Start by marking “The People in the Attic: The Haunting of Doretta Johnson” as Want to Read:
The People in the Attic: The Haunting of Doretta Johnson

The People in the Attic: The Haunting of Doretta Johnson

In 1987, Doretta Johnson and her family moved into their dream home and immediately found themselves under an escalating paranormal attack - a horrifying onslaught that threatened the family, their sanity, and, ultimately, their lives. This is a horrifying journey through the murky, inscrutable realm of the paranormal - objects that levitate, shadowy apparitions, terrifyin ...more
Published October 1st 1995 by St Martins Pr (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The People in the Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People in the Attic

Marie
Jan 31, 2017 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-paranormal
This book was a really good true paranormal read as the author and her family endured very active entities in her house. The book takes an unexpected turn halfway through as the house is not the only thing haunted. Not giving away spoilers, so you will just have to read the book to find out what I am talking about.

Very fast paced and the book had me spooked most of the time as every creak in my house was giving me the willies as I was reading it. Five "spooky" stars for this one.
Sabrina Rutter
Imagine my surprise when I discover that I grew up in the same town that this haunting took place! Then I was surprised again to see that she once worked in the factory that my dad manages! It was nice knowing exactly what the town she described looked like! I had no idea when I ordered this book that the story takes place in Madison Indiana! I even remember watching something about this haunting on TV when I was a kid!

I really enjoyed this book! I like that it terrified me and in the end left m
Brandon
Feb 24, 2016 Brandon rated it did not like it
With its long dry spells from actual supernatural activity and frequent (ghostwritten) purple prose, I just can't get past the feeling that this is really Mrs. Johnson's vain attempt to gift to the world her biography. Since nobody would be interested in her humdrum broken-home story on its own, what better way to tell the world her (boring) story than to hire herself a writer to paint her as a psychic hero fending off ghosts and sins of the past? To me, this book smacks of insincerity on all le ...more
Rebecca McNutt
I liked this book but it seemed overdramatized for what it was. However, it does have a lot of emotion and gripping moments.
Dan
Dec 08, 2013 Dan rated it did not like it
It's like "Communion" but with ghosts!
Rhonda
May 18, 2015 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Doretta and her family move into what was once a hotel in Madison, Indiana. Doe and her husband have high hopes of fixing the hotel up and either renting out the rooms or - running a daycare from the main home itself.

Once the family was moved in, they began experiencing weird paranormal phenomenon such as odd smells, sounds and they began experiencing weird electrical surges that would burn up appliances or explode light bulbs.

It was clear the house did not want to be fixed up when after trying
Julia ✩
Aug 19, 2012 Julia ✩ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books
This book, or rather the diary of Doretta Johnson, is an interesting read both to those who believe in the paranormal, as well as to those who don't. Personally, I would advise you to read this with an open mind. The reason why I'm giving it 5 stars is because it was such an interesting thing to read, it really pulled my mind into it, it's scary as hell too, (much better than the fictional Exorcist), and in the end, it managed to capture my curiosity and interest in regards to questions that cou ...more
Ann
Oct 25, 2013 Ann rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. Doretta Johnson and her family moved into their dream home in Madison, Kentucky in 1987. As soon as they moved in their problems started. The paint would not stay on the walls, the appliances broke, the light bulbs popped. Doretta began to keep a journal to keep track of the events that were happening to her family. Her young daughter told her she had a friend, a little girl who lived all alone in the attic. She herself began to see people who shouldn't be there. Th ...more
Jamie Parkest
Jun 15, 2013 Jamie Parkest rated it liked it
This is a quick read.It is more like a diary.It deals with a woman and her family as they move into a house in the 1980's. What happens next is a paranormal attack that causes the family to go insane and fall apart. Some of the book is a bit far fetched for me, but if you are like me and love to read, it's a descent book to fill an afternoon with.
Jessica
Jan 06, 2017 Jessica rated it really liked it
Part memoir, part scary story, this book held my attention and kept me reading long into the night. There were several genuinely creepy moments. It's a short, fast read that paranormal fans will no doubt enjoy.
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
I was left confused by this one. While the story itself was compelling, there were too many questions left unanswered. For ghost fans only! and be ready to read with an open mind, or just don't bother!
Tess
May 20, 2008 Tess rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tess by: anyone who loves a ghost story
i found this book in the indiana room of my public library, which is a room dedicated to books written by indiana authors. so, it's a true ghost story that takes place in madison, indiana! the book scared me and i read it again and again.
Ash
Oct 20, 2011 Ash rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really don't know what to make of this true haunting story. It was definitely an engaging read, though some of it seemed pretty unbelievable.I was left feeling pretty confused in the end as to what actually was going on and what was resolved.
theghostwriter
Apr 06, 2009 theghostwriter rated it it was amazing
A mother's perspective who seems to be a conduit for some major poltergeist activity. Well written for this genre!
Heather Peelman
Oct 20, 2010 Heather Peelman rated it really liked it
I got so freaked out while reading this! I live only 30 minutes away from where this took place. If you like a good scare you should read this book for sure.
Linn Nordnes
Oct 14, 2012 Linn Nordnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I LOVE this book!! :D
Blade
Oct 09, 2008 Blade rated it it was amazing
I have read this book numerous times and am still captivated by the way she retells her story.
Kiko Coyona
Jul 11, 2016 Kiko Coyona rated it it was amazing
A chilling story that I absolutely love. I especially liked when hey added some of the pictures of the hauntings. I hope Doretta and her family are doing much better now.
Dylan Mathews
Jan 13, 2011 Dylan Mathews rated it it was amazing
This is a great read that will keep you turning the pages and will freak you out. Don't read it with the lights off...but, of course then you couldn't see it anyway.
Boots Smith
Boots Smith rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2011
Madison Gaetz
Madison Gaetz rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Jackie Murphy
Jackie Murphy rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
samantha
samantha rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2017
Anna Thomas
Anna Thomas rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
glenn huffman
glenn huffman rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Mandy Pinoteau
Mandy Pinoteau rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2014
Cari
Cari rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2012
CLIFFORD REDD
CLIFFORD REDD rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2015
Alan Chua
Alan Chua rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths, and True Tales
  • The Sallie House Haunting: A True Story
  • The Ghosts on 87th Lane: A True Story
  • Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters
  • Ghosts: True Encounters from the World Beyond
  • Graveyard (Ed & Lorraine Warren #1)
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places