Scarred

Scarred

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  47 reviews
This is a large print edition. The entire story is reprinted in this version at 16 point font for easy reading.
Biker gangs known as regulators rule the streets of a war-torn city with hate and pain -- their cruelty is etched into every inch of Dae's battered body. He has never known anything but hurt from the hands of men ... until he meets Coby.
When the new regulator...more
Published February 2007 by Aspen Mountain Press (first published June 10th 2002)

Evenfall by Santino HassellMind Fuck by Manna FrancisIn His Command by Rie WarrenFirst Against the Wall by Manna FrancisWhen You Were Pixels by Julio-Alexi Genao
Gay Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopic
18th out of 138 books — 244 voters
Mind Fuck by Manna FrancisEvenfall by Santino Hassell18% Gray by Anne TeninoA Strong and Sudden Thaw by R.W. DayHeroes & Ghosts by S.A. Payne
Gay Romance Futuristic Fiction
9th out of 111 books — 146 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelley
So disappointed in what promised to be a great story. I loved the premise, but the execution falls flat.

The age gap between the MC's doesn't work for me.

Coby doesn't work for me: a boy who commands a group of lawless hardcore regulators. How? ... Why?

After the first 35% I skimmed just about everything. I got bored with Dae's inner monologue and irritated with his ridiculously selfish sister. The final confrontation was ridiculous, and I'm still scratching my head over it all.

Emma Sea
Others have already written my exact review, but I'll add my version here anyway.

Five-star writing that sucked me in, only for the structure, characterization, and premise to abandon me.

Delia. Started out believable, became annoying, and then (view spoiler) O_o

The biker brawl climax . . . no.

The name McBane? Very no.

So. Much. Sweeping.

Snyder 5-starring their own book: pet peeve.
Kati
A couple of weeks ago, I finished reading this amazing book: "Scarred" by J. M. Snyder. This book is self-published (though there are no tons of mistakes or bad grammar or similar things that you sometimes find in such books) and it contains four gay stories, two sci-fi and two set in our present time.

"VR Palace" tells the story of a man who falls in love with a boy from virtual reality. The main part of the plot is about how real virtual reality can be because suddenly, the boy doesn't react as...more
Serena Yates
This is such a great story. It isn't warm and fuzzy, and it's not about love in the sense many m/m romances talk about it. But man, it sure pulls a punch.

Dae lives in a post apocalyptic world of cruelty and survival of the strongest. He suffers enormous humiliation and torture so his sister will be safe. He thinks he's a coward, but the inner strength he needs to get through several ordeals is more than I can imagine.

Coby seems to be one of the tough gang leaders at first. But there is an undeni...more
~Lei ~  Reading Is An Adventure ~
✰✰✰½
In this post-apocalyptic world, regulators who ride around in biker gangs are the law and with that power comes abuse. Dae and his sister, Delia and and orphan Maeve they took in are just struggling to survive in this new world order and keep their lives and diner together. Delia is young and pretty and always catches the eyes of these rough men so Dae takes her place and is abused in all kinds of different ways and has the scars to prove it. He has been the toy of an especially abusive regu...more
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Have you ever wondered what life would be like if your world wasn't as organized and civilized as it probably is now? Would there be chaos or would a new kind ruler take over? Scarred provides some very disconcerting answers to those questions.

In a world where there appears to be no central government after a devastating war, things are run by the Regulators. They're nomadic, motorcycle gangs who, while they do roam, claim territory. Any people who live in that territory are also property of th...more
Ami

This is the third story by J.M. Snyder that I read and I am very impressed with the emotion that she can envoke with her writing. In the world where biker gangs are the regulators who rule the city, Dae must protect his younger sister, so he takes all the brutality that comes to him in order to let her sister away from all that. He has been raped, tortured, used like nothing -- he has scars and bruises and broken bones as constant reminders. His life is constant loneliness . Until one...more
MandyM
Amazing short story set in a post apocalyptic world where biker gangs (regulators) control the streets. Dae owns a diner on the edge of town where he ekes out a life for himself and his sister. To protect his sister Dae is subjected to the attentions of a violent and sadistic regulator, McCabe. Dae has no choice but to accept it until a new regulator comes into town.

