Start by marking “Scarred” as Want to Read:

This is a large print edition. The entire story is reprinted in this version at 16 point font for easy reading.
Biker gangs known as regulators rule the streets of a war-torn city with hate and pain -- their cruelty is etched into every inch of Dae's battered body. He has never known anything but hurt from the hands of men ... until he meets Coby.
When the new regulator
Published February 2007 by Aspen Mountain Press (first published June 10th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Scarred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarred

Evenfall by Santino HassellMind Fuck by Manna FrancisFade by Santino HassellAfterimage by Santino HassellThe Interludes by Santino Hassell
Gay Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopic
27th out of 206 books — 351 voters
Mind Fuck by Manna FrancisEvenfall by Santino HassellFallocaust by Quil Carter18% Gray by Anne TeninoA Strong and Sudden Thaw by R.W. Day
Gay Romance Futuristic Fiction
7th out of 127 books — 168 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma Sea
Others have already written my exact review, but I'll add my version here anyway.

Five-star writing that sucked me in, only for the structure, characterization, and premise to abandon me.

Delia. Started out believable, became annoying, and then (view spoiler) O_o

The biker brawl climax . . . no.

The name McBane? Very no.

So. Much. Sweeping.

Snyder 5-starring their own book: pet peeve.
Apr 24, 2013 Shelley rated it it was ok
So disappointed in what promised to be a great story. I loved the premise, but the execution falls flat.

The age gap between the MC's doesn't work for me.

Coby doesn't work for me: a boy who commands a group of lawless hardcore regulators. How? ... Why?

After the first 35% I skimmed just about everything. I got bored with Dae's inner monologue and irritated with his ridiculously selfish sister. The final confrontation was ridiculous, and I'm still scratching my head over it all.

Jul 17, 2007 Kati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of weeks ago, I finished reading this amazing book: "Scarred" by J. M. Snyder. This book is self-published (though there are no tons of mistakes or bad grammar or similar things that you sometimes find in such books) and it contains four gay stories, two sci-fi and two set in our present time.

"VR Palace" tells the story of a man who falls in love with a boy from virtual reality. The main part of the plot is about how real virtual reality can be because suddenly, the boy doesn't react as
2.5 Stars

This is REALLY hard for me to rate/review. Did I like it? I think? I want to, but there's certain things I had issues with. Let me start with those:

(view spoiler)
Serena Yates
Oct 11, 2010 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
This is such a great story. It isn't warm and fuzzy, and it's not about love in the sense many m/m romances talk about it. But man, it sure pulls a punch.

Dae lives in a post apocalyptic world of cruelty and survival of the strongest. He suffers enormous humiliation and torture so his sister will be safe. He thinks he's a coward, but the inner strength he needs to get through several ordeals is more than I can imagine.

Coby seems to be one of the tough gang leaders at first. But there is an undeni
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~

In this post-apocalyptic world, regulators who ride around in biker gangs are the law and with that power comes abuse. Dae and his sister, Delia and and orphan Maeve they took in are just struggling to survive in this new world order and keep their lives and diner together. Delia is young and pretty and always catches the eyes of these rough men so Dae takes her place and is abused in all kinds of different ways and has the scars to prove it. He has been the toy of an especially abusive regulato
Aug 28, 2011 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Amazing short story set in a post apocalyptic world where biker gangs (regulators) control the streets. Dae owns a diner on the edge of town where he ekes out a life for himself and his sister. To protect his sister Dae is subjected to the attentions of a violent and sadistic regulator, McCabe. Dae has no choice but to accept it until a new regulator comes into town.

This story pulls no punches about the facts of life in this desolate future world. When Coby shows an interest in Dae, he is cynica
Skye Blue
The beginning was good, and I was hooked.
Dae and Colby started off great, but, didn't quite follow through with making a solid connection, but at least the foundation was started.

The fight was off...or maybe I missed something. My issues were (view spoiler)
Nile Princess
Loved! This was an intense and beautifully written novella about a diner owner in a post apocalyptic world falling for the leader of one of the biker gangs that terrorize the town. From the beginning though Coby, biker, is gentle, kind and unlike the other biker who physically abuses Dae (diner owner). I was drawn in right from the beginning by the simple but immensely evocative writing and the physical awakening of Dae's sexual urges. He actually wanted Coby, which was something he'd never expe ...more
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Have you ever wondered what life would be like if your world wasn't as organized and civilized as it probably is now? Would there be chaos or would a new kind ruler take over? Scarred provides some very disconcerting answers to those questions.

