Start by marking “Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo” as Want to Read:
Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo

Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  19 reviews
There is nothing quite like hitting the road by yourself to awaken your senses, sharpen your mind, and build your confidence. In twenty-three beautifully crafted essays, women recount the thrills of traveling solo.

Despite threat-assessment levels and airport-security hassles, women of all generations are traveling more freely and independently than ever before. In that go-
Published May 4th 2007 by Seal Press (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Go Your Own Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Your Own Way

Cynthia
Sigh.... made me want to hit the road NOW but at least I will be in Mexico tomorrow! I am so glad I traveled in Europe by myself.
Megan Stolz
I was lent this book by one of my grad school professors, who has an essay included in the collection, during a summer writing project when I was focusing on Americans traveling overseas. I gave the collection an average score because many of the essays tend to fall into a bit of a pattern and they often end with a sentence or paragraph which tries to summarize the trip in some grand lesson (granted, endings are hard and I think the authors were trying to find some universality in their personal ...more
Beth Peninger
This book caught my eye in a local used bookstore as I browsed. It caught my eye for a couple of different reasons. One, the cover picture. After having traveled to Italy and Greece last year the cover picture is a familiar and pleasing one for me. Two, I am a horrible traveler and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Why that would prompt me to read a book about travelers I will leave up to you to analyze, I'm not entirely sure myself. :)
This is a real-life travel guide to locations around
Josephine
The title sounded interesting.

That’s the main reason I picked this book up.

But…I’m not a big fan of anthologies like this.

Why?

Because these blurry snapshots of the lives of 23 different writers — some better writers than others — give no real taste of the places they’ve visited and seen or any real impression of who these women are.

That’s not to say it wasn’t interesting or that it wasn’t insightful; it was.

In Julianne Balmain’s “Wolf Pleasures” she talks about her delight in stumbling across th
Mia
Since I had my first child, I've been too scared to fly or to travel anywhere by myself, because I'm afraid I'll die en route and my husband will be the one to pick out the children's clothes, which will lead to them being ridiculed mercilessly by their peers. Also, he'll only feed them fake meat cooked on the backyard grill and cheese-flavored snacks, which will lead to them being very unhappy and overly salt-infused. So... the women writing the stories in this book are living a dream that I am ...more
Carolyne Mistake
Oct 30, 2008 Carolyne Mistake rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: female travelers, women (people in general) with a curiosity about the world
This is a book about women travelers, who are traveling solo. It is inspirational at times, motivational at others, particularly as a female traveler who occationally worries about the dangers of traveling solo through certain areas of the world. However, it's also misleading because some of these stories are not by a woman traveling solo, they are by a woman alone for a moment on a trip with others, and often with a male romantic partner or figure. A few good stories, such as "Armed and Dangero ...more
Simply wonderful collection of essays about traveling as a solo woman. Tore through most of it at the beach. Rarely does a book capture my attention so much to steer it away from the sun, sand, and waves. My copy will be read again and again and is dogeared already.
Jessi
What a great collection of stories, written in the first person by women travelers. Maybe not every one is really "Solo" and maybe the grand majority are a little too happy-happy but I still really enjoyed every story.
Robert
Well, I have to admit I have been unable to actually read this book cover to cover. A significant number of the stories are weak and poorly written. I wll take another run at it and edit this as things change (if they do). Stand-outs include Snake Eyes of Borneo, and most notably Three Minutes of Freedom, by Lara Triback who, for any of you out Oregon ways, will be reading at Powell's bookstore on July 12. In the spirit of full disclosure the author is a good friend of mine, but regardless of th ...more
Nikki
This anthology includes a handful of excellent anecdotes, but most of them are unriveting. The few stories that stand out as gems were truly lovely and relatable, excellently written and leaving the reader craving more. Most of the chapters, however, felt like insular personal memories best shared as reverie among friends and lacking universal appeal or depth of imagery and presence. Okay overall, but I would have quit this book if I had any habit of book-quitting. Very few travel books have tak ...more
Heather
I was so inspired reading the stories of women traveling the world in this book. It made me want to pick a place on the map and go! There are also lots of helpful tips about traveling alone, and being safe while you do it!
Heather
A few gems in here that were so lovely and inspirational is the reason I'm giving it five stars. Makes me even more excited about my first trip solo soon.
Katie
Good book of short stories. I've had many of the experiences that they have described, but am still not a huge fan of solo travel!
Jenni
Didn't enjoy it as much as their first effort (A Woman Alone), but still a good collection of enjoyable short travel narratives.
Katrina
Good mix of women's stories of traveling the world solo, yet not alone. Why they do it and what they learn.
Laurie
Enjoyable and interesting but not the best collection of travel stories I've read.
Karen
Great beach read filled with short stories of women traveling the world!
Upnorth
Great descriptions of solo adventures by women
Kerri
I love travel writing, but this took me ages to get through. Some stories were totally captivating, while others left me bored. Nonetheless, I love the concept- women traveling the globe.
Loraine
Loraine is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Liz Swan
Liz Swan marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Kiersten
Kiersten marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Jeanie
Jeanie marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
  • Fly Solo: The 50 Best Places on Earth for a Girl to Travel Alone
  • Walking Home: A Woman's Pilgrimage on the Appalachian Trail
  • Expat: Women's True Tales of Life Abroad
  • Going Alone: Women's Adventures in the Wild
  • Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World
  • Whose Panties Are These?: More Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road
  • Make the Most of Your Time on Earth
  • Nothing to Declare: Memoirs of a Woman Traveling Alone
  • To Hellholes and Back: Bribes, Lies, and the Art of Extreme Tourism
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • Single State of the Union: Single Women Speak Out on Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • Four Corners: A Journey into the Heart of Papua New Guinea
A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe I Wanna Be Sedated: 30 Writers on Parenting Teenagers Solotour: 29 spannende Abenteuer von Frauen, die allein reisen