Start by marking “The Unexpected Man” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Man

The Unexpected Man

A famous author takes a train journey and sits opposite an unknown woman who's reading his latest book, The Unexpected Man. He observes her reading the novel but affects not to notice. Likewise, she pretends not to recognise that he is the writer. In bizarre, self-obsessed monologues these two characters relate memories, fears and ideas.
Published December 15th 1998 by Faber & Faber (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Man

Edgar Trevizo
Mar 29, 2015 Edgar Trevizo rated it it was amazing
Oh, my! What a splendid piece of literature! And that ending! I've been in love with Yazmina since I've watched "Carnage", by Roman Polanski. "Art" was just ok, I guess, but this one, this one, Yazmina...! You got me again. I'm yours!
M. Sarki
I wasn't sure about this one until near the end when I decided I liked it very much. I believe a subsequent reading of ti would most likely result in an added star. But who knows? Not sure I will have the time for that. So much reading and so little time. But Reza certainly is a charm.
Linnea
Nov 10, 2016 Linnea rated it really liked it
Two people on a train with their thoughts, no stage directions. This could be boring, but Reza has a sharp pen and good insights into the human mind. Good play, good play.
Natira
Dec 20, 2014 Natira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Ein wunderbares Stück über zwei Menschen, die sich in einem Zugabteil gegenübersitzen. Es geht nicht nur darum, ob und ggf. wie fremde Menschen in Kontakt treten. Beide reflektieren über ihre aktuelle Situation im Leben, über ihr soziales Umfeld. Und dazu geht es auch um das Schreiben und das Lesen von Büchern, was man in den Text bringt und was was daraus entnimmt.

Und David Suchet und Harriet Walter sind großartig. Ich kann mir vorstellen, dass dieses Stück als reine Eigen-Lektüre nicht so kra
Lizzie
I loved this soooooo much once.

I'm afraid it might actually be really stupid.

It's essentially a set of monologues, back and forth, which is a thing I sort of dig. Perhaps, though, I dug it more as a writing exercise than I would on a stage. (I immediately started writing a rip-off, when I read it in high school. I found it really inspiring.) I'd go to see it, sometime, and maybe, on the right Sunday afternoon, I'd read it again.
Corinne Wahlberg
Jan 25, 2010 Corinne Wahlberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I love the idea behind this. Easy to produce, easy to stage, two wonderful actors in two chairs would be all you'd need. and perhaps a yellow suit. It's strange how readers idolize writers and how writers get so easily disenchanted with their work - so self degrading. A long time recommendation finally taken.
Emily
Jan 07, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could be interpreted as a trite concept but I found it incredibly moving. The nearness of strangers and the serendipity of interactions play to form this piece of successive and related monologues.
Grace Turner
I'm a little in love with this piece. A peek into the minds of two fantastic characters with so much to say (who prefer to leave everything unsaid), and an ending that left me grinning with satisfaction.
Selah
Apr 04, 2015 Selah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This play is very short - like a dramatized short story. It's an interesting character study of an author and a longtime fan. Beautifully read by the ah-mazing David Suchet and Harriet Walter.
Baahaarmast
Nov 20, 2013 Baahaarmast rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It Was Amazing : )

"دلم میخواد یه روز برام توضیح بدند که چرا ناغافل غصه به آدم حملهور میشه، اون هم درست وقتی که همهچی روبهراه ئه."
Brian
Brian rated it did not like it
Oct 02, 2016
Julie Boston
Julie Boston rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2017
Halojmes
Halojmes rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2012
MR
MR rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Alborz Baghipour
Alborz Baghipour rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Yasaman
Yasaman rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Pourya Ezzati pour
Pourya Ezzati pour rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
makan
makan rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2007
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Ula
Ula rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Kati Semanski
Kati Semanski rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2017
Roy Burdine
Roy Burdine rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Emily Jayne
Emily Jayne rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Leo
Leo rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Yasmina Reza began work as an actress, appearing in several new plays as well as in plays by Molière and Marivaux. In 1987 she wrote Conversations after a Burial, which won the Molière Award for Best Author. Following this, she translated Kafka's Metamorphosis for Roman Polanski and was nominated for a Molière Award for Best Translation. Her second play, Winter Crossing, won the 1990 Molière for B ...more
More about Yasmina Reza...