The Youngest Hero

The Youngest Hero

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In this emotional story of parental love, a single mother of a teenage baseball player who exhibits the batting eye of a professional athlete, tries to shield and protect her son from the world of over-zealous scouts, hard-nosed coaches, and money-hungry agents. Guided by his mother's firm and steadfast wisdom and his extraordinary talent, both mother and son make it to th...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Warner Faith (first published March 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Youngest Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Youngest Hero

Adrian Miral
This book was very interesting, as sports books are my favourites. This book is about a young boy named Elgin Woodell and his single mother trying to make Elgins baseball dreams come true. He wants to be the star baseball player his dad once was, until drugs and alcohol wasted him. Elgin and his mom, Miriam move to Chicago, and instantly, he meets kids his age who play baseball. Every day they would play, but he wanted to play on a league team. So he was signed up, but dominated his age group, s...more
Ron
Forget Left Behind, Jenkins hits a home run with sports books. The Youngest Hero has great storytelling, a great story, and great heart.
Alex Laferriere
The Youngest Hero, written by Jerry B. Jenkins, takes place in the city of Chicago during the late 1900’s. It is about a young boy, Elgin, whose family is torn apart by stress and anxiety. His father, who had the talent to play professional baseball, ruined his career and became a drunken alcoholic who never sees his son anymore. His mother, although she loves him very much, works long days and does not see Elgin much. Consequently, Elgin is a lonely boy, who has only one thing to hold on to, ba...more
Melissa
young baseball player and his mother. Great story about love and parenting but a bit too drawn out. Listened to audio.
Megan
This was another of my FIL's audiobooks we listened to on our road trip. If you like baseball you will enjoy this book! If you don't like baseball...you will probably still enjoy this book! The storytelling is fabulous (I thought it was a true story at first, the details were so superb...and I don't know any baseball history). It's one of those feel good books that critics probably hate but it just makes you smile. This book was a Home Run!
Rogelio
I like the book in a way that I was able to appreciate more about baseball. Though I had difficulty in understanding some baseball jargon like the baseball throws players use such fastpitch, curves, etc. Anyway, the story focuses on the struggles of a Mother and her son, the youngest hero, in moving forward with their lives even without a man in the family while doing the things that matter the most -- being together and achieving their dreams.
Paula-O
This was a great story of a young boy who loved his dad and wanted to be just like or better then his dad in baseball. He taught himself many things and excelled in the game by working very very hard to learn the game. His mother helped him by the way they lived and she supported his dream. You will like this book whether you are a baseball fan or not, I did...
Elisa
Story of forgiveness, love and focus on God's calling. Set in Chicago, and written from the perspective of the mom and her son. At times, the son seems unrealistically adult to be only 11 years old, but I've never met a child prodigy before either. An easy, enjoyable read.
Lawrence
I'm a baseball fan and I've enjoyed many other Jenkins stories. So this combination made for a quick and entertaining read. I think it's enjoyable even if you don't like baseball because Jenkins makes you care about the main characters.
Sheila
As much as I hate to admit it I thoguht the book dragged on for the first 200 pages. Once it picked up the pace though I did enjoy it, although not as much as I have some of Jenkins' other works.
Jessica
Not my favorite. That may have to do with the fact that I am not a baseball fan. There was lots of baseball stats and talk of different plays. Just not my thing.
Brandee Terry
This was a quick and easy read. I love Jenkins and his style of writing and this book is no exception.
aqua
Jun 23, 2008 aqua rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who knows baseball well
Recommended to aqua by: my dad bought me it
about baseball, fouls, fly balls, curve balls, pitching machines...and a life without your dad
Chris
Nov 20, 2008 Chris is currently reading it
This book so far is good. I smile every time i read it
Jean
I wasn't too crazy about this book. Too much baseball.
Cindy
This was a book about baseball. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I would know more about baseball. Still a good book.
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Julie Drucker
Julie Drucker marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Maria Bailey
Maria Bailey marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jerry Bruce Jenkins is an American novelist and biographer. He is best known as co-author of the Left Behind series of books with Tim LaHaye. Jenkins has written over 180 books, including mysteries, historical fiction, biblical fiction, cop thrillers, international spy thrillers, and children's adventures, as well as non-fiction. His works usually feature Christians as protagonists. In 2005, Jenki...more
More about Jerry B. Jenkins...
Soon: The Beginning of the End (Underground Zealot, #1) Left Behind Series Hardcover Gift Set (Left Behind, #1-6) Riven The Vanishings: Four Kids Face Earth's Last Days Together  (Left Behind: The Kids, #1) Shadowed: The Final Judgment (Underground Zealot, #3)