House of Glory: Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple

House of Glory: Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  723 ratings  ·  101 reviews

Winner of the 1996 Frankie and John Kenneth Orton Award for LDS Literature

When the Lord instructed the Saints in Kirtland to build a temple, he said, "Establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God" (D&C 88:119). Michael Wilcox identifies the blessing that temple work brings to our...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about House of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Glory

Inspired Kathy
This is a great book about the temple. Lots of great quotes. I've got to get to the temple more often... it's only 10 minutes away I have no excuse!

Susa Young Gates once asked her father, President Brigham Young, how it would ever be possible to accomplish the great amount of temple work that needed to be done. “He told her there would be many inventions of labor-saving devices, so that our daily duties could be performed in a short time, leaving us more and more time for temple work. The invent...more
Christina
Well, I'm motivated to attend the temple more often! I enjoyed Michael Wilcox's scriptural insights and touching stories. He does add a lot of insights into why we attend the temple and how to get the most out of it.

My favorite quote from the book (which is actually a quote of CS Lewis):
"It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you can talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would...more
Connie
This book and especially the book review with the author, opened my mind to new ideas and most importantly taught me new ways to learn. I'm so impressed by the authors incredible knowledge.
Dil7worth
This was a very thought provoking book and it has changed me for the better. It is worthy of re-reading multiple times.
Shelli
I adore this man. One of my life goals (literally) is to meet him.

House of Glory is a collection of his thoughts on the temple, what our experiences can be like and how we can learn more during our time there. He uses so many personal examples - which I always love - and shows more by example than by preaching that the scriptures can and will illuminate our worship if we love them.

His insights are inspiring. I leave every chapter with my mind spinning with new ideas and motivation to really del...more
Joy
Mar 17, 2011 Joy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joy by: Laura Smith
Shane
I would feel evil giving this book anything less than 3 stars. It wasn't, however, what I was hoping for in a book about the temple. Wilcox stresses the importance of returning to the temple often and learning all that is available in the scriptures relating to the temple. Pretty standard stuff, although he clearly has a solid understanding of the scriptures. Chapter 4, Wilcox's formula for temple worship, is the best part of the book.
Priscilla
This book was recommended to me by the Jordan River temple matron and it was an excellent suggestion. The author goes over different reasons why the temple is so important, using D&C 109:8 (establish yourselves a house of order, house of faith, house of learning, etc) as an outline. He explains how we can make the temple more of an everyday focus, as well as find more meaning when we do go to the temple.

I loved the principles, examples and stories he shared. Since I'm not married, I often go...more
Robyn
Imagine The Lord offering this invitation, "Come into my house of refuge & healing. Receive council and peace. You can come whenever you want and you can stay as long as you want. It doesn't matter who you are because you are all my children. I only ask that you keep the rules of the house. And I'll know that you keep the rules of the house because you'll have the key to the house."
Alan Marchant
This book by Michael Wilcox is exactly what it sets out to be - a devotional guide to the meaning of temple worship. Although subtitled "Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple," the prospective reader should know that Wilcox does not address any issues of architectural or ceremonial symbolism in temples and he does not address any issues of theology raised there. Rather, he focuses on the variety of personal blessings and worship experiences that are found there (with appropriate preparation).

Th...more
Heather
This is a nice book with some neat reminders of the importance of the temple! I LOVE the temple! The temple is the great symbol of our membership, a house of learning, order, glory, thanksgiving, and a place of refuge. There were a few neat stories and reminders in this book for me--President Benson went to his normal weekly temple session instead of going to a BYU Inauguration, the temple is a blessing to our families (in all times), its important to do our family history work as well to receiv...more
Brandon Jensen
The writing style of the book was a bit staccato, but there were pieces of information in the book which really made me think about the temple differently. A couple of those are:
1- His comments that we don't think enough about the desires of those who have passed away and their influence in trying to find relatives to join the Church and so that they can get their work done. Sometimes I think that we go to the temple for personal reasons and don't consider enough those waiting on the other side...more
Catharine
I read this years ago for the first time. I love Wilcox' approach to the scriptures. He's a CES teacher and I've heard him speak a couple of times and I really like him. I picked this book up again because I realized that I couldn't remember what the water on the East side of each of our LDS Temples is symbolic of. I knew I had originally read about it in this book. While reading this, it increased my desire to get to the temple more often and to ponder things more deeply while I'm there.
I initi...more
Adam
Absolutely wonderful and beautiful book. Wilcox writes so conversationally it is easy to skim past the wonderful stories and lessons he communicates in this book. I have to agree with another temple scholar, Mark Shields, that this is one of the best books on the temple available.
Ruth
This is the first book by S. Michael Wilcox that I've read, and I really enjoyed it (I may look for his writings again in future). Although--as any temple-attending LDS person would expect--the details on the temple are appropriately generalized, there are many insights in the book (on how to recognize and appreciate symbolism generally, in the scriptures and so forth--for example) that really do help one's mind to think back on elements of temple attendance. It's a devotional manual as well as...more
Andrea
My Mom gave us this book before she passed away. We were all visiting our beloved Boston & the new temple there & she talked to us about her love of the temple. I attended the temple with her the week before her passing. And her 5 children & spouses all attended together the night before her viewing. I know the importance of this holy place and this book was a great reminder of the covenants & meanings within those walls. It gives me a greater conviction to attend more often and...more
Spencer
The author provides some good insight on how to approach the temple in a more meaningful way. He recites several commandments and invitations of our latter-day leaders to inspire us to renew our commitment to attend regularly and often.

