Start by marking “Fight The Power” as Want to Read:
Fight The Power

Fight The Power

Chuck D, the creative force behind Public Enemy and one of the most outspoken, politically active and controversial rappers in music, discusses his views on everything from rap and race to the problems with politics in society today.
Published September 1st 1997 by Dell Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Fight The Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fight The Power

Gabe
Aug 06, 2007 Gabe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literates
Chuck is a very interesting guy. Having listened to his records and heard him speak, I've always felt he tends to beat around the bush a lot, but when he does make his point, it's very insightful. This book is no different. There are lots of mistakes as far as grammar in this thing (some are intentional "hip-hop" spelling mistakes while others are unintentional and should have been caught by the editor). Even so, it's a pretty decent read. I especially liked the chapter that covered Public Enemy ...more
Ali  Driggers
Nov 26, 2013 Ali Driggers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
W M
I had some difficulty marching through the text, as I am not very familiar with some aspects of language that Chuck D uses. I am used to reading to literature from those are less well known. I support D in what he advocates, and I hope him well. I am not really up to date in Rap culture, but I would be interested in seeing how he has spent the last twenty years as an advocate.

I admit that his language left me a little dismayed at times. His message is so strong and powerful that I do understand
Danger Kallisti
I liked this book because it said things that everybody should already know, and nobody ever mentions. Like, a whole lot of no-bullshit, proper observations about people and society. Of course, it also gave a lot of propers to the authors' rap group (understandable, but still a cheesy way to market yourself) and some people I'm not sure about, like Minister Farrakhan. Sure as hell ain't my place to judge, but I can't say I'm behind any separatist movement. Seems regressive.. or somethin.
Jeffrey Bumiller
Dec 04, 2015 Jeffrey Bumiller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, which unfortunately feels a little dated (It was published in 1997). Chuck D lays it all on the line and doesn't shy away from anything. He's always inspiring. To this day I love listening to Public Enemy. It was really exciting to read about Chuck's early years as a radio DJ and of course, the formation and early days of Public Enemy. Must read for any fan or anyone that wants a serious dose of some truth.
Mary
Aug 27, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing documentation of HipHop/Rap through the years. It's an encyclopedia to the community, to the mistakes and evolution over the decades. All with a sincere approach to storytelling. It has funny bits as much as it gets into more serious business tips. I would suggest this read to the youth that think LMFAO is good rather than just a funny performance!
Caroline
I first read this for a Youth Culture course I took during undergrad and have since used excerpts of it (the chapter "Black Community, Where Ya At?") in my teaching. Chuck D's ideas are frightening, brilliant, and revolutionary.
Darrell
Nov 08, 2008 Darrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a morning train book
a little rough when compared to some current blogs
but commendable for the message it is putting out there and
the fact that there aren't too many books out there by rappers, period.
Donald
Sep 14, 2010 Donald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, but the book is over 10 years old. I got it used and some of the incidents he references without explanation, I rembember hearing about but since they're so far in the past I don't remeber the details. I like the explantions of some of the thought behind PE's lyrics.
Yaicha
Yaicha rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2015
Andrew Nielsen
Andrew Nielsen rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2014
Porter
Porter rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Ashley Lamont
Ashley Lamont rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Eoghan
Eoghan rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Ash Ward
Ash Ward rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Dan Still
Dan Still rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Timothy Minneci
Timothy Minneci rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Shaun Barton
Shaun Barton rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Alt_de_lete
Alt_de_lete rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Rafa Gil
Rafa Gil rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2007
sanjana
Read it for an awesome class with Dr. George White :)
Salvatore Talluto
Salvatore Talluto rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2013
Alex Smith
Alex Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2011
David
David rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Jay
Jay rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Karl Jones
Karl Jones rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Juiceifer
Juiceifer rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2013
Billy Nbomb
Billy Nbomb rated it did not like it
Feb 01, 2011
Matthew Roth
Matthew Roth rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Yes Yes Y'all: The Experience Music Project Oral History Of Hip-hop's First Decade
  • Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists
  • Raising Kanye
  • Frank Zappa: The Negative Dialectics of Poodle Play
  • Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD
  • An Autobiography
  • The Godfather Of Soul: An Autobiography
  • "With His Pistol in His Hand": A Border Ballad and Its Hero
  • Prophets of the Hood: Politics and Poetics in Hip Hop
  • Have Gun, Will Travel: The Spectacular Rise and Violent Fall of Death Row Records
  • Standing In The Shadows Of Motown: The Life And Music Of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson
  • Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture