Start by marking “Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)” as Want to Read:
Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)

Skybowl (Dragon Star #3)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,462 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
With her widely acclaimed fantasy trilogy, Dragon Prince, Melanie Rawn opened an enchanted gateway to a spellbinding universe of Sunrunner’s magic and sorcerous evil, telling the tale of one man’s crusade to bring peace to a land divided into often warring kingdoms.

In the first two novels of the bestselling Dragon Star trilogy, the peaceful reign of High Prince Rohan was
Mass Market Paperback, 760 pages
Published March 1st 1994 by DAW (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Skybowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skybowl

Heather
Oct 16, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans, dragon lovers
Recommended to Heather by: my brother
Shelves: fantasy
The final book in the Sunnerrunner's world. It does not dissapoint. The battles are furiuos, the intrigue thick, and the characters engaging (as always).

While I wasn't particularly happy with everyone who ends up dead and those who remain alive (it is a war after all not everybody makes it). I do love this book. It's to say which I like more in this trilogy Stronghold or Skybowl. At least Meiglan redeems herself and isn't quite as stupid or insipid as she was when she first was introduced and P
Ban
Feb 25, 2010 Ban rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nothing to add - see review of The Dragon Prince

I seriously cried when this series ended.
Kaila
I wanted this series to end more epically than it did. It was so close. I could feel it building it up, I knew shit was about to go down. Some shit did go down, but the final battle did not strike the right chords for me.

As was my complaint with the last two books, there are too many characters with too many similar names. I’m beginning to wonder if I was more willing to keep characters straight when I was younger. Or had a better memory. I need them to have distinct characteristics and distinct
David
Oct 25, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
A final end to the world of Sunrunners that Melanie Rawn has painted. An end... and a new beginning. This certainly upped my enjoyment a notch compared to books 1 and 2. I loved this one as much as the original trilogy.

The pacing of the story is fast, and there's no let up as events unfold towards a final conclusion. War, violence, meaningless deaths, and even ethically-charged arguments regarding rape and abortion. The author certainly holds back nothing in trying to paint the sometimes pointle
Stephen
Feb 16, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it
Gemma
Aug 27, 2014 Gemma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A consistent yet satisfying conclusion to the series. Rawn still displays the talent and skill to completely immerse the reader in her world. Aside from the story line, I enjoyed the humour and strong characters (particularly the strong women) described within. Everyone has their distinct personalities, which remains consistent throughout, and with depths discovered along the way. I did, however, personally find the length a bit of hard work, especially having read the entire series through in o ...more
Josephine McNabb
Aug 07, 2015 Josephine McNabb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where do I start? Maarken... Rohannon... Sethric... Chayla... Meiglan... Rislyn... Kazander... Sioned... Audry... Meath... Chay... Tobin... Alasen... Sionell... Beth... Tilal...

It was a stunning ending with the final battle leaving me feeling wrung out and yet oddly satisfied. All of these characters just made the book for me. Rawn's talent for making the reader feel so immersed in the world is astounding.
Neil Steinwand
Apr 22, 2015 Neil Steinwand rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
A wonderful ending to my favorite series as a teenager. The plot line moved quickly, the plot twists were surprising, and the ending brought closure to the series.

Another reviewer reminded me of the fact that I cried at the end of the first reading... and the second reading, and the third reading, and every time I have finished the series.
Rob Towell
Apr 04, 2008 Rob Towell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
These books are all very good, in general. There are no real break through or any thing I would call out as being particularly good or inventive on the authors side, but the writing is done in a way that allows you to be pulled into the world.

One weakness of this author, is the frequent sex scenes, it seems for this author a recurring theme in her books is sex, sexual tension and sexuality in general are only a tool for manipulation and control. Normally this would not bug me too much however it
Sparrow Knight
Oct 29, 2015 Sparrow Knight rated it liked it
A richly realized story, but a slow pace. I didn't find this trilogy particularly gripping in the can't-put-it-down sense, but an enjoyable, intricate, & layered read. The characters have depth; quite a feat for so many characters.

In the end, tho', the drawn out nature of the ending took a star off. The moment-by-moment staging of the final battle wore me down to the point I actually set this book aside for a couple of weeks & read something else.
Jim Pike
Apr 02, 2015 Jim Pike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm saddened to see this series come to an end. Very well told, and intriguing every step of the way. I laughed, I cried and I worried. I couldn't wait to finish, yet dreaded finishing it.
Summerstorm
I am sorry to say I did not like this as much as the rest of the Dragon Prince & Star series. I had this feeling towards the end like Melanie was running out of pages! And had to condense a lot of the wrap-up into a short, vague mess. Pol goes from "I must have Sionell!!" to "being resigned not to have Sionell" within only a few pages, without much in between, and there is not much of a feeling of resolution there. Unlike in the other books. And considering we read for six books already... i ...more
Helen Corcoran
Apr 27, 2014 Helen Corcoran rated it it was amazing
I lost it with Sioned's choice.

...I... I don't really know what to do now. I want to know more--Pol and Sionell; Meig; Rislyn; the next generation--but I know there won't be more, and it's both infuriating and heartbreaking.

