Start by marking “Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:
Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia

Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This is the second edition of Roxon's original 1969 Rock Encyclopedia. It was issued 5 years after her 1973 death, and so the cover and title page contain the entry "compiled by Ed Naha". Many of the entries from the original edition were not included in this one, and many newer artists were added to this one by Naha.
softcover, 611 pages
Published June 1st 1971 by The Universal Library (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia

Jason Koivu
For a mere quarter at a used book sale, I picked up Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia, one of the first serious compilations on rock music. What a great thrift-score!

As a music journalist focused on San Francisco and New York in the late 1960s, Roxon was uniquely positioned to absorb a wealth of knowledge on the breaking music of the day.

Now, 40+ years after its publication, the book is a fun read for a couple reasons. The first being that there are many minor, no longer active acts mentioned
Ray
Invaluable reference work. Always within reach.
Craig
I purchased Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia when it was released in the early 70's and I'm now on my second copy, having worn out the first one. This was the first serious rock encyclopedia and should now be considered as one of the landmark books in rock literature and journalism. For several years, there were no other rock reference books like it. Roxon's Encyclopedia is now dated by 40 years and she wore her own musical prejudices on her sleave. But it is still great reading for anyone with ...more
Allan
Jan 18, 2013 Allan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: students of pop history, students of culture history
Recommended to Allan by: no one.
Shelves: reference
If you're a serious interest in some of the origins of R'n'R, this is for you. There have been times I've consulted this on a daily basis. I must have bought my copy at a HS library bookfair. My copy is not losing pages yet.
Mike
Mar 04, 2010 Mike is currently reading it
An amazing resource. A great way to find out about old bands I've never heard of.
Gillian Hastie
Gillian Hastie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Matthew Walker
Matthew Walker marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Fiammoz
Fiammoz marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Ering
Ering marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Feancesco
Feancesco marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
R__ryan
R__ryan marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Kew
Kew added it
Nov 07, 2014
Giulia Grantaire
Giulia Grantaire marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
jeanlouiseblue
jeanlouiseblue marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Tamara Norekian
Tamara Norekian marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Nancy
Nancy added it
May 27, 2014
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Al Toker
Al Toker marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Sara B.
Sara B. marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013