy Hasty
Kathy Hasty rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Eliza
Eliza rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Wood Dickinson
Wood Dickinson rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Eduard
Eduard marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...