Start by marking “Given Sugar, Given Salt” as Want to Read:
Given Sugar, Given Salt

Given Sugar, Given Salt

In this luminous and authoritative new collection, Jane Hirshfield presents an ever-deepening and altering comprehension of human existence in poems utterly unique, as William Matthews once wrote of her work, in their "praise of ceaseless mutability as life's central splendor."

In poems complex in meaning yet clear in statement and depiction, Hirshfield explores questions o
Published April 2nd 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Given Sugar, Given Salt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Given Sugar, Given Salt

Cheryl
Apr 20, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Given sugar, given salt, what will we do? What will you do? What will I do? Have we not already been given the sweet, the more complicated, invigorating salt? Who chooses one over the other, and why contrast these two, and not the bitter and the sweet? There is a song by River City Extension called Something Salty, Something Sweet which is about, well, sex of course, but Hirshfield is after something else. She is again illuminating simple objects like leather, rocks, vaccines, ants, a button, pi ...more
Lisa M.
Feb 22, 2014 Lisa M. rated it liked it
I really love the title of this book: "given sugar, given salt." Say it out loud a few times. I know I did while reading it! It's very rhythmic.

I would like to say that Hirshfield's writing was this rhythmic throughout the book - I was really looking forward to more lines like that. But, in reality, the full length of the line is "As water given sugar sweetens, as given salt grows salty." If your work needs to be shortened before finding a suitable title, that's a sign. And, in reality Hirshfie
Spencer
Feb 07, 2017 Spencer rated it really liked it
Poetry, I love you! Hirshfield is a hidden gem of a glorious poet. I love her collections. Touching, thoughtful, moving, whimsical, she takes me on a journey with every poem, every line. Brilliant!
Elizabeth Gentry
Jun 19, 2007 Elizabeth Gentry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I think of these poems yet. I like difficult, lyric poetry, but these are sometimes so detached--the images don't have any emotional resonance for me. Perhaps I'm just being lazy about making the connections. I'm perhaps also not crazy about the meta-poem references, or the allusions to a muse.
Rachel
Aug 15, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Some of these poems are a little too focused on the poet, or on themselves, but some of them open up new avenues of thought and reflection, which is the whole reason I read poetry in the first place. A very mixed bag, but overall a worthwhile read.
C
Aug 12, 2008 C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is the first poetry book I've read in a long time cover to cover. I read it like I read novels. I couldn't wait to get back to it. I loved every poem.
Julie Ehlers
Jan 23, 2014 Julie Ehlers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Some really great poems in here, both perfectly structured and very moving. I was surprised by how much I related to these, perhaps more than any other collection I've read.
Courtney
Apr 27, 2008 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I am lost. Hirshfield's careful, quiet words lead me back.
Paul Frandano
I read the poems of Given Sugar, Given Salt over a period of a month, at first in small bites - no more than three or four a day, usually before the sun came up, reading aloud in a still house - but today, the most beautiful day of the year here in Coastal Carolina (mid-70s, clear blue sky, magnolia blossoms when I look up), spending the afternoon on the front porch reading, and rereading, the last half or so of the collection.

In commenting on what I've read, I'll try to be concise. I'll try no
Farzana Marie
Nov 17, 2014 Farzana Marie rated it it was amazing
A luminous collection.

Some favorite moments:

"...Once, a certain hope came close
and then departed. Passed by me in its familiar
shawl, scented with iodine woodsmoke.

I did not speak to it, nor it to me.
Yet still the habit of warmth traveled
between us, like an apple shared by old friend--

One takes a bite, then the other.
They do this until it is gone."
(From "Apple")