In a world where there appears to be no central government after a devastating war, things are run by the Regulators. They're nomadic, motorcycle gangs who, while they do roam, claim territory. Any people who live in that territory are also property of th
This is the third story by J.M. Snyder that I read and I am very impressed with the emotion that she can evoke with her writing. In the world where biker gangs are the regulators who rule the city, Dae must protect his younger sister, so he takes all the brutality that comes to him in order to let her sister away from all that. He has been raped, tortured, used like nothing -- he has scars and bruises and broken bones as constant reminders. His life is constant loneliness . Until one day, a new ...more
I expected a great book but it was mearly ok.

I liked biker-gang's leader, even thought it was rather strange how a boy managed to step on top of the band of lawless men. I think THAT might have been an interesting story to tell.
Dae was irritating allong with his sister. He forgot just like that years of abuse and fell head over heels in love? Very unrealistic. Dealia was more convincing, at least for a while. Later on, her selfishness and cuting remarks became simply tiring.

The final showdown wa
Wendy Ann
Oct 04, 2010 Wendy Ann rated it really liked it
I was probably a bit hesitant when starting this book (recommended for me); not really sure if it would suit my interest. It didn't take long and I was completely drawn in. There's such a raw element to the story because of the violence (past and present), but also because of the emotion. I desperately wanted Dae to be cherished and experience love - man did he deserve it! I don't usually enjoy a book written from a 1st person POV, but this one had so much going for it that it didn't matter. My ...more
Nov 11, 2012 Mouse rated it really liked it
Wow. This book is intense. It's heavily about rape and abuse -- so if those are triggers, avoid this book!

Yet it was sweet.

The problem was the relationship ran the line of being coerced. He says he wants it, but there's no out. I had problems with this (of course), but it was so well done that I forgave huge leaps that I otherwise wouldn't have.

The ending was dumb. The fight scene needed work. :)

Otherwise it was a great short novel.
J.P. Barnaby
Aug 07, 2010 J.P. Barnaby rated it it was amazing
This book was like a train wreck for me, it was disturbing, but I just couldn't stop reading it. I saw some Stephen King influence in the book which I found interesting, and it was consistently well done.

If you're looking for happy fluffy, this book isn't it and I appreciate the author all the more for that. If you're looking for a raw and emotionally charged read - then dive right in.
Dec 07, 2014 Theresa rated it did not like it
This was a non con relationship. Coby came to possess McBane's boy toy Dae in a territory take-over. First Coby extorted and then he manipulated Dae in a physical relationship. Dae was so abused that any kind of gentle attention by Coby made him fall in love with him. Dae didn't even realize the gold necklace was a collar. And for all of her protests, Delia fell for the same personal attention from a biker as her brother. Stockholm syndrome was the relationship theme of this book.

Coby was so you
Aug 29, 2010 Rhianon rated it it was amazing
Hands-down, a solid 5-star read. Warnings for references to noncon/rape, violence, blood (and worse).

This one is more post-apocalyptic futuristic fiction than the conventional "science fiction" genre. Still, those details are minor. The world-building is secondary, but still strong and well-woven.

Best aspect of this book is by far the character development. Dae and Coby are both beautiful creatures, despite the circumstances that have forged them into something other than what they would've chos
Elisa Rolle
In an post apocalyptic world, Dae owns a diner in an almost abandoned city. No law reigns unless the regulators' law, biker gang who patrolling the zone.

Dae must protect his younger sister and so he takes on him all the brutality of the gangs member, in particular of the leader. So now Dae is alive but his body is scarred, like his soul. He no more has hope.

But one day a new regulater arrives in the city: Coby is younger but he is also a born leader. But when he is with Dae, he has a gentle to
Caroline Brand
Sep 01, 2013 Caroline Brand rated it really liked it
The world is lawless and teams of regulators roam the streets on their motorbikes taking what they want. To protect his sister from the hands of McBane a truly nasty regulator he is frequently raped and tortured and his body is covered in scars. When Coby arrives one night he is almost too good to be true. Dae has never come across a regulator like him. He is softly spoken, gently and seems to care. He returns nightly - the outcome being that he wants to claim Dae as his lover but in order to do ...more
Aug 13, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Well that was an intense little read. I couldn't figure out the time period or the country in took place in. I'm pretty sure it was modern times and it felt like Ireland or somewhere like that. It was a war torn little town where bikers ruled and basically terrorized everyone. Until....a new group came to town. The things that Dae's had to endure were just horrific but there's light at the end of that painful tunnel. His sister drove me a little crazy with her bitchiness but I understood it for ...more
❣✐❃ Michaelle - wants the WayBackMachine for GR ❃✐❣
4.3 Stars

