Start by marking “Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows” as Want to Read:
Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows

Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  309 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Stanyan Street and Other Sorrows is divided into five segments and an autobiographical poem. Included are Stanyan Street, Kearney Street, The Yellow Unicorn, and a selection of lyrics from songs and poems written as early as 1954.
Published September 1st 1970 by Random House Trade (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows

Andrea
Aug 28, 2007 Andrea rated it really liked it

I have come as far away
as means and mind will take me
trying to forget you.
I have travelled, toured
turned a hundred times in the road
hoping to see you rushing after me.

At night,
though half a world away,
I still hear you sigh in several sizes.
The breathing softer when you're satisfied.
The plip-plop body machinery back to normal.

Remembering how warm you are
and how defenseless in your sleep
never fails to make me cry.
I cannot bear the thought of you
in someone else's arms
yet imagining you alone is sa
Jerome Peterson
Dec 08, 2012 Jerome Peterson rated it really liked it
This book of poetry launched Rod McKuen into the public eye as a poet with sensitive voice. Labeled as the lonely poet Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows is no exception. Coming from an underdog's point of view McKuen's poetry is concise, tender, and straight to the heart of the matter. His words flow, roll, and at times scratch for the longing us human beings strive for: to love and be love. I like the concept of streets, places, and people alive with construction crews, encounters in the park, ...more
Susan
Oct 13, 2007 Susan rated it liked it
Love is worth the time
it takes to find
Think of that
when all the world
Seems made of walk up rooms
and hands in empty pockets

Miriam
Sep 24, 2012 Miriam marked it as to-read
Shelves: poetry
Not now -- I've been too homesick for San Francisco lately. But someday.
Bert
Dec 12, 2015 Bert rated it liked it
Warm and full of that romantic youngsadness of the 60's confessional, lyrical poets. Beds, cigarettes and San Francisco. The 'Eight Songs' bit at the end are really just song lyrics, so they rhyme, so me no enjoy. But Stanyan Street, the poem, is just lovely.

'I have total recall of you
and Stanyan Street
because I know it will be important later.'
Maureen
Jun 29, 2008 Maureen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: poetry
Most of the poems in this book have to do with lost love. When it was first published, it was an immediate sensation, and one of the books seen on college campuses everywhere. Even though I have not read these poems in many years, I remember this book fondly.
April
Oct 11, 2008 April rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ronnie
Recommended to April by: Mom
When I first started reading poetry back in my pre-teen years, my mother handed me down some of her old college reads and this was my favorite. I cannot explain what it strikes in me but I could always pick it up and read a few poems.
Don Incognito
Apr 04, 2016 Don Incognito rated it liked it
When I read how critics snubbed Rod McKuen's poetry, I dismissed them as snobs. Which was probably fair; but it's also fair to observe that the poems in this collection are not very deep or interesting. The only noteworthy feature of the collection is the very strong and consistent melancholy mood and theme of sorrow. But the poems are extremely thin; uncomplicated in structure and thought, and not challenging. They're poems that I, lacking poetic talent, could have written. Or some twenty-year- ...more
Arthur Cravan
Feb 21, 2016 Arthur Cravan rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
2.5 stars & was originally going to give it a 3 as I felt guilty giving the 2, but it currently stands at 4 straight stars & I'm not sure about it, so I will do what is unusual for me & round down. The thing is, this book of poetry is almost completely unremarkable, & McKuen himself (no, bad judgement words, will keep in only to show the train of thought but let's not judge the man) - well, this book, at least shows him as a simpleton. Some of it is quite nice & charming & ...more
Christie
Sep 05, 2013 Christie rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Such memories of my teen angst. I remember reading this book -- over and over and over -- and feeling like someone understood the sad journey into lost love. I was probably 14 (:->)

