Start by marking “Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book” as Want to Read:
Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book

Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Once referred to derisively as "vanity publishing," self-published books are finally taking their place alongside moreaccepted indie categories such as music, film, and theater. Indie Publishing is a practical guide to creating and distributing printed books regardless of your background, skill set, or ambition. It will help you realize projects of every scale and budget, ...more
Published November 3rd 2008 by Princeton Architectural Press

To ask other readers questions about Indie Publishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indie Publishing

Melanie Hughes
Dec 10, 2008 Melanie Hughes rated it really liked it
I read this book for my MBA independent study. It was great! I learned a ton in a fun way about publishing. I only gave it 4 stars because I wish it was longer.
Amy Brown
Feb 13, 2012 Amy Brown rated it really liked it
I picked this up at the bookstore (which I almost never do - most of my books are second-hand, loaners, curb finds or library books) because it seemed very pertinent to my new career as a freelance editor and book production consultant. (Or something, not sure how I'm going to brand that last part.) Basically, I help people self-publish.

Indie Publishing is about self-publishing, covering everything from online print-on-demand services to regular printing services, publishing with a home printer
Princeton Architectural
Mar 31, 2009 Princeton Architectural rated it it was amazing
Once referred to derisively as "vanity publishing," self-published books are finally taking their place alongside more accepted indie categories such as music, film, and theater. Indie Publishing is a practical guide to creating and distributing printed books regardless of your background, skill set, or ambition. It will help you realize projects of every scale and budget, from the traditional bookmaking techniques used to create zines to the more ambitious industrial production methods required ...more
Amy
Feb 22, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
It's been ages since I made a book from scratch, but this book has me hankering to try it again. In particular, the last fourth of the book has great diagrams of the steps involved, and drawings of homemade books & portfolios of various kinds that are very appealing. A beginner might attempt this one from page 132-135: titled Brain Dump, it is a Single Signature Pamphlet which consists entirely of doodles created during undergraduate lecture classes. It utilizes the pamphlet stitch - the sim ...more
Tosh
Feb 13, 2009 Tosh rated it really liked it
One of my favorite type of books are books about ...Books. This is sort of a manual in how to make and design and produce your own books. It is cleverly designed, and full of good details for the upcoming punk publisher.
David Katzman
Mar 12, 2010 David Katzman rated it it was ok
Indie Publishing: How to Design and Produce Your Own Book is a mildly useful, pretty to look at guide to … doing just what it says. My main issue is that this book is a very high-level survey of many different types of book making that will likely not be useful to most people. The authors spend chapters on poetry chapbooks, zines, picture books for kids or adults, exhibition catalogs, handmade books, and more. It’s rather light in content for each book type so it acts as more of an introduction ...more
Melissa
Jul 28, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty
This is a pretty nifty overview of book publishing in general, with information on obtaining an ISBN number and choosing a printing method, along with chapters dedicated to specific types of books, such as poetry, fiction, zines, and portfolios. Sidebars offer handy information, such as a quick and dirty beginner's guide to Adobe InDesign, the anatomy of a standard book, or how to choose a POD (print on demand) service.

The second to last section focuses on actual book-binding techniques with cle
Linda Tapp
Jul 27, 2015 Linda Tapp rated it it was amazing
I have had this on my shelf to read for quite some time and after reading it, I really wish had read it sooner. I have self-published several books already so much of this information was a refresher for me but I still learned so much more about the design aspects of a good book. When I encourage others to create eBooks and other information products, I will definitely recommend this book as a great guide to the basics.
pinknantucket
Oct 06, 2012 pinknantucket rated it liked it
A useful book, and so nicely laid out. As I'm attempting to BE an indie publisher myself, I appreciated the sections like "Nuts and Bolts" (ISBNs and so on), "Anatomy of a Copyright Page" and the crash course in InDesign. There are some good instructions about how to bind books yourself (simple ones) as well. I would have liked a bit more about managing the whole process (scheduling, sourcing stories, editing and so forth) but this book is upfront about coming at the whole thing from a design pe ...more
Jamie Collins
May 05, 2009 Jamie Collins rated it really liked it
Am I planning to publish my own book? More than likely that's the path these trotters will take if any of my morass of pennings materialize into a complete work - Bwahahahahaha! So nice to imagine though. If you ARE one of those impassioned and disciplined folk with an edited manuscript and no dear publisher with the wisdom to recognize the sublime art that you have just slipped beneath their crooked proboscis, then Indie Publishing is an informative resource that will guide from the basics of a ...more
Shannon Coffey
Mar 05, 2010 Shannon Coffey rated it really liked it
Does a great job of breaking down each piece of the creation, construction and publishing of a variety of books, a soup-to-nuts rundown really. Very well designed itself, and chock-full of illustrations and visual examples.

Light on the text, but that was fine with me. My only misgiving? A lot of the books used as examples aren't anything I'd choose to buy or publish. But that aspect didn't really hurt my grokking of the material.

