Start by marking “Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper” as Want to Read:
Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper

Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Is the Lord's Supper, a time of communion with our Lord and with his people, a high point in our lives? What thought do we give to biblical teaching on this sacrament? In Given for You Keith Mathison seeks to encourage prayerful reflection and discussion about this now neglected sacrament. He introduces, explains, and defends a particular understanding of the Lord's Supper ...more
Published October 18th 2002 by P & R Publishing (first published October 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Given for You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Given for You

Jacob Aitken
EDIT: I feel I have to edit my review based on more reflection and rereading of Mathison. This book is still extremely valuable in clearly summarizing large and difficult swaths of 19th century Reformed theology. It is unsurpassed in that regard. I must take issue, however, with his treatment of William Cunningham. He references p. 254 of Cunningham (Theology of Reformers) as holding to a merely intellectual view of the Supper. Yet if he continued the discussion to the next page, he would see th ...more
Peter B.
My understanding of the Lord's Supper has greatly increased from reading this book. The Lord's Supper is a highly important regular part of the Christian life, and it's a shame that it is not studied and valued more by people today. Mathison does a good job laying out the historical and biblical teachings on the Eucharist, defending the view of Calvin, as opposed to the Romanist, Lutheran, and Zwinglian views (and the various modifications of Zwingli's view).
Jeremy
In a video interview about Federal Vision, Doug Wilson mentions this book a place that reveals Calvin's view of the Lord's Supper, and Wilson says that Calvin's view on this issue would probably get him in trouble with modern Presbyterian churches.

One of Wilson's arguments against Reformed theology, when he was still a Baptist, was that if you're going to baptize infants, why not give them communion too, ho, ho, ho. So the Reformers were great in getting us out of Rome, but they didn't go far en
John Knox
A fantastic book on an important topic. Being raised non-denominational evangelical, the sacraments were unimportant. As I became reformed, I wanted to understand the significance placed on the sacraments in scripture, and this was a very helpful book. It addressed the 3 counter views of the Supper (transubstantiation, consubstantiation, and mere symbolism) and then forcefully asserted the historic reformed position, the real presence view. Nothing happens with the elements themselves, but the S ...more
Steven Wedgeworth
A tad simplistic, but nonetheless a good intro to the subject.
Gary
Calvin’s doctrine of the Eucharist was not only Biblical, it was the main Confessional position of the 16th century. So argues the author, and he does so convincingly. Only gradually was it replaced by Symbolic Memorialism, which reached its height among the Reformed churches in the late 19th century.

Mathison first outlines from Calvin’s own writings and a number of top Calvin scholars the position of the great reformer of Geneva. He then looks at the position of others since; those following C
Andrew
I thought this book did an excellent job of breaking down the issues and controversies surrounding the Eucharist and its application in Reformed churches. I felt both sides of any debate were given equal treatment, and Mathison makes his own arguments in a concise, well-argued manner.

If there was one thing I found missing or unsatisfactory about the book, it happens to be one of the principal arguments. Mathison explains how Catholic, Lutheran and "evangelical" understandings of the Lord's Suppe
Luke
Overall comprehensive look at Calvin's view of the sacrament and how that view has been passed down to us today. Great section discussing relevant passages in Old and New Testament, and helpful presentation of practical issues and debates.

In light of the amount of information covered, the book suffers from a writing voice that sounds more like a term paper than a speaker who draws you in for an intimate conversation on the subject. As a result, it's an easy book to pick up and then put back dow
Ray
Mathison's Given For You on Calvin's view of the Supper is a must have. Not overly profound; reads kind of like a really, really good, long seminary paper, and occasionally cliched. But about as good of an overview as I've seen. Lots of nice, clearly outlined, short sub-chapters. Makes a good argument for wine in the Meal and even for paedo-communion. The part on Nevin is especially good. He also shows there were important differences on the meal between fellow Princeton theologians (as well as ...more
Steve
A very good defender of Calvin s view, one that also shows how this view was diluted in the post reformation period, on down through Hodge and Dabney. Nevin refers back to Calvin, and represents a revived calvinian sacramental theology.

His dealing with the RC doctrine is very helpful- it is implicitly Docetic.
Peter N.
A very, very good book. All of Mathison's books are worth reading. He knows his bible. He knows theology. And unlike most Protestants he knows his history. This book, along with Schenk's Presbyterian Doctrine of Children in the Covenant should be required reading for all ministers. Both books show how we have deviated from the Scriptural standards, which the reformers recovered. I wonder if his section on paedo-communion would even be published now following all the Federal Vision controversy.
CJ Bowen
Mathison does a tremendous job explaining and commending Calvin's doctrine of the true presence of Christ in the Lord's Supper. When the believer takes the Supper, body and blood of Christ are made present to the believer by the Holy Spirit, and the believer feeds on the gift of Christ. The faithful response is gratitude, which makes the Supper a sacrifice of praise, a Eucharist.

Originally read in 2005.
Cara Bergeron
Dec 22, 2008 Cara Bergeron marked it as to-read
Brian has read this book once and is reading it again. R.C. Sproul told Mathison, when he'd finished the manuscript for this book, "You can die now." Sproul says that this book is the greatest challenge to arrive in this century to tear down the Church's lazy and ignorant treatment and observance of the Lord's Supper. May it be so!
Eric Molicki
This is a great historical theological study of the Lord's Supper. It goes far beyond Calvin though his understanding of the Supper is the main focus of the book. Greatly strengthened my conviction that the Lord's Supper should be celebrated every week in Reformed churches.
Michael
First read in Feb '09.

Reading again for teaching on Communion. This is a fantastic book. Thorough and easy to comprehend. Mathison is one of my favorite theologians. Highly recommend to any Christian who wants to understand Communion.
Michael Tomko
that most evangelicals have no clue as to the historical and spiritual significance of this sacrament and it needs to be recovered as an essential means of grace.
Benjamin Glaser
This book is an excellent introduction to the Calvinist understanding of the Lord's Supper. Highly Recommend.
John
Great book presenting the reformed position on the Lord's Supper.
Jon Sedlak
This is a great introductory book
James
Great Book!
Daniel
Great read; I'd put it in my top 20. Mr. Mathison examines Calvin's Eucharistic theory in light of a careful historical and Biblical survey and then provides a summary of current Reformed opinions on the subject.
Felipe
Estou gostando!
Brian Condra
Brian Condra marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Ryan
Ryan is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2015
Alasdair Peterson
Alasdair Peterson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Angela Scott
Angela Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship
  • Against Christianity
  • To a Thousand Generations: Infant Baptism: Covenant Mercy for the People of God
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • The Puritan Hope
  • The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • The Doctrine of God (A Theology of Lordship)
  • By This Standard: The Authority of God's Law Today
  • Paradise Restored: A Biblical Theology of Dominion
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge, National Covenant and the Solemn League and Covenant)
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 1 : Prolegomena
  • The Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms, with Scripture Proofs
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
Dr. Keith A. Mathison is associate editor of Tabletalk magazine. He is also academic dean and professor of systematic theology at Reformation Bible College in Sanford, Fla., and author of From Age to Age: The Unfolding of Biblical Eschatology.
More about Keith A. Mathison...
A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture Postmillennialism The Shape of Sola Scriptura Dispensationalism, Rightly Dividing the People of God From Age to Age: The Unfolding of Biblical Eschatology