Start by marking “Fight The Power” as Want to Read:
Fight The Power

Fight The Power

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Chuck D, the creative force behind Public Enemy and one of the most outspoken, politically active and controversial rappers in music, discusses his views on everything from rap and race to the problems with politics in society today.
Published September 1st 1997 by Dell Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Fight The Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fight The Power

Aug 06, 2007 Gabe rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literates
Chuck is a very interesting guy. Having listened to his records and heard him speak, I've always felt he tends to beat around the bush a lot, but when he does make his point, it's very insightful. This book is no different. There are lots of mistakes as far as grammar in this thing (some are intentional "hip-hop" spelling mistakes while others are unintentional and should have been caught by the editor). Even so, it's a pretty decent read. I especially liked the chapter that covered Public Enemy ...more
Ali  Driggers
Danger Kallisti
I liked this book because it said things that everybody should already know, and nobody ever mentions. Like, a whole lot of no-bullshit, proper observations about people and society. Of course, it also gave a lot of propers to the authors' rap group (understandable, but still a cheesy way to market yourself) and some people I'm not sure about, like Minister Farrakhan. Sure as hell ain't my place to judge, but I can't say I'm behind any separatist movement. Seems regressive.. or somethin.
An amazing documentation of HipHop/Rap through the years. It's an encyclopedia to the community, to the mistakes and evolution over the decades. All with a sincere approach to storytelling. It has funny bits as much as it gets into more serious business tips. I would suggest this read to the youth that think LMFAO is good rather than just a funny performance!
I liked it, but the book is over 10 years old. I got it used and some of the incidents he references without explanation, I rembember hearing about but since they're so far in the past I don't remeber the details. I like the explantions of some of the thought behind PE's lyrics.
I first read this for a Youth Culture course I took during undergrad and have since used excerpts of it (the chapter "Black Community, Where Ya At?") in my teaching. Chuck D's ideas are frightening, brilliant, and revolutionary.
this is a morning train book
a little rough when compared to some current blogs
but commendable for the message it is putting out there and
the fact that there aren't too many books out there by rappers, period.
Read it for an awesome class with Dr. George White :)
RK Byers
Too Black, Too Strong
Avocado marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Brittany J.
Brittany J. marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Danny Harris
Danny Harris marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
fromthedrain marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Bound_And_Flogged marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Dan Heimsath
Dan Heimsath marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Nadja Awad
Nadja Awad marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Hailor Moon
Hailor Moon marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Judah Martin
Judah Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Emma Stocker
Emma Stocker marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Tking250 marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
  • Yes Yes Y'all: The Experience Music Project Oral History Of Hip-hop's First Decade
  • Raising Kanye
  • Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists
  • Have Gun, Will Travel: The Spectacular Rise and Violent Fall of Death Row Records
  • The Godfather Of Soul: An Autobiography
  • Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture
  • Hot Stuff: Disco and the Remaking of American Culture
  • LZ-'75: The Lost Chronicles of Led Zeppelin's 1975 American Tour
  • Born to Use Mics: Reading Nas's Illmatic
  • More Beautiful and More Terrible: The Embrace and Transcendence of Racial Inequality in the United States
  • Pops: A Life of Louis Armstrong
  • Chuck Berry: The Autobiography
  • Check the Technique: Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies
  • KISS: Behind the Mask - Official Authorized Biography
  • Hit Hard: A Story of Hitting Rock Bottom at the Top
  • Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf
  • Book of Rhymes: The Poetics of Hip Hop
  • Black Noise: Rap Music and Black Culture in Contemporary America (Music & Culture)
Uprising: Crips and Bloods Tell the Story of America's Youth in the Crossfire Lyrics of a Rap Revolutionary, Vol. 1 Chuck D: Lyrics of a Rap Revolutionary Si Podemos: The Latino Parents Guide to Help Your Child Prepare for College