Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows

Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Stanyan Street and Other Sorrows is divided into five segments and an autobiographical poem. Included are Stanyan Street, Kearney Street, The Yellow Unicorn, and a selection of lyrics from songs and poems written as early as 1954.
Published September 1st 1970 by Random House Trade (first published 1966)

Andrea

I have come as far away
as means and mind will take me
trying to forget you.
I have travelled, toured
turned a hundred times in the road
hoping to see you rushing after me.

At night,
though half a world away,
I still hear you sigh in several sizes.
The breathing softer when you're satisfied.
The plip-plop body machinery back to normal.

Remembering how warm you are
and how defenseless in your sleep
never fails to make me cry.
I cannot bear the thought of you
in someone else's arms
yet imagining you alone is sa...more
Jerome Peterson
This book of poetry launched Rod McKuen into the public eye as a poet with sensitive voice. Labeled as the lonely poet Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows is no exception. Coming from an underdog's point of view McKuen's poetry is concise, tender, and straight to the heart of the matter. His words flow, roll, and at times scratch for the longing us human beings strive for: to love and be love. I like the concept of streets, places, and people alive with construction crews, encounters in the park,...more
Miriam
Sep 24, 2012 Miriam marked it as to-read
Shelves: poetry
Not now -- I've been too homesick for San Francisco lately. But someday.
Susan
Love is worth the time
it takes to find
Think of that
when all the world
Seems made of walk up rooms
and hands in empty pockets

Christie
Such memories of my teen angst. I remember reading this book -- over and over and over -- and feeling like someone understood the sad journey into lost love. I was probably 14 (:->)

His poetry though still stands for it's melancholia. I bet teenagers today would read these poems and love them.
Maureen
Jun 29, 2008 Maureen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: poetry
Most of the poems in this book have to do with lost love. When it was first published, it was an immediate sensation, and one of the books seen on college campuses everywhere. Even though I have not read these poems in many years, I remember this book fondly.
April
Oct 11, 2008 April rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ronnie
Recommended to April by: Mom
When I first started reading poetry back in my pre-teen years, my mother handed me down some of her old college reads and this was my favorite. I cannot explain what it strikes in me but I could always pick it up and read a few poems.
Eva
This is a book of poems by a known songwriter. I haven't read much poetry but I am looking for new genres. I found this easy to read, some poems better than others and most relating to lost love.
Theo Logos
This volume evokes warm memories. I first discovered it while on an epic hitchhiking trip sometime in my early 20s; an age that is particularly vulnerable to McKuen's peculiar talent. Not long after that I was reading it by candlelight to seduce a charming young British lady. While McKuen is no Byron, memories like that are worth four stars at a minimum.
C.J. Heck
I bought this book back in 1971 and I still have it. I was working as a flight attendant for TWA at the time and I spotted it in an airline terminal book shop.

It was my first introduction to the writings of modern poets and I fell in love with the way he put things. It's still a favorite.
Adam
Jul 18, 2013 Adam rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
There were a few nice turns of phrase, but taken as a lot, this volume had little affective impact.
Sheila
A gift from my husband. It has been a treasure. We also have the music from The Sea.
Amanda
This one was sadder, but no less good. It's very much a look back on other times.
Janet Lynch
Ditto for this one. Read my Listen to the Warm review.
Anne Bomkamp
This was not my favorite of his but I still like it.
Charles
Gotta say I liked it.
Ann M
I liked it. I was 12.
Darlene Ruiz
so san francisco
Linda Aggans-korte
Linda Aggans-korte marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Rod McKuen (born April 29, 1933) is a bestselling American poet, composer, and singer, instrumental in the revitalization of popular poetry that took place in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Born Rodney Marvin McKuen in Oakland, California, McKuen ran away from home at the age of eleven to escape an alcoholic stepfather and to send what money he could to his mother. After a series of jobs, from logger,...more
More about Rod McKuen...
Listen to the Warm Lonesome Cities In Someone's Shadow Caught in the Quiet Come To Me In Silence

“Sometimes I think people were meant to be strangers.
Not to get to know one another,
not to get close enough to damage the heart
made older by each new encounter.”
0 likes