"...As water given sugar sweetens, given salt grows salty,
we become our choices.
Each yes, each no continues,
this one a ladder, that o
Naomi
Mar 27, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Jane Hirshfield has a genuine quality that layers itself transparently in her poetry. Her tone is conversational, seemingly casual, intense in its questioning. I will pick up this book to skim a poem and find my mood completely altered, always for the better. She is honest, and it is her honesty that alarms me, not in it's complexity, but rather the opposite. Her pursuit is honest.
She includes the reader as a member of the conversation, which allows the words to have a sort of freedom. The struc
Katlyn
Nov 14, 2014 Katlyn rated it really liked it
"Luminous" is a fitting description of the book. I really enjoyed the way abstract concepts such as "hope" were anthropomorphized and so became striking images that forced new connotations of the words. Her focus on reflexive poems-- poems about themselves-- was innovative and didn't come off as overly intellectual or pretentious to me. They managed to look at why we write, what poetry touches in us, and wider human experiences. Really a pleasure, especially for a randomly selected library book!
Mary
Jul 27, 2010 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Why don’t I like Hirshfield? Probably because of what I’m reading in her “how to write poetry” book. I hate those books, but I’m talking about her poetry. She’s brilliant with her titles. Aside from that, I find her stuff too emotionally simple, too holier-than-thou, too... too everything that makes people hate poets. But she is brilliant with her titles, a department in which I am lacking.
Iris
Feb 23, 2010 Iris rated it it was ok
I appreciate the quietness of the pieces in this book, but some were whispered so softly I didn't hear them at all. I predict that if I reread this as a much older, wiser, calmer woman, that I would love it. For now, though it didn't stir in me much of anything.
Jimmy
Oct 30, 2012 Jimmy rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-authors
I don't get the fuss. I've already forgotten virtually every poem. I can't even remember what the poems were about. I know most were about everyday things, which, unless you write them in some unique way, makes them . . . well. . . everyday things.
David Sam
Jul 25, 2013 David Sam rated it really liked it
Jane Hirshfield has written better collections, but this one still resonates with her revisioning of the most commonplace of things and events into the deeply significant. When so much poetry seemingly is written to exclude the reader, Hirshfield intimately and profoundly includes us.
Rebecca Curtis
Women in Poetry 471R, This poet is amazing, her poems cover many themes but the whole collection centers around the simplicity that life can offer. Want to enrich your life? Read this collection because it is short and brilliant.
Kathryn Negard
Jun 27, 2013 Kathryn Negard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I think this is one of my favorite collections of poetry. Jane Hirshfield's poems are raw and honest, but she paints her emotions with such beauty. I envy her ability to convey one simple feeling with such clarity.
Dariyn Campbell
Mar 03, 2012 Dariyn Campbell rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A decent book of poetry - prose written by Jane Hirshfield. I enjoyed her book about poetry Nine Gates..and bought this book of her own poetry. She writes about everyday objects, time, and life's mystery. No silly love poems here. A deep observer of hidden meaning in the everyday.
Hannah
Mar 15, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Hirshfield's poetry has a depth of wisdom and intelligence that pull me in and keep me there. Many of these poems resonated with me and awed me. A great collection.
Meghan
Dec 08, 2016 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-reads, poetry, own
This may be one of my absolute favorite collections of poetry. With stunning observations, imagery, and delightfully unexpected turns, these poems take your soul on a journey.
Artifice Magazine
Mar 14, 2009 Artifice Magazine rated it liked it
Shelves: rebekah
Jane Hirshfield. Kind of like she killed the genre; and everyone had to just copy her.
Lynne
Aug 27, 2012 Lynne rated it it was amazing
read, "The Ladder"...well, read them all!
Marge
Nov 22, 2016 Marge rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!
Brandon
Jun 17, 2012 Brandon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, poetry
As one of my favorite poets, Hirshfield did not disappoint. Another fine collection.
Lindsey
Jan 10, 2013 Lindsey rated it it was ok
Favorites: "The Envoy," "Red Berries," "Apple," "Red Onion...," and "Elephant Seals..."
Mark
Oct 17, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
These poems reveal a simple and profound depth of attention to the many unfolding dimensions of each moment.
Dom Zuccone
Jul 19, 2010 Dom Zuccone rated it really liked it
Jane Hirshfield is a poet who like sugar or salt always seems to be there, fundamental, but not simple. Her poems remain with me the way some embraces seem to support us...
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2009
Steven Harte
Steven Harte rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2013
  • Otherwise: New and Selected Poems
  • Migration: New and Selected Poems
  • Words Under the Words: Selected Poems
  • Behind My Eyes [With CD]
  • Atlantis
  • White Apples and the Taste of Stone: Selected Poems, 1946-2006
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • What We Carry
  • Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty
  • Carolina Ghost Woods
  • The Poems of Marianne Moore
  • Strike Sparks: Selected Poems, 1980-2002
Jane Hirshfield is the author of seven collections of poetry, including Come Thief (Knopf, August 23, 2011), After (HarperCollins, 2006), which was named a “Best Book of 2006” by The Washington Post, The San Francisco Chronicle, and England’s Financial Times and shortlisted for England’s T.S. Eliot Award; and Given Sugar, Given Salt (finalist for the 2001 National Book Critics Circle Award); as we ...more
More about Jane Hirshfield...

“Neither a person entirely broken
nor one entirely whole can speak.

In sorrow, pretend to be fearless. In happiness, tremble.”
22 likes
“There the beloved red sweater,
bright tangle of necklace, earrings of amber.
Each confirming: I chose these, I.

But habit is different: it chooses.
And we, it's good horse,
opening our mouths at even the sight of the bit.”
9 likes