The Predictors: How a Band of Maverick Physicists Used Chaos Theory to Trade Their Way to a Fortune on Wall Street

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Excerpted in The New Yorker and hailed by the business press, The Predictors is destined to become a classic of its generation--an antic, subversive odyssey into a universe defined by the mystical convergence of physics and finance.

How could a couple of rumpled physicists in sandals and Eat-the-Rich T-shirts, piling computers into an adobe house in Santa Fe, hope to take o...more
Published November 1st 2000 by Holt Paperbacks (first published November 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Predictors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Predictors

Erik Ferragut
This book is in some sense an average of the simplistic character synopses of Patterson's Quants and the more in-depth (but still pop) mathematics of Mandlebrot's the Misbehavior of Markets. The main characters are interesting and help to tie the story together. The most interesting thing is the subtitle, which is just wrong. The subtitle is "How a band of maverick physicists used chaos theory to trade their way to a fortune on wall street." I will admit that it is about a band of physicists who...more
Marcus
Imagine--a small group of physicists from UC Santa Cruz who once tried to break Vegas by modeling roulette, turning their attention to the markets on Wall Street. Can they model stock market trends using physics (or at least their physics way of doing things)? Will they prove that scientists are better than the good ol' boy trading jocks at making money?

In this in-depth and exciting firsthand account of naïve Wall Street wannabes, Bass walks the reader carefully through the origins of the seemi...more
Clare
This book fascinated and frustrated me. Smart people figuring out how to beat the market fascinated me. The lack of a rounding off or triumphant ending frustrated me - but I guess life is not always like that. Prediction Company does still exist, however, which I take as a sign that they've done extremely well. Bass's writing style is very engaging.
Chris
I enjoyed much of this book, even though at times I felt it rather dense and technical. I think if you've enjoyed books like "When Genius Failed" this is one you'll enjoy too.
Jeffrey
Interesting and engaging narrative - however some more detail into their actual trading systems would have been good (although there are probably good reasons why they did not want to release them).

Decent read, but would not say a must read.
Edward Monrad
Not very well written and jumped around often. Also had a lot in there that could have easily been removed. Short on the details I wanted to read. But a decent read nonetheless. Some thought provoking stuff in it.
Brookreader
Brookreader marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
N.L.
N.L. marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Lwshuo
Lwshuo marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Shivam
Shivam marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Brian Kong
Brian Kong marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Vitalijus Sostak
Vitalijus Sostak marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Alexander Freiman
Alexander Freiman marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Prashant
Prashant marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Eudaemonic Pie The Newtonian Casino The Spy Who Loved Us: The Vietnam War and Pham Xuan An's Dangerous Game Camping With The Prince And Other Tales Of Science In Africa Vietnamerica: The War Comes Home