Start by marking “The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, books V-VII” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Gulag Archipelago,...

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, books V-VII (The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956 #5-7)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The Gulag Archipelago is Solzhenitsyn’s attempt to compile a literary-historical record of the vast system of prisons and labor camps that came into being shortly after the Bolsheviks seized power in Russia in 1917 and that underwent an enormous expansion during the rule of Stalin from 1924 to 1953. Various sections of the three volumes describe the arrest, interrogation, ...more
Published (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956

Preston Fleming
GULAG ARCHIPELAGO: READ VOLUME III FIRST

Reading Solzhenitsyn's GULAG ARCHIPELAGO can be a tough slog. For all its rewards, GULAG can be disjointed, repetitive and confusing. I found the early history of the Gulag in Volumes I and II to be particularly grim.

Volume III, by contrast, contains some of GULAG's richest storytelling, particularly in the chapters that tell of escape, resistance and the resilience of the human spirit in the face of unbearable suffering.

My suggestion would be for the ne
Enrique
Apr 06, 2009 Enrique rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todos
Si bien creo que este libro debe ser leìdo por todos, y que es un deber moral conocer la historia de todas las vìctias que murieron y sufrieron en los Gulag, debo confesar que por momentos la tarea se hace simplemente desconsoladora, es muy difìcil encontrar un haz de luz en el infierno narrado por Solzhenitsyn. Una oarte que narra la evasión de un par de reos, y su penosa huída sin comida ni agua durante 30 días, cuando tras muchos pesares inimaginables (no se trata de una versiòn de prision br ...more
Sarah Norman
This is a famous book that one keeps meaning to read, so one has decided to read it. I bought it on Amazon, where the customer reviews are the sort of mouth-frothingly eager ones that make one feel all the more required to read it. Check it out. Charmingly, it comes to me in Zimbabwe as a discarded book from a library in small town Arkansas, complete with index card sleeve.

It's not really the sort of book that one can call 'good,' because that seems sort of disrespectful. Quality terms don't rea
Joseph Sverker
If something has ever deserved to be called momentous, this does. I cannot quite understand how S. can have managed to write such a book. It defies reason, which so many of the lives and occasions he describes do as well. I'm just thinking what would happen if noone would have been able to write about the Soviet camps, what if all this would have been put to non-remembering, it might have happened considering the vasteness of the destruction that the camps represented. Millions of lives would si ...more
Aaron
For many reasons, this book almost does not belong beside these others. Even calling it a mere "book" seems almost obscene. It's importance is incalculable, both in its illumination of the shadowy history of Stalin's Soviet Union, as well as in it's uncompromising and manifold description of the frail human condition through hundreds of heart-breaking personal accounts and anecdotes. I have a suspicion this may be the most important book I've ever read. It needs to keep being read in order to sa ...more
Buddy Don
I've finally finished all three volumes of this amazing work. One of the first things I did upon finishing it was to reshelve it with my histories rather than with novels, since it is not a novel in any real sense of the word. It is, instead, a literary experiment, as claimed at the beginning. It is a wonderful and awful piece of writing, filled with ugly details beautifully conveyed. I suffer from migraines and sometimes think I have had all I could take, but reading a book like this makes any ...more
Mikael
The third and final volume of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s mammoth work consists of ”Part V: Katorga” (Forced Labour”), ”Part VI: Exile” and ”Part VII: Stalin Is No More”.

Brilliant as the first two volumes are, this last one is more varied and even livelier. Part of this is due to the ray of hope or at least inspiration running through it: here we find tales of derring-do and high adventure as suffering prisoners mount extravagant and often very clever escapes, and we are treated to detailed and en
David Hill
The 5 star rating is for the whole work, not just this volume.

A truly epic work. The Gulag Archipelago chronicles the Soviet concentration camp system in all its facets. It lays out the history of the camp system: its organization, procedures and methods. It's the story of the perversion of the Soviet judicial system. It compares and contrasts the prisons and camps to the same under the Tsars. It is also a memoir. Like any Russian novel, it also tells the stories of hundreds of people.

Before rea
David Miller
To finish the 3rd and last volume of the Gulag Archipelago is to complete a great human experience. You will leave these 3 volumes with a much more profound, much deeper, more sorrowful, and richer knowledge of human nature. You will see the great depths of monstrosity people reach every day, and also the great heights of love people attain under the most dire circumstances. The books are not comforting; one and the same soul plumbs the depths and climbs the heights. The one thing Solzhenitsyn s ...more
Jan Kjellin
Man kan förstås inte bedöma de sista tre delarna av GULAG-arkipelagen utan att samtidigt väga samman hela verket.

Inte heller känns det rimligt att göra en bedömning endast utifrån de människoöden som passerar och GULAG-arkipelagens rent konkreta historia.

För mig ligger värdet i möjligheten att mellan raderna skymta mig själv, trots att jag aldrig tidigare (och förhoppningsvis inte heller senare) kommer att finna mig i ett dylikt helvete.

Värdet ligger i detta, och i Solsjenitsyns beskrivning av e
John
The first half of the final volume of the Gulag Archipelago reads like "The Great Escape." Much of the first section of the book is devoted to chronicling many escape attempts, and attempted escape attempts of those in the labor camps. These are thrilling adventures and are fun and exhilarating to read. There is also an extended portion about a prison camp that scared off the guards for forty days, formed its own government, and functioned apart from the camp administration. All the while the ar ...more
Ilya
Mar 06, 2007 Ilya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History buffs, Russians
One of the best peices of non-fiction I've ever read.

