Start by marking “Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)” as Want to Read:
Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)

Skybowl (Dragon Star #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  7,852 ratings  ·  34 reviews
In the first two novels of the bestselling Dragon Star trilogy, the peaceful reign of High Prince Rohan was shattered by a mysterious invasion force which began a devastating campaign against the people of the Desert and the Sunrunners. And now, this magnificent epic is brought to a dramatic close.
Mass Market Paperback, 760 pages
Published March 1st 1994 by DAW (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Skybowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skybowl

Heather
Oct 16, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans, dragon lovers
Recommended to Heather by: my brother
Shelves: fantasy
The final book in the Sunnerrunner's world. It does not dissapoint. The battles are furiuos, the intrigue thick, and the characters engaging (as always).

While I wasn't particularly happy with everyone who ends up dead and those who remain alive (it is a war after all not everybody makes it). I do love this book. It's to say which I like more in this trilogy Stronghold or Skybowl. At least Meiglan redeems herself and isn't quite as stupid or insipid as she was when she first was introduced and P
Ban
nothing to add - see review of The Dragon Prince

I seriously cried when this series ended.
David
A final end to the world of Sunrunners that Melanie Rawn has painted. An end... and a new beginning. This certainly upped my enjoyment a notch compared to books 1 and 2. I loved this one as much as the original trilogy.

The pacing of the story is fast, and there's no let up as events unfold towards a final conclusion. War, violence, meaningless deaths, and even ethically-charged arguments regarding rape and abortion. The author certainly holds back nothing in trying to paint the sometimes pointle
Gemma
A consistent yet satisfying conclusion to the series. Rawn still displays the talent and skill to completely immerse the reader in her world. Aside from the story line, I enjoyed the humour and strong characters (particularly the strong women) described within. Everyone has their distinct personalities, which remains consistent throughout, and with depths discovered along the way. I did, however, personally find the length a bit of hard work, especially having read the entire series through in o ...more
Neil Steinwand
A wonderful ending to my favorite series as a teenager. The plot line moved quickly, the plot twists were surprising, and the ending brought closure to the series.

Another reviewer reminded me of the fact that I cried at the end of the first reading... and the second reading, and the third reading, and every time I have finished the series.
Rob Towell
These books are all very good, in general. There are no real break through or any thing I would call out as being particularly good or inventive on the authors side, but the writing is done in a way that allows you to be pulled into the world.

One weakness of this author, is the frequent sex scenes, it seems for this author a recurring theme in her books is sex, sexual tension and sexuality in general are only a tool for manipulation and control. Normally this would not bug me too much however it
Jim Pike
I'm saddened to see this series come to an end. Very well told, and intriguing every step of the way. I laughed, I cried and I worried. I couldn't wait to finish, yet dreaded finishing it.
Summerstorm
I am sorry to say I did not like this as much as the rest of the Dragon Prince & Star series. I had this feeling towards the end like Melanie was running out of pages! And had to condense a lot of the wrap-up into a short, vague mess. Pol goes from "I must have Sionell!!" to "being resigned not to have Sionell" within only a few pages, without much in between, and there is not much of a feeling of resolution there. Unlike in the other books. And considering we read for six books already... i ...more
Helen Corcoran
I lost it with Sioned's choice.

...I... I don't really know what to do now. I want to know more--Pol and Sionell; Meig; Rislyn; the next generation--but I know there won't be more, and it's both infuriating and heartbreaking.