Recommended if you're thinking, as I am, of transitioning into book
Claudie Muchindu
May 31, 2012 Claudie Muchindu rated it really liked it
While this is a helpful book it does seem to offer a lot of initial information that you'd still need to conduct more research on. Great as a starting point though.

EDIT: My opinion of this book hasnt changed. Its a great starting point to help you map your own journey but it wont make your decisions for you and that's great. There are loads of helpful tips in here from bes format of pictures before printing your work to the 'ugliest form of binding'.

Great for people needing a bit of direction bu
Beronika Keres
Feb 04, 2016 Beronika Keres rated it it was ok
Limited information for self-publishing fiction.
Dea G.
Nov 03, 2009 Dea G. rated it it was ok
I want to be an independent publisher, and I thought this book might give me some tools and ideas. It has an arty, depoliticized bent, but does cover some interesting design topics [damnit, I TOTALLY would have forgotten about the endpaper!:]. It also teaches techniques for making books using web software and by hand. Furthermore, it is a very pretty boook, and sometimes I just like pretty books about making books. An InDesign manual might have been more useful, but would it have been more fun?
K.A. Levingston
Jul 20, 2010 K.A. Levingston rated it it was amazing
An absolute must-own for anyone considering indie publishing, whether to get a novel out to readers or to hand-make a book for family and friends. Chock full of great information on the physical design of your book, with gorgeous diagrams and easy-to-understand formatting tips and tricks. I'm so glad I snagged this from the library- now to wait for my copy to come from Amazon! :D
Michelle
May 20, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worth-buying
This book doesn't touch on e-books at all, but if you're interested in doing a combo of both or even just the ebook there is still plenty of relevant information that will help in envisioning, designing and laying out your own book. Great easy but thorough read with many brilliant examples from real world indie books.
Alshaimaa
Oct 30, 2011 Alshaimaa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alshaimaa by: Nojood Alsudairi
Shelves: english-books
love its simplicity.
different techniques you can use in designing and producing your own book.
she starts every technique with an example and then moves to the main point.
I like this strategy, starting with a familiar example and then moves up.
kelli
Jan 12, 2009 kelli rated it liked it
Nice. Good examples pictures illustrations etc. However, I wanted to learn some new technical stuff and didn't. Also, the first few chapters are borderline self-helpy in the way that they forcibly reinforce what you already know.
Catherine
Mar 31, 2009 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
Useful, highly visual introduction to different mechanisms for publishing your own books. I found it helpful for understanding some parts of the production process that had been a bit murky before. Recommended!
Lord Beardsley
Jan 25, 2011 Lord Beardsley rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2011
This book is a must for anyone interested in book art, making books, graphic design, illustration, art, literature. It will be used as a constant source of reference for me from now on.
Alethea A
Dec 27, 2009 Alethea A rated it really liked it
I liked this book. Experts and Intermediates won't learn much that's new, but newbies will learn a lot. It's well designed, simple in its instruction, and give pretty good basics.
Amy
Aug 01, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, design
A beginner's guide to publishing their own books -- simple and well laid out. Full review: http://pikaland.com/2010/04/16/review...
Ingrid Keir
Apr 25, 2009 Ingrid Keir rated it it was amazing
This books is GREAT! It takes you through the basics of publishing - a DIY approach and offers helpful illustrations that are easy to follow.
Ana
Jun 19, 2012 Ana rated it really liked it
Ensina a fazer um livro de fio a pavio, mas mais na vertente prática. Falta-lhe um pouco mais a parte técnica (normas gráficas etc)
Evelyn Pryce
Sep 19, 2011 Evelyn Pryce rated it liked it
Very good if you're thinking about self-publishing. Useful examples and some practical information. Very much a starter's guide.
Laura Hicks
Mar 09, 2015 Laura Hicks rated it it was amazing
A great read for anybody interested in learning more about publishing or thinking about self-publishing.
Jillian
I'm starting to develop a crush on Ellen Lupton. Her books, website, and down-to-earth advice are refreshing.
Pascale
Aug 07, 2012 Pascale rated it did not like it
A decent little book about the basics of book planning and publishing process.
Bob Hartley
Jan 28, 2013 Bob Hartley rated it liked it
Bit amerocentric but whatever. Fairly helpful.
Ramon de Santiago
Nov 02, 2010 Ramon de Santiago rated it it was amazing
Lots of great information about everything book!
Goodreads Indonesia: Buku Indie, Bergizi? 15 100 Feb 21, 2013 06:09AM
  • How to Make Books: Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005
  • Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
  • Bookcraft: Techniques for Binding, Folding, and Decorating to Create Books and More
  • Book Design
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • Graphic Design Theory: Readings from the Field
  • Book One: Work, 1986-2006
  • The Printmaking Bible: The Complete Guide to Materials and Techniques
  • Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens
  • Geometry of Design: Studies in Proportion and Composition