Start by marking “Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking (2 Volume Set)” as Want to Read:
Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking (2 Volume Set)

Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking (2 Volume Set)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A modern cook book, complete in every detail, brings the latest developments in home economics into your kitchen for a simpler, better and richer life
Published January 1st 1959 by J.G. Ferguson

I only have Volume 1 (picked it up for a few bucks at St. Vinny's) but I read it cover to cover. Talks about canning, what to do if you don't have a freezer (as if! Life in the 40's was different than now...!) and praises "scientists" an the wonderful discoveries they've made in the newish field of nutrition. Cracks me up. But the recipes are interesting, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that she's written and entire YEAR's worth of menus. Seriously, breakfast, lunch & dinner for an entire year, all at ...more
A basic cookbook with good, solid recipes. A little dated because some of the recipes call for a "No. 2 can" etc., but for the most part easy to follow recipes and measurements.
I picked this one up at an antique store. Copyright 1948. It's got coloured pictures of old-time apples--ever hear of Stark King David, Black Ben, Banana or Red Cheek, Summer Champion, or Sweet Bough? Oh to find these apples again.

There's a section on how to use the old style pressure cookers, which is good timing as I just picked one up at a yard sale in the summer.

There are also interesting recipes that people 'used' to make, such as citron preserves, flavoured milk and buttermilk (peppermin
I love these cookbooks - it actually comes in two volumes. My mother has a set and she decided it was time for me to have them. I wouldn't take hers, but she scoured the internet and got me the exact same set as hers. They are great for simple, yet delicious recipes. There are recipes for anything you can think of - even game such as muskrat and possum. They are my go to's when I want something classic or just looking for something different to make. Where else can you find peanut butter and bac ...more
A very good basic bookbook. Covers all types of cooking that are easily done at home. This was written before all the trends that are popular now. Want to know how to make a white sauce, this is the book for you.
Want to make a pot roast like your grandma, this is the book for you.
Want to make fried wontons dipped in white chocolate, go somewhere else.
Sep 22, 2007 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to cook
I have the 1947 edition, handed down to me by my grandmother. I love how it gives a glimpse into the eating habits in that recipes with pasta and basil : ) I love thumbing through and looking at the recipes my grandmother earmarked and making them in her memory.
This is also a cookbook both my grandmothers used. Favorite recipes from it:
-Venison Pot pie
-Bread Pudding
-Cream of Potato and Mushroom soup
Dec 28, 2011 Matriarchy added it
Shelves: cookbook, own
I have the 1949 4th Printing of this two-volume hardback set. Green cloth covers - the jackets are long lost.
André marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Danette Mondou
Danette Mondou marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Corey Malloy
Corey Malloy marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Nancy Scherer
Nancy Scherer marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Sarah Carter
Sarah Carter marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Diana Duncan
Diana Duncan marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Dawn Fitzgerald
Dawn Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Jubiliejoy marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Angela added it
Jan 27, 2013
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Randy marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015