This story pulls no punches about the facts of life in this desolate future world. When Coby shows an interest in Dae, he is cynica...more
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
I was probably a bit hesitant when starting this book (recommended for me); not really sure if it would suit my interest. It didn't take long and I was completely drawn in. There's such a raw element to the story because of the violence (past and present), but also because of the emotion. I desperately wanted Dae to be cherished and experience love - man did he deserve it! I don't usually enjoy a book written from a 1st person POV, but this one had so much going for it that it didn't matter. My...more
Mouse
Wow. This book is intense. It's heavily about rape and abuse -- so if those are triggers, avoid this book!

Yet it was sweet.

The problem was the relationship ran the line of being coerced. He says he wants it, but there's no out. I had problems with this (of course), but it was so well done that I forgave huge leaps that I otherwise wouldn't have.

The ending was dumb. The fight scene needed work. :)

Otherwise it was a great short novel.
J.P. Barnaby
This book was like a train wreck for me, it was disturbing, but I just couldn't stop reading it. I saw some Stephen King influence in the book which I found interesting, and it was consistently well done.

If you're looking for happy fluffy, this book isn't it and I appreciate the author all the more for that. If you're looking for a raw and emotionally charged read - then dive right in.
Rhianon
Hands-down, a solid 5-star read. Warnings for references to noncon/rape, violence, blood (and worse).

This one is more post-apocalyptic futuristic fiction than the conventional "science fiction" genre. Still, those details are minor. The world-building is secondary, but still strong and well-woven.

Best aspect of this book is by far the character development. Dae and Coby are both beautiful creatures, despite the circumstances that have forged them into something other than what they would've chos...more
Elisa Ramblings
In an post apocalyptic world, Dae owns a diner in an almost abandoned city. No law reigns unless the regulators' law, biker gang who patrolling the zone.

Dae must protect his younger sister and so he takes on him all the brutality of the gangs member, in particular of the leader. So now Dae is alive but his body is scarred, like his soul. He no more has hope.

But one day a new regulater arrives in the city: Coby is younger but he is also a born leader. But when he is with Dae, he has a gentle to...more
Omega696
I expected a great book but it was mearly ok.

I liked biker-gang's leader, even thought it was rather strange how a boy managed to step on top of the band of lawless men. I think THAT might have been an interesting story to tell.
Dae was irritating allong with his sister. He forgot just like that years of abuse and fell head over heels in love? Very unrealistic. Dealia was more convincing, at least for a while. Later on, her selfishness and cuting remarks became simply tiring.

The final showdown wa...more
Caroline Brand
The world is lawless and teams of regulators roam the streets on their motorbikes taking what they want. To protect his sister from the hands of McBane a truly nasty regulator he is frequently raped and tortured and his body is covered in scars. When Coby arrives one night he is almost too good to be true. Dae has never come across a regulator like him. He is softly spoken, gently and seems to care. He returns nightly - the outcome being that he wants to claim Dae as his lover but in order to do...more
Shannon
Well that was an intense little read. I couldn't figure out the time period or the country in took place in. I'm pretty sure it was modern times and it felt like Ireland or somewhere like that. It was a war torn little town where bikers ruled and basically terrorized everyone. Until....a new group came to town. The things that Dae's had to endure were just horrific but there's light at the end of that painful tunnel. His sister drove me a little crazy with her bitchiness but I understood it for...more
Eden Winters
I have a massive collection of m/m books, and this is one of my favorites. In a post apocalyptic world, a man persists, holding on to life as best he can amidst a hostile environment. Even in such a place, heroes exist...

Though some may not, I love hurt/comfort if handled properly. J.M. Snyder does just that. Though painful to read because of the raw emotion it evokes, Scarred tugs at your heartstrings, and makes you believe that even in hard time and in hard people, decency exists.
Lilladii
This gets a solid 2.5 stars for me☆☆

(-。-;

I enjoyed the premise of the story but not how it was slowly being unfolded and laid out. It sort of started to fall apart for me about less than half way through the book.(; ̄ェ ̄)

Its too bad too because this had such promise if it was executed better. But I will try to check other books by this author.