See, the last book I read by Snyder was barely over a 2 star story IMHO but this one is so much better. I almost loved it, which shocked me, because there's some mention of way non-consensual non-con, with a couple family-sized sides of evil sadism. Glad that wasn't actually on the page. (And anyone that says just because he didn't fight it, just because he let it happen to protect it from being his sister getting abused, that it isn't rape -- I will fucking cut a bitch.) (Just sayin'.)
Nov 04, 2014 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-erotica
Scarred is a collection of four gay themed short stories.
The first, VR Palace, an ordinary guy escapes regularly to indulge himself at a video reality parlour where he goes by the name James. He has created his ideal: a cute young guy who can be whatever and wherever he wants him to be, he merely has to think it and it is so. But when the game doesn’t react quite as it should, perhaps the result of a virus, and the cute boy begins to think for himself, make demands, what should James do; have th
Eden Winters
Dec 17, 2009 Eden Winters rated it it was amazing
I have a massive collection of m/m books, and this is one of my favorites. In a post apocalyptic world, a man persists, holding on to life as best he can amidst a hostile environment. Even in such a place, heroes exist...

Though some may not, I love hurt/comfort if handled properly. J.M. Snyder does just that. Though painful to read because of the raw emotion it evokes, Scarred tugs at your heartstrings, and makes you believe that even in hard time and in hard people, decency exists.
Joyfully Jay
Sep 08, 2015 Joyfully Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: crissy
A Joyfully Jay review.

I have a thing for bad boys—especially of the motorcycle club variety—and for urban fantasy. Scarred leans heavy on the dystopian fantasy scale with extra badness. I liked it for the creativity and originality, but I also had some issues.

I didn’t feel like the world was drawn very well. It actually took me a bit to realize the world was dystopian and that the regulators (read: badass bikers) pretty much ruled things. Cool. But the war that ravaged everything was
Aug 11, 2013 Lilladii rated it it was ok
This gets a solid 2.5 stars for me

I enjoyed the premise of the story but not how it was slowly being unfolded and laid out. It sort of started to fall apart for me about less than half way through the book.(;ェ)

Its too bad too because this had such promise if it was executed better. But I will try to check other books by this author.

(= ρ=) ..zzZZ BLAH
Apr 25, 2014 Eve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The kindle version of this ebook on Amazon just contains the main novella, "Scarred" not 4 stories as some other reviewers have found in the paperback. That said, it is a very nice story.
Feb 27, 2014 Forrest rated it it was amazing
Loved it...I'm a sucker for the broken victim rescued by the bad boy :)
Page Crusherz
Feb 09, 2013 Page Crusherz rated it it was amazing
I love it. I've read it before but every now and then it needs a revisit.
R.M. Jane
Mar 30, 2015 R.M. Jane rated it it was amazing
First of all, my judgement is a bit biased. It was one of the first mm novels I read so it has a special place in my heart. If I read it later I would have given it only 4 stars, but it is still a great read. I loved Rae, but would have wanted him to be more selfish at times. I like flawed characters who develop a backbone, and I thought his behavior believable. If you are not a bodybuilder, have a younger sister and a business to protect, you can't say no to biker gangs. If that makes him a cow ...more
Nov 06, 2010 LoriO. rated it liked it
Shelves: 80-mm, 33-ebook
No sex, just some cuddling
Spotlighting Some August Releases From JMS Books 1 3 Aug 26, 2011 12:01PM
Two Holiday Short Stories From Sweet To Hot, Hot, Hot 1 5 Dec 14, 2009 10:23AM
  • Shattered Heart
  • Outcast Mine
  • Hajiri's Pet (Midnight Rain #1)
  • Cat Toy
  • Details of the Hunt (Details, #1)
  • The Arroyo
  • The Initiation of Pb500 (Pb500, #1)
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • That's What Brothers Do
  • Angel's Evolution
  • Sanctuary  (Off World, #2)
  • Cage Match
  • Fallon's Jewel
  • Intimate Traitors
  • Pathfinder
  • Broken Boundaries
  • Blind Space
  • Merge (Converge #2)
An author of gay erotic/romantic fiction, J.M. Snyder began in self-publishing and worked with Amber Allure, Aspen Mountain, eXcessica, and Torquere Presses.

Snyder's highly erotic short gay fiction has been published online at Amazon Shorts, Eros Monthly, Ruthie's Club, and Tit-Elation, as well as in anthologies by Alyson Books, Aspen Mountain, Cleis Press, eXcessica Publishing, Lethe Press, and R
More about J.M. Snyder...