Start by marking “Night-Side: 18 Tales” as Want to Read:
Night-Side: 18 Tales

Night-Side: 18 Tales

Published October 28th 1977 by Vanguard Pr (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Night-Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night-Side

Nozomi
Mar 15, 2008 Nozomi added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Binoculars
Recommended to Nozomi by: Used Book Shelf
I like when the character is introduced, you read as a simple description, and later you go, " Ah, she was referring to the characteristics of 'X'-type of person'" It's like you read a description of the recipe without knowing what the meal was, and after you cooked it you realize in fact what you were cooking was a simple pound-cake.
Grumpus McGrouchy
Mar 24, 2014 Grumpus McGrouchy rated it it was amazing
Yeah, I liked it. Any book that can end a story so abruptly that I throw the book across the room before I can even catch myself, deserves a repeat performance. I think the story was ...oh fuck I don't remember. The one with the woman in the doorway. And the teacher, I think. Shit, who knows. I never even read it.
Lu
Dec 05, 2014 Lu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questa raccolta di quattro racconti di Joyce Carol Oates è stata la mia prima lettura dell'autrice. E subito parto con un grande punto interrogativo.
Mi è piaciuto?
E' proprio questa la domanda a cui non riesco ancora a dare risposta, nemmeno dopo aver riletto alcuni passaggi ed averci riflettuto sopra un pò.
Innanzitutto mi è parso di aver letto quattro racconti di quattro autori diversi. Nel primo, Le Vedove, si percepiscono l'ansia e lo smarrimento della protagonista ed in un certo modo anche l
Pamela Scott
May 14, 2014 Pamela Scott rated it liked it
Night-Side is a very early collection of JCO published in 1977. All of the stories were previously published in various magazines.

I thought Night-Side was okay but not on a par with her later such as Heat and Other Stories (1991). I particularly enjoyed the title story, Night-Side, The Widows, Lover, Bloodstains and The Thaw.

Unlike her later collections (Heat and Other Stories), no story really stands out. I probably won’t remember any story I read a week from now. There are stories in collectio
Jamie Rosen
It pains me to give this 3 stars. Individually, most of the stories are solid 4s. But taken as a whole, the collection starts to display some faults that the individual pieces don't: a certain sameness of the subject matter, and a tendency for the stories to finish weakly, sometimes seeming to simply stop rather than come to an end.

I remain a great fan of JCO's short stories, and would recommend most of the ones located herein; I'm just a little disappointed in the book as a whole.
Megan
Jun 25, 2016 Megan rated it it was ok
Read this over time. Mostly bored by the stories--it seems like very little happens in most of them. I'd read the first story some time ago and it was terrifying, but aside from that most of the stories were barely a story.
Debra
Mar 31, 2011 Debra marked it as to-read
Stephen King recommended book. Noted as "important to the genre we have been discussing" from Danse Macabre, published in 1981.
Martin Gumucio
May 26, 2013 Martin Gumucio rated it really liked it
Great stuff!
Ann M
May 13, 2008 Ann M rated it liked it
Another ancient paperback, worth reading.
Alex Mils
Alex Mils rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2011
Mark Yanes
Mark Yanes rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2017
Sherry (sethurner)
Sherry (sethurner) rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2008
Horror Aficionado
Horror Aficionado rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2016
Niklas Nylander
Niklas Nylander rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Mariamosh
Mariamosh rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
PfromJ
PfromJ rated it liked it
May 07, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it did not like it
Aug 03, 2015
Travis Wilbanks
Travis Wilbanks rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2011
Nathan Spoonts
Nathan Spoonts rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2013
Jeremy Kansas
Jeremy Kansas rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Diana Poole
Diana Poole rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Robin Doll
Robin Doll rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2007
Beth-Ann
Beth-Ann rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2008
Anna Frisk
Anna Frisk rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
JerryB
JerryB rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Noelle Dancer
Noelle Dancer rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Matt Parks
Matt Parks rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Terror by Night: Classic Ghost & Horror Stories
  • The Jaguar Hunter
  • Between Here and Here
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • Prayers to Broken Stones
  • Shadows
  • After Dark (Silver John, #2)
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • Strange Wine
  • Nightshade & Damnations
  • Dark Love
  • Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
Joyce Carol Oates is a recipient of the National Book Award and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction. She is also the recipient of the 2005 Prix Femina for The Falls. She is the Roger S. Berlind Distinguished Professor of the Humanities at Princeton University, and she has been a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters since 1978. Pseudonyms ... Rosamond Smith and Laure ...more
More about Joyce Carol Oates...