My favorite part and probably the most meaningful section of the book is the author's "The parable of the keys." This short and simple little parable is able to succinctly teach the true purpose of the temple and how we must work to obtain it.
Michelle Rasmussen
I can't think of a better book for and endowed member of the Latter-day Saint Church, Okay maybe the Book of Mormon. But in all seriousness, I loved this book. I read it before and after I went to the Temple and learned and understood so much. I have to say it made a lot more sense after attending the Temple, but it did give me some things to think about before I went. If you are only going to read it once read it after attending the Temple. Just my thoughts.
Brea
Michael Wilcox is always amazing. This book touched me deeply and further strengthened my testimony of the temple.

One story that he shared, that I won't forget is when he was praying about how to protect his children during their teenage years. Heavenly Father told him that through attending the temple he will be able to protect his children. What a sweet promise for any parent who often feels so helpless in protecting their children from the adversary.
Tyler
An excellent pick, really does a great job emphasizing the role of the temple in our lives and its central role in moving forward the Lord's work on the Earth.
Christina
I really appreciate the insight this book gave me on the temple, and while reading the book, finding the temple in my scripture reading became much easier. I would have given it a four, but it seemed like the last thrid was jumping all over the place. That could be my personal life interjecting itself in my reading though, because we just made the big move to Philly. Things were a little hectic.
Brandon Baggett
S. Michael Wilcox really has a talent for conveying spiritual experiences. He uses a lot of personal instances to help people understand the personal significance of the temple. I would recommend this for anyone who has struggled to find meaning in the ordinances perform there and for those who want to enrich their temple experience a little bit more.
Sylinda Lee
Excellent! Gave me such a wonderful perspective of the temple. Made it very approachable yet, sacred.
Kent Anderson
This was a good book that provided some excellent insight to the temple. I really liked his thoughts on it. It makes sense, but I didn't realize that a lot of the book was going to be on Family History. Makes sense -- the two things go together. But, maybe I gave it 3 stars for feeling the guilt for not doing any family history myself.
Jacquie
This was a great read for all Latterday Saint Temple goers. It makes me want to start family history, and attend the temple in a much better frame of mind. The most important thing I got from it was I am not just doing a "name" I am helping out a "life" with many of the same challenges I have. It was truly inspiring.
Julie
This book helped me to understand the great depth, symbolism and purpose of the temple.
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2009 Elizabeth is currently reading it
Suggested to all preparing to attend or those that have already gone. Frequently, Constantly, Consistantly... I'm still striving to look to do the little things that change people, rather than the huge. After all, Christ gave every day of His life, not only the end of it, and I want to be like Him.
Katiemiller
Absolutely a favorite church book. I love the convictions and testimony Wilcox shares from his own personal experiences of being active with temple ordinances, and as a "newer" temple goer, it helped me understand more deeply and with more appreciation, the blessings regular temple attendance brings.
Jan Strong
Read this several years ago and just re-read as I am looking forward to Jenny getting her endowment in May.
I love Mike Wilcox and always look forward to hearing him speak or to take a class from him is wonderful!
This book is just so well written and so thought provoking! A must for everyone to own!
Skylar Hatfield
This is an inspiring little book. If you are seeking inspiration to motivate your LDS temple work, preparing to enter the temple for the first time, or trying to understand why Mormons spend so much money and time on temple work, this book offers much for you. I recommend this book for all readers.
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • A Quiet Heart
  • Falling to Heaven: The Surprising Path to Happiness
  • The Continuous Atonement
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • Increase In Learning: Spiritual Patterns For Obtaining Your Own Answers (Spiritual Patterns, #1)
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Teach Ye Diligently
S. Michael Wilcox is an instructor at the institute of religion adjacent to the University of Utah. A frequent speaker at Brigham Young University Education Week, Michael also conducts tours of the Holy Land, Church history sites, Europe, China, and Central America. He received a bachelor’s degree in English literature from Brigham Young University, a master’s in media from the University of Arizo...more
More about S. Michael Wilcox...
Fire in the Bones: William Tyndale - Martyr, Father of the English Bible When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered Daughters of God: Scriptural Portraits What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child 10 Great Souls I Want to Meet in Heaven