The Gulag is an acronym that refers to a system of Soviet prison camps set up during the Stalinist purges. If you want an idea of how much the Russian people have been through in the 20th century- this book is a must.

Tough to get through... long and intense. If you want the jist of it, read "One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich". I felt like a Jew reading about the Holocaust- just kind of biased because I could sort of imagine this whole thi
Mimi
Like those films from grade school where you started out in space and zoomed in to focus on the microscopic level, the Gulag Archipelago story arch starts out on the vast, general level and ends up focusing on Solzhenitsyn and those imprisoned with him, making the third volume much more of a story. Here you meet those who escaped, those who revolted, and those who survived cancer. You see the effect of Stalin's death, and the thaws and freezes that followed. Haunting, hefty, and important.
Vanjr
The whole triology is unbelieveable. I highly recommend it.
Katie
May 19, 2009 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like nazi and ww2 movies
Wanted to read it for a while and this year decided to pick it up as a read for the bus from the parking lot to the university. Worked out great, I read this 1200+ pages book in the school year.
There's one part of the book that I found boring - 3 chapter in the 1st tome that talk about laws. The rest was entertaining and easy to read. When Solzhenitsyn goes into his personal stories, he's at his best.
There are many things to learn from this book. My favorite is chifir' - very strong tea drink th
Marc Zoetendal
Just read the part of a marvelous escape of two Zeks...an escape that lasted for 3 weeks...3 weeks in which the Zeks lived in relative freedom, but the more time passed the more they felt liked animals being hunted on...and it proofed that nobody could be trusted

Finally finished the 6 books of Gulag..In all it took me five years...
Angelina
The language often makes it difficult to read, but I've always been fascinated by Russian history, especially the Revolution and Stalin and the gulags. It was incredibly informative regarding methods of torture and coercion, conditions of prisons, and the lives of those exiled. A fascinating read.
Carla Krueger
This is a really difficult book to read because of its subject matter and content but, it's truly incredible. A friend of mine gave me her copy and it sparked an interest in an area of history I'd never really learned anything about before – and a GR friend just reminded me of it today!
Andy
Goodreads's five-star rating carries the description "it was amazing". That description really doesn't apply to this book. "Amazingly powerful", "amazingly moving", and "amazingly disturbing" all apply along with "frighteningly readable" and "damning indictment of the Soviet system".
Ken
I actually read the unabridged volumes separately, but could not find them here. I am amazed at the frankness and factuality with which Solzhenitsyn writes. I can't be this detached about my selection of underwear, much less what this man has been through.
Nick Black
Parts I and II are essential reading for understanding the 20th century. Part III begins to fall apart. Supposedly, there's a part IV, but I've neither seen it nor heard a review. Solzhenitsyn went kinda nuts late in life, and I'll likely leave that one be.
Susagna
Una obra monumental (en tres volums) sobre l'experiència i supervivència al sistema penitenciari soviètic. Escrit en la més absoluta clandestinitat entre 1958 i 1967. A l'Arxipèlag Gulag es deia: Els dirigents passen, l'Arxipèlag perdura.
Cynthia Garlett
The historical outline of this book explains a lot of the social and political environment of Europe and Russia. An understanding about how WWII began and the reason why many countries entered into this battle.
Bogdan
I have understood now that in URSS the forced working camps have been worser than the ones Nazi build.
My copy of this book is in romanian.
David
Jan 15, 2013 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This section covers the hardest of the labor camps, those for politicals only. Also covers exile and post-Stalin period up to 1956
Craig J.
The Gulag Archipelago Volume 3: An Experiment in Literary Investigation (P.S.) by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn (2007)
Brent
The cover is correct, but the description is not. This is actually volume 3 containing parts V-VII of the series.
Greg
Essential reading for any who would try to penetrate the Russian soul.
Josh
You can't "rate" these books. It just doesn't seem right.
  • The Great Terror: A Reassessment
  • Everyday Stalinism: Ordinary Life in Extraordinary Times: Soviet Russia in the 1930s
  • The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia
  • Gulag : A History
  • Man Is Wolf to Man: Surviving the Gulag
  • Alexander Dolgun's Story: An American in the Gulag
  • Kolyma Tales
  • Forever Flowing
  • Journey into the Whirlwind
  • Down with Big Brother: The Fall of the Soviet Empire
  • A History of Russia (Sixth Edition)
  • The Shadow of the Winter Palace: Russia's Drift to Revolution 1825-1917
  • The Sword & the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive & the Secret History of the KGB
  • The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin
  • Man of the House: The Life and Political Memoirs of Speaker Tip O'Neill .
  • Hope Against Hope
  • Dostoevsky: A Writer in His Time
  • The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Volume II
Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn was a Soviet and Russian novelist, dramatist, and historian. Through his writings he helped to make the world aware of the Gulag, the Soviet Union's forced labor camp system – particularly The Gulag Archipelago and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, two of his best-known works.

Solzhenitsyn was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1970. He was exiled from
More about Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn...
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956 Cancer Ward The First Circle The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, Books I-II

“It is in the nature of the human being to seek a justification for his actions.” 82 likes
“We didn't love freedom enough. ” 24 likes