Start by marking “The Wounded Buzzard on Christmas Eve (Hank the Cowdog, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Wounded Buzzard on Christmas Eve (Hank the Cowdog, #13)

The Wounded Buzzard on Christmas Eve (Hank the Cowdog #13)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  387 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Hank is looking forward to a long winter's nap when duty calls him to accompany Slim into town for a last-minute Christmas shopping spree. Along the way, Hank and the gang are struck not only by the meaning of Christmas but also by a twenty-five-pound buzzard!
Published August 1st 1998 by Puffin (first published September 1st 1989)

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA World of Joy by Christopher  ShieldsThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreA Charlie Brown Christmas by Charles M. Schulz
Holidays
158th out of 199 books — 143 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensConfessions of an Instinctively Mutinous Baby Boomer by Marsha RobertsThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgYuletide Tales A Festive Collective by Peter   John
Best Reads of the Holiday Season
172nd out of 182 books — 206 voters

More lists with this book...

Qt
Dec 21, 2009 Qt rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, animals, christmas
I loved the Hank books when I was younger and it was so nice to revisit them; I had never read this one, oddly enough, and it was a good seasonal story. Although I thought some of the other Hank books were better, I still enjoyed this one and was happy to finally read it.
Laura Verret
Dec 19, 2012 Laura Verret rated it it was ok
It’s the day before Christmas, and as Head of Ranch Security, Hank is placing the ranch under red alert. A highly suspicious vehicle equipped with a flatbed, a high-lift jack, and a special highly sensitive radar antenna has just penetrated ranch premises, and it’s up to Hank’s highly trained self to avert any danger. Because this vehicle is driven by a CATTLE RUSTLER.

Or wait. Is that really…. Why it’s Slim! Of course, Hank knew it all along, but it’s understandable that the rest of us, not bein
Sharon
Jan 11, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Very funny when you throw Hank and a buzzard into the same story. Add Slim and Little Alfred and the story will split your sides!! Recommend to anyone who wants to laugh!!
Shailah.S
Mar 19, 2015 Shailah.S rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I love this book and i'm going to try and read all the season's
Barb
Nov 20, 2010 Barb rated it liked it
Shelves: from-gs
My students don't know it yet but they're going to get to participate in a distance learning program with Hank the Cowdog author John R. Erickson in December, and this is the book from which he will be reading, so I wanted to read it myself. It's typical Hank humor -- just goofy!
Ashley
Mar 13, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
I did 15.10. I read Hank the cowdog the wounded buzzard on christmas eve. Hank goes to town with slim, but ends up in the bottom of the pick-up when something crashes in through the window. Do they save it, or do they leave it? This book was very funny and was 112 pages long.
Darryl Cole
Jul 11, 2011 Darryl Cole rated it really liked it
I read pretty much this entire series years ago after I descovered them in my elementary school libary. The plot, and characters are great. Plus these books are extremly funny. I loved this series then and I still love it.
Olivia
Sep 03, 2008 Olivia rated it really liked it
As far as children's chapter books go, I love Hank. I get a lot of laugh's out of the story that go over Gabe's head, but he still gets enough to really enjoy it. Tom does a great job with the voices.
Nancy St. Clair
May 14, 2011 Nancy St. Clair rated it it was amazing
How could someone not absolutely love Hank the Cowdog and his hilarious misadventures, uh, I mean adventures? This series is laugh-out-loud funny and is among our family's favorites!
Melinda
Feb 27, 2012 Melinda rated it liked it
I've read a few of this series with my daughters. Cute books. Listening to them on CD is the best way to enjoy them because the voices are done so well.
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 Sydney rated it really liked it
when Hank and slim and drover are going to shop for Christmas a buzzard bangs into there window on Christmas eve they don't know what to do with the buzzard.
Ratforcekids
Oct 13, 2012 Ratforcekids rated it really liked it
Hank the Cowdog is always looking for an adventure...usually in the wrong place! Wildly funny antics and mysteries galore.
Mindy
Apr 30, 2008 Mindy rated it liked it
The entire Hank the Cowdog Series is great. Listen to the audio versions- better than reading, for this series.
Jennie
Apr 21, 2014 Jennie rated it liked it
Love reading these books with my boys. (Listening is even better. The author does a fabulous job of it.)
Tom
Oct 14, 2008 Tom rated it liked it
Hank is funny by himself. Hank with Drover, Little Alfred, and senile buzard...hilarious.
Cws
JM4 Eri
Hannah Daffinson
Hannah Daffinson rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Ana Larson
Ana Larson marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Darla Cameron
Darla Cameron marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Lam
Lam marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
skw
skw marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Wyatt
Wyatt rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Kathrine Bittler
Kathrine Bittler rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Chance Layton
Chance Layton rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Jennifer Brand
Jennifer Brand marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
shima
shima rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
  • Be a Wolf! (Adventures of Wishbone, #1)
  • The Complete Adventures of Homer Price
  • Santa 365: A Chet and Bernie eShort Story (The Chet and Bernie Mystery Series)
  • Watchdog and the Coyotes
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)
  • Escape from Egypt
  • The Case of the Logical I Ranch (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #23)
  • Bagthorpes Unlimited: Being the Third Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #3)
  • The Case of the Rock & Roll Mystery (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #6)
  • An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving
  • The Case of the High Seas Secret (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #22)
  • Lad of Sunnybank
  • Things Will Never Be the Same (26 Fairmount Avenue, #5)
  • The Truth about Dogs: An Inquiry into Ancestry Social Conventions Mental Habits Moral Fiber Canis fami
  • Return to Hawk's Hill: Sequel to the Newbery Honor-Winning Incident at Hawk's Hill
  • Just Helping My Dad
  • Cross-Country Cat
  • Con-Fidence
John R. Erickson, a former cowboy and ranch manager, is gifted with a storyteller's knack for spinning a yarn. Through the eyes of Hank the Cowdog, a smelly, smart-aleck Head of Ranch Security, Erickson gives readers a glimpse of daily life on a ranch in the West Texas Panhandle. This series of books and tapes is in school libraries across the country, has sold more than 7.6 million copies, is a B ...more
More about John R. Erickson...

Hank the Cowdog (1 - 10 of 66 books)
  • The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog, #2)
  • It's a Dog's Life (Hank the Cowdog, #3)
  • Murder in the Middle Pasture (Hank the Cowdog, #4)
  • Faded Love (Hank the Cowdog, #5)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Hank the Cowdog, #6)
  • The Curse of the Incredible Priceless Corncob (Hank the Cowdog, #7)
  • The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse (Hank the Cowdog, #8)
  • The Case of the Halloween Ghost (Hank the Cowdog, #9)
  • Every Dog Has His Day (Hank the Cowdog, #10)