Also, in the Andry vs. Pol debate--I can't stand either of them. :P
Margaret
Apr 25, 2014 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I think this was the book when I finally bogged down in Rawn's huge cast of characters.
Lana
Oct 07, 2015 Lana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a magnificent book, the war is on and though many favourite people lose their lives its a great ending to an epic series. Andry and pol work together but then the need for power is too much!! love the way melanie rawn ties up all the loose ends at the end of the book, a great ending to a great series. am going to miss these books!!
Nov 30, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Met Skybowl komt een einde aan de tweede trilogie over de Prinsdommen en de Sunrunners. Leuk verhaal, de schrijfster is niet bang om iedereen af te slachten. Tikje onbevredigend dat nooit echt duidelijk wordt wat de motivatie van de vijanden was en wat de precieze geschiedenis van het hoofdcontinent was. Er wordt van alles gesuggereerd, maar niets echt besloten.
Vooral vreemd omdat overduidelijk is dat de bewoners van het continent met weinigen zijn en kennelijk een langdurige periode van stilst
Paul
Nov 30, 2011 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Achilles heel of the Stereotypically Irrational Invaders is found and exploited, the invasion is thwarted, the killings stop, we feast, brief return to excessive description of dresses, huzzah! It's a nice little plot. Makes me feel strangely better about my marriage, as my wife is a nearly dead ringer for one character who helps save the land.
Debby Allen
Jun 01, 2011 Debby Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'd think Hamlet, but get the Winter's Tale. Don't mistake, there are bodies everywhere in just about every state possible. Also, really wish Melanie hadn't burnt out. Slearly thee is something brewing with Chayla and Mieg and Jihan and all of that generation. Speculation is good, but Melanie would've gone even further. But what we got is damn good.
Markus
Nov 03, 2007 Markus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is the third in the Dragon Star Trilogy, taking place after the Dragon Prince Trilogy again it starts out to be a very politically oriented story line but turns into a great saga. The story keep your attention and takes you into a world of High Princes, Sunrunner magick and evil sorcery. It is a good read for any dragon and fantacy lover.
Omly
Jul 10, 2008 Omly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whole series has more than a bit of violence and sexuality, but this book in particular goes further with it. Don't get me wrong I do like this series, but the scene with the rape of an underage girl and subsequent debate on whether she should keep the pregnancy are is quite a politically, emotionally and ethically charged one.
Natalie Lozano
I believe this is the third or fourth Time I have read through this series. Along with Dragon Prince series before it. I love this series. Melanie Rawn is a inspiration to me. I hope I can be as good as she is, at storytelling.
Caeligh
Jun 29, 2008 Caeligh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy and magic lovers
Recommended to Caeligh by: family
This book is the finale of the dragon star trilogy which is the follow up of the dragon prince trilogy. It's really good but you better read all the other books first. You'll be seriously confused if you don't!
Christopher Tedor
Normally I wouldn't write a bad review, however, I remember reading this book sometime in junior highish maybe 1994-1995 and I can distinctly recall had bad it was. So much so that I threw it out.
Lynn
May 01, 2011 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a toss up for me on the best epic fantasy series. I think my favorites would be Rawn, Tolkien, Williams & Eddings but had to follow my heart and say this series was the best for me.
Bella
Apr 26, 2015 Bella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely does a series affect me as much as this one did. Well written, with an amazing world that kind of reminded me of Dune, I literally hung on every word. Fantastic!
Erica
Oct 17, 2012 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
...and by the end, her love stayed strong and I found that mine had fallen by the wayside. I remember being a bit disappointed in the last book.
Astrila
Jun 11, 2008 Astrila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Recommended to Astrila by: Me
I love this series. The intricacies of the politics and plots get you totally immersed. I've read the whole series at least twice.
Nicolet
Oct 30, 2009 Nicolet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series. I laughed. I cried. I LOVED theser characters. This series is awesome!
Alex
Jun 02, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
The very first fantasy/sci fi story I ever read. Unforgettable, addicting and amazing.
Leanda
Jan 13, 2014 Leanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the two trilogies that go together years ago and was enthralled by them.
  • Daughter of the Lion (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, #6)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)
  • The Uncrowned King (The Sun Sword, #2)
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • The Western Wizard (Renshai Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Magic (The Godwars, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 2)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
Melanie Rawn received a BA in history from Scripps College and worked as a teacher and editor before becoming a writer.

She has been nominated for a Locus award on three separate occasions: in 1989 for Dragon Prince (in the first novel category), in 1994 for Skybowl (in the fantasy novel category), and again in 1995 for Ruins of Ambrai (in the fantasy novel category).

More about Melanie Rawn...

Dragon Star (3 books)
  • Stronghold (Dragon Star, #1)
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)

“One voice whispered Beloved. She spread her colors on the starshine to embrace this land he had given her, and there were no shadows to darken the Fire soaring across the sand. Only light, only joy.

No one heard Elisel scream. Only the dragons saw her rise into the night sky like an arrow, mute after that one keening wail. It was two days before she returned to Skybowl.

Long before that, they found Sioned.”
7 likes