Obscure Destinies
read book

Obscure Destinies

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The jacket of the first edition of Obscure Destinies announced “Three New Stories of the West,” heralding Willa Cather’s return to what many thought of as “her” territory—the Great Plains. These three stories, “Neighbour Rosicky,” “Old Mrs. Harris,” and “Two Friends,” reflected her return to the well of memory that had inspired the books that made her reputation.The WillaC...more
Published December 1st 1998 by University of Nebraska Press (first published 1932)

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareThrough the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis CarrollTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareThe Invisible Man by H.G. WellsBlindness by José Saramago
Sight
122nd out of 200 books — 23 voters
O Pioneers! by Willa CatherThe Life of Mary Baker G. Eddy and the History of Christian S... by Willa CatherNot Under Forty by Willa CatherWilla Cather on Writing by Willa CatherAlexander's Bridge by Willa Cather
Best of Willa Cather
28th out of 31 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Scribble Orca
This is a use case scenario test to see if an apparently infamous pop up screen exhorting purchase in a Jungle Environment occurs. (The title should explain the choice of book for this experiment). Thus far nothing unToward a River has occurred. Comments will contain further results after the initial saving.
Don
One of the most distinguished of American novelists, Willa Sibert Cather wrote a dozen or more novels that will be long remembered for their exquisite economy and charm of manner. Her talent had its nourishment and inspiration in the American scene, the Middle West in particular, and her sensitive and patient understanding of that section of the country formed the basis of her work.

Much of her writing was conceived in something of an attitude of placid reminiscence.
NYT 4/25/47 - obituary of Wi...more
Katherine
“They were comfortable, they were out of debt, but they didn’t get much ahead. Maybe, Doctor Burleigh reflected, people as generous and warm-hearted and affectionate as they Rosickys never got ahead much; maybe you couldn’t enjoy your life and put it into the bank, too” (15).
“It was still early when the old farmer put aside his sewing and his recollections” (44).
“What Rosicky really hoped for his boys was that they could get through the world without ever knowing much about the cruelty of human...more
Katy
This title contains three short stories by Cather. Each story tells the destiny of an "obscure" person, those folks whom we all know but whom we rarely pay very much attention to, their lives and death, but yet the common thread they weave in our lives.

This is the first time I've read Cather since I've been in an American Lit class in college. I'd forgotten about her concise writing style and voice. These are stories I'd recommend for everyone. (If I taught high school literature, I would requir...more
Ashley Lane
Willa Cather always writes something worth reading. I am so intrigued by her ability to made daily lives seem so interesting. I am always riveted by her characters.
Carla
Willa Cather is one of my favorite authors, and certainly my favorite American writer. These novellas rank among her greatest writing-- and in particular, Old Mrs. Harris, is haunting as only Cather knows how to haunt. I cried when I read it for the first time, and I still cry when I read it again.
Janelle
I have to remind myself that she wrote these stories nearly 80 years ago. These were simpler times and yet the core of the stories are timeless. I felt for the characters and how their lives turned out based on society's expectations or a simple decision about which path to take.
Elizabeth
Willa Cather...there is nothing more to say. Her stories are profound, immense, dark, beautiful, captivating...so capturing every nuance of the human spirit with such amazing language. This collection is absolutely no exception.
Jami
Aug 01, 2007 Jami rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone.
As always, Cather's profiles of people and their places, the enduring and ephemeral relationships between them, are never sentimental, always emotional, and generally astounding.
Rachel
A man who loves too much? Two robber barons? An old frontierswoman? Shrug.
Joshua Oakley
Elizabeth Ann Cooper Collection
Patricia Boyle
Love Willa Cather stories.
Bonnie
Love Willa Cather!
Cilla
Cilla marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Kennon Parham
Kennon Parham marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Laura Macfehin
Laura Macfehin marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Amy Penne
Amy Penne marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Jane Stevenor
Jane Stevenor marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Erica Spangler
Erica Spangler marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Sapphire Alvarez
Sapphire Alvarez is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2014
Den
Den added it
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Wilella Sibert Cather is an eminent author from the United States. She is perhaps best known for her depictions of U.S. life in novels such as O Pioneers!, My Ántonia, and Death Comes for the Archbishop.

More about Willa Cather...
My Ántonia O Pioneers! (Great Plains Trilogy, #1) Death Comes for the Archbishop The Song of the Lark The Professor's House