Also, in the Andry vs. Pol debate--I can't stand either of them. :P
Margaret
I think this was the book when I finally bogged down in Rawn's huge cast of characters.
Met Skybowl komt een einde aan de tweede trilogie over de Prinsdommen en de Sunrunners. Leuk verhaal, de schrijfster is niet bang om iedereen af te slachten. Tikje onbevredigend dat nooit echt duidelijk wordt wat de motivatie van de vijanden was en wat de precieze geschiedenis van het hoofdcontinent was. Er wordt van alles gesuggereerd, maar niets echt besloten.
Vooral vreemd omdat overduidelijk is dat de bewoners van het continent met weinigen zijn en kennelijk een langdurige periode van stilst
Paul
The Achilles heel of the Stereotypically Irrational Invaders is found and exploited, the invasion is thwarted, the killings stop, we feast, brief return to excessive description of dresses, huzzah! It's a nice little plot. Makes me feel strangely better about my marriage, as my wife is a nearly dead ringer for one character who helps save the land.
Debby Allen
You'd think Hamlet, but get the Winter's Tale. Don't mistake, there are bodies everywhere in just about every state possible. Also, really wish Melanie hadn't burnt out. Slearly thee is something brewing with Chayla and Mieg and Jihan and all of that generation. Speculation is good, but Melanie would've gone even further. But what we got is damn good.
Markus
Nov 03, 2007 Markus rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is the third in the Dragon Star Trilogy, taking place after the Dragon Prince Trilogy again it starts out to be a very politically oriented story line but turns into a great saga. The story keep your attention and takes you into a world of High Princes, Sunrunner magick and evil sorcery. It is a good read for any dragon and fantacy lover.
Omly
This whole series has more than a bit of violence and sexuality, but this book in particular goes further with it. Don't get me wrong I do like this series, but the scene with the rape of an underage girl and subsequent debate on whether she should keep the pregnancy are is quite a politically, emotionally and ethically charged one.
Caroline
I enjoyed these when I was a pre-teen, but remember them being pretty trashy. Despite that, I read the entire series in quick succession after being recommended them by a friend, and pretty quickly forgot everything about them, so they're definitely not all that memorable.
Natalie Lozano
I believe this is the third or fourth Time I have read through this series. Along with Dragon Prince series before it. I love this series. Melanie Rawn is a inspiration to me. I hope I can be as good as she is, at storytelling.
Caeligh
Jun 29, 2008 Caeligh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy and magic lovers
Recommended to Caeligh by: family
This book is the finale of the dragon star trilogy which is the follow up of the dragon prince trilogy. It's really good but you better read all the other books first. You'll be seriously confused if you don't!
Christopher Tedor
Normally I wouldn't write a bad review, however, I remember reading this book sometime in junior highish maybe 1994-1995 and I can distinctly recall had bad it was. So much so that I threw it out.
Lynn
It is a toss up for me on the best epic fantasy series. I think my favorites would be Rawn, Tolkien, Williams & Eddings but had to follow my heart and say this series was the best for me.
Bella
Rarely does a series affect me as much as this one did. Well written, with an amazing world that kind of reminded me of Dune, I literally hung on every word. Fantastic!
Erica
...and by the end, her love stayed strong and I found that mine had fallen by the wayside. I remember being a bit disappointed in the last book.
Astrila
Jun 11, 2008 Astrila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Recommended to Astrila by: Me
I love this series. The intricacies of the politics and plots get you totally immersed. I've read the whole series at least twice.
Nicolet
I loved this series. I laughed. I cried. I LOVED theser characters. This series is awesome!
Alex
The very first fantasy/sci fi story I ever read. Unforgettable, addicting and amazing.
Leanda
I read the two trilogies that go together years ago and was enthralled by them.
Michele bookloverforever
epic series. sad ending. no happy ever after but the "good guys" do win.
Jesse
Still good...but I hope you wern't attched to all the characters...
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
Skybowl (Dragon Star, Book 3) by Melanie Rawn (1994)
Lisa
Skybowl by Melanie Rawn (1995)
  • Daughter of the Lion (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, #6)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 2)
  • The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)
  • The Uncrowned King (The Sun Sword, #2)
  • King Javan's Year (The Heirs of Saint Camber, #2 )
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • The Silver Branch (The Tales of Aeron, #1)
Melanie Rawn received a BA in history from Scripps College and worked as a teacher and editor before becoming a writer.

She has been nominated for a Locus award on three separate occasions: in 1989 for Dragon Prince (in the first novel category), in 1994 for Skybowl (in the fantasy novel category), and again in 1995 for Ruins of Ambrai (in the fantasy novel category).

More about Melanie Rawn...

Dragon Star (3 books)
  • Stronghold (Dragon Star, #1)
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1) Stronghold (Dragon Star, #1) The Ruins of Ambrai (Exiles, #1) The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2) Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)

“One voice whispered Beloved. She spread her colors on the starshine to embrace this land he had given her, and there were no shadows to darken the Fire soaring across the sand. Only light, only joy.

No one heard Elisel scream. Only the dragons saw her rise into the night sky like an arrow, mute after that one keening wail. It was two days before she returned to Skybowl.

Long before that, they found Sioned.”
5 likes