(= ̄ ρ ̄=) ..zzZZ BLAH
Eve
The kindle version of this ebook on Amazon just contains the main novella, "Scarred" not 4 stories as some other reviewers have found in the paperback. That said, it is a very nice story.
Forrest
Loved it...I'm a sucker for the broken victim rescued by the bad boy :)
Page Crusherz
I love it. I've read it before but every now and then it needs a revisit.
LoriO.
No sex, just some cuddling
Deja Black
Have you read this book? If not, why haven't you? You are missing a beautifully tragic story, and you won't be able to take a breath until you finish. You are missing a soulfully dispirited man so very helpless, a martyr for his family trapped and suffering. You are missing the gasps and sighs of sympathy for this barren soul. You are missing the sister who loves him dearly and is so angry at being unable to save him. You are missing the strong young knight on a shining motorcycle that barrels i...more
Sonya
Aug 27, 2010 Sonya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sonya by: Dlee
Shin
This book wasn't really the type of story I usually read, quite the opposite, I try to avoid these. But since it was by J.M. Snyder and she does intense and emotional drama very well, I couldn't help myself and read it.
Dae is deeply scarred in more ways then one. He's used to being abused and raped by pretty much every "regulator" (bikers who rules the city and claim everything they can) that comes to his restaurant. But one in particular takes pleasure in torturing him both mentally and physica...more
Charly
Difficult to read, but certainly not without merit

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- Some scenes in this book are so bittersweet and tender that they literally brought tears to my eyes. (Granted, the subject matter is something that strikes very close to home for me.)
- The setting is unusual and the premise is unique--unlike anything else I’ve ever encountered in this genre. The world of the story is bleak, and the characters succumb at tim...more
TF
This was just the kind of story I like I just wish that it'd been longer. Dae sacrifice himself for his sister and a young girl that lives with them. There's hardly any place left on his body that isn't covered in scars. Cody comes to town with his gang mostly to irritate Dae's tormentor but when Cody insist on sharing Dae's bed things change. Dae has never felt any gentle touch and he doesn't know if can trust the peace he finds in Cody's embrace. I really good story.
Pinky
I got lost in this story. Very descriptive. I could feel his pain and loneliness. Feel the grimness of the situation Dae and his sister and Mave are in. Very well written.
Saphirablue
Emma Sea
Apr 24, 2014 Emma Sea marked it as really-tippy-top-of-the-heap
NTS: ordered in paperback
Spotlighting Some August Releases From JMS Books 1 3 Aug 26, 2011 12:01PM
Two Holiday Short Stories From Sweet To Hot, Hot, Hot 1 5 Dec 14, 2009 10:23AM
  • Hajiri's Pet (Midnight Rain #1)
  • Outcast Mine
  • Twice-Caught (Tarin's World, #2)
  • Shattered Heart
  • Cat Toy
  • A Policy of Lies
  • Fallon's Jewel
  • Stealing Life
  • The Initiation of Pb500 (Pb500, #1)
  • Creation's Control (Creations, #2)
  • Cage Match
  • Skin Deep (Fae, #1)
  • Easy
  • Broken Boundaries
  • That's What Brothers Do
  • Amaranth & Ash
  • Details of the Hunt (Details, #1)
  • Soft Focus
An author of gay erotic/romantic fiction, J.M. Snyder began in self-publishing and worked with Amber Allure, Aspen Mountain, eXcessica, and Torquere Presses.

Snyder's highly erotic short gay fiction has been published online at Amazon Shorts, Eros Monthly, Ruthie's Club, and Tit-Elation, as well as in anthologies by Alyson Books, Aspen Mountain, Cleis Press, eXcessica Publishing, Lethe Press, and R...more
More about J.M. Snyder...
Power Play Persistence of Memory Joy Ride Love in the Library Fuck the Foreplay