His poetry though still stands for it's melancholia. I bet teenagers today would read these poems and love them.
Eva
Jun 25, 2008 Eva rated it did not like it
This is a book of poems by a known songwriter. I haven't read much poetry but I am looking for new genres. I found this easy to read, some poems better than others and most relating to lost love.
Darlene Ruiz
Nov 09, 2012 Darlene Ruiz rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
so san francisco
Yasmina Elhayane
Jul 15, 2015 Yasmina Elhayane rated it really liked it
I own a copy of Stanyan Street that was my dad's back in the 70s. Stanyan Street was the first book of "adult" love poetry that I read as a small kid. I can truly say that this book changed my life and made me love poetry and songwriting. The poems seem a bit schmaltzy now. Harder to enjoy if one's eyes are dimmed with the cynicism of adulthood! A worthwhile read!
Luvjunqi
Sep 19, 2014 Luvjunqi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adored
The first time I ever picked up anything from Rod McKuen, was in my adolescence. I found this very issue of this collection among a pile of riff-raff at the local Catholic thrift shop. I bought it, skimmed it and didn't put it down that year. I read and re-read some of the poems like an insatiable addiction. The way he writes about feelings of alienation, loneliness, awkwardness and love were a reflection of my psyche at the time. And the fact that I had just gotten back from a trip to San Franc ...more
Josh
Jan 18, 2016 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read.
Theo Logos
Feb 21, 2013 Theo Logos rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This volume evokes warm memories. I first discovered it while on an epic hitchhiking trip sometime in my early 20s; an age that is particularly vulnerable to McKuen's peculiar talent. Not long after that I was reading it by candlelight to seduce a charming young British lady. While McKuen is no Byron, memories like that are worth four stars at a minimum.
C.J. Heck
Jun 13, 2013 C.J. Heck rated it it was amazing
I bought this book back in 1971 and I still have it. I was working as a flight attendant for TWA at the time and I spotted it in an airline terminal book shop.

It was my first introduction to the writings of modern poets and I fell in love with the way he put things. It's still a favorite.
Adam
Jul 18, 2013 Adam rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
There were a few nice turns of phrase, but taken as a lot, this volume had little affective impact.
Sheila
Jan 27, 2008 Sheila rated it really liked it
A gift from my husband. It has been a treasure. We also have the music from The Sea.
Amanda
Jul 31, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
This one was sadder, but no less good. It's very much a look back on other times.
Janet Lynch
Feb 05, 2011 Janet Lynch rated it did not like it
Shelves: the-sixties
Ditto for this one. Read my Listen to the Warm review.
Anne Bomkamp
Oct 11, 2012 Anne Bomkamp rated it liked it
This was not my favorite of his but I still like it.
Charles
May 26, 2009 Charles rated it liked it
Gotta say I liked it.
Ann M
Nov 21, 2009 Ann M rated it liked it
I liked it. I was 12.
Pat Branch
Pat Branch rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2016
Beki Hall Scarbrough
Beki Hall Scarbrough marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Tristan Wolf
Tristan Wolf rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
  • Starting from San Francisco
  • Apples of Gold
  • Desiderata: A Poem for a Way of Life
  • Dreamer's Dictionary
  • The Best Loved Poems of the American People
  • How to Become Ridiculously Well-read in One Evening: A Collection of Literary Encapsulations
  • Selected Poetry
  • Scars Upon My Heart: Women's Poetry And Verse Of The First World War
  • Birches
  • The Erotic Spirit: An Anthology of Poems of Sensuality, Love, and Longing (Shambhala Library)
  • Collected Lyrics
  • The Rag and Bone Shop of the Heart: A Poetry Anthology
  • The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
  • The Blue Estuaries
  • Collected Poems
  • 1,000 Years of Irish Poetry
  • I Touch the Earth, the Earth Touches Me
  • Divine Right's Trip
Rod McKuen (born April 29, 1933) was a bestselling American poet, composer, and singer, instrumental in the revitalization of popular poetry that took place in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Born Rodney Marvin McKuen in Oakland, California, McKuen ran away from home at the age of eleven to escape an alcoholic stepfather and to send what money he could to his mother. After a series of jobs, from logger,
More about Rod McKuen...

“Sometimes I think people were meant to be strangers.
Not to get to know one another,
not to get close enough to damage the heart
made older by each new encounter.”
8 likes