Start by marking “Solo Traveler: Tales and Tips for Great Trips” as Want to Read:
Solo Traveler: Tales and Tips for Great Trips

Solo Traveler: Tales and Tips for Great Trips

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A quarter of all travelers hit the road without a companion each year, whether for business or pleasure. In this personal book, solo travel expert, Lea Lane, reveals the joys of the experience as well as its challenges, and dispels the stigma of traveling solo, covering such topics as:

• Dining alone
• Solo-friendly lodgings
• Group and special-interest travel—including ditch
Paperback, 1st Edition, 288 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by Fodor's

To ask other readers questions about Solo Traveler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solo Traveler

Monica
Dec 26, 2008 Monica rated it liked it
I've done a ton of solo travel on business trips so I guess I was expecting more out of it. This is more of a "you can do it!" cheerleader book for those who are afraid to try it.
I was looking more for tips, deals, etc, which this books somewhat addresses. I do like some of her stories though, seems like she had some pretty fun trips.
It's still worth a read as a refresher for the seasoned traveler, but a better read for those who are afraid to go solo.
Kohei
Jun 03, 2008 Kohei rated it it was ok
Shelves: school-year-book
This book wasn't a fictional book incase you're wondering. This book explains about the tips of traveling to locations if you are in a group or alone. I used this book for my writing arts essay, but I did read it and it explains about some stories of different people who traveled to countries and their experiences on that journey. This book also lists many places to go to for different places around the world, and also activities to try. This book is really helpful to those who are planning to ...more
Gonzalo
Jun 02, 2008 Gonzalo rated it it was ok
Shelves: 07-08
I liked this book, well not really. IT was ok i guess. even though it did give you good locations for specific people. This book is not a story but a mainly a list of places and experience the author had in each of them. I was disappointed a little since i thought it would have more tips and stories but it didn't have many. I think it could have been improved by adding tips and pictures of the place or create another part or another book that has pictures of that specific place. I recommend this ...more
Kendra
Jul 05, 2015 Kendra rated it liked it
I found her stories interesting but the advice was very run-of-the-mill.
Samantha
Dec 20, 2007 Samantha rated it liked it
I thought this book could have been better. Felt it was slow and that she went into detail about places but not tips. She didn't use her stories as illustrations of her tips which is what I thought she would do. I didn't like how she had pages and pages of tour companies or other companies. I wonder if she got a kick back. I didn't think she listed enough restaurants or hotels or anything. I felt that she tried to explore too many issues and not really covering any of them. However this was a go ...more
Lisa
Apr 10, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
This book was really reassuring to me for my upcoming trip. I'm not traveling alone, but will be alone for all the days since my husband is doing business stuff. My favorite line (not exact quote) was that you will get lost, but that's okay, and you will figure it out and be fine. Lots of great resources throughout the book too to help plan the trip. I loved hearing the author's voice throughout the book too. Great read.
Wench
Jan 16, 2013 Wench rated it liked it
Oh, for half stars on Goodreads. This is really a 2.5 star for me. There's good advice, but by the time I read it, I'd gotten most of it for free already. Also, as I recall, there's a little fearmongering and oh woe is woman in here, which I am basically never here for.
Amy
Dec 21, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. I love Lea Lane's voice. She can have pathos and humor in the same sentence, and she always takes me with her wherever she goes. Highly recommended book for any world or armchair traveler! Congrats, Lea!
Cherie
Dec 15, 2007 Cherie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: First time solo travelers
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Good advice for first time solo travelers, but not really for the hosteller/backpacker as much as it is for the more middle-class traveler
Liana
Mar 25, 2012 Liana rated it it was ok
There wasn't anything special about this book and I wouldn't read it again. The tips weren't that great.
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Mls
Mls rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Sarah Guillotte
Sarah Guillotte marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Katie K
Katie K is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2016
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Molly Lilly
Molly Lilly rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Tim Hackenberg
Tim Hackenberg rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2016
Donna
Donna added it
Jan 14, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Ben Ho
Ben Ho marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Rlv004
Rlv004 added it
Oct 10, 2015
Alissa
Alissa marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Darla
Darla rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Ann Norris
Ann Norris rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Shelly Gray
Shelly Gray rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015