Start by marking “Afflicted” as Want to Read:
Afflicted

Afflicted

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  11 reviews
It's hard to understand why some people feel the need to hurt themselves, especially when they seem to have everything they need or want out of life. So how do you help someone bent on a path of self-destruction?

And what can you possibly do when it's someone you love?

This short but powerful story is about a young man who discovers his lover is a "cutter." Simply asking him...more
Published August 12th 2009 by JMS Books LLC (first published January 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Afflicted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afflicted

Mammarella
very short. very hurt. very comfort. very sad yet very hopeful. very endearing. liked it very much.

Boys are at the very beginning of their lives, just confessing their love for each other. The story is very hopeful, since there is a good chance a cute but very damaged boy on the cover will be eventually and quite literally saved by his partner's love.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Quick little read that addresses some of the emotions involved with cutting in some people. The character's reactions were mostly realistic but some were ridiculous. The biggest issue is that the story is way too short. There just isn't enough time to deal with the subject matter. If it had been much longer, I would have easily given it another star.

Happy ending? (view spoiler)

Ami
Oh, wow, for a story that is so short (15 pages or so), this one captures the beautiful love that aims to heal. It's touching and tender. For a snippet of a life of a cutter and his wonderful lover, this one is definitely a treasure.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I don't even know how to describe this one, it's so sad and touching and hopeful and far too short.
It's told from the boyfriends perspective, we don't know his name, just what he feels when he realizes what his lover is doing.
I wish it were longer, to really feel hopeful that things will change and get better , as it is I'm only vaguely hopeful.
This isn't someone these two can really deal with all alone.
Elisa Rolle

J.M. Snyder could make you laugh, like in The Positions of Love series, but when she decides to make you cry, well she does a very good job!

In this short story, less then 15 pages, the two characters don't have a name. They are Lover and Cutter for me. Lover is a good boy, an head to heart boy, I could think at him like an athlete or some other All American boy. And he loves Cutter. Cutter is a shy guy, maybe with some unresolved conflicts in his life, perhaps with his family. He loves Lover, b...more
Carole
This poignant story written in first-person touched my heart. When you discover that someone you love is involved in a self-destructive behavior, what do you do? How far do you go to help?

JM Snyder really struck a chord with me in this short story with her perceptive take on being there for someone you care about, especially when they are hurting.
Karen K
Just a short story but so touching and heart-wrenching. I would have loved it if JM had continued it.
Emily Moore
"The first time I saw him naked, I noticed the cuts."

I had read this story before, and was reminded of it when I was getting the links together for the review of One of Us. Afflicted is an powerful story that is difficult for me to read for many personal reasons. It brings me to tears each time I read it. It is powerful and deals with a subject that few are willing to talk about, and even fewer are willing to write about. It is short, even for a short story, at a little over 3,000 words, but is...more
Kassa
This short story has been previously published in the anthology "Best Gay Romance 2009" by Cleis Press. However given the prolific nature of the author, this gem might have passed some readers by so be sure to pick up this re-release if you haven’t read it. A too short look at a powerful topic that is rarely ever broached, this story has a surprisingly romantic and sensual tone even amidst the darker context. This is a wonderful short that easily stands out in the sea of shorter fiction.

Neither...more
Loopy
Aug 25, 2012 Loopy marked it as not-for-me
self harm - it's bad enough that I have to deal with people like this in real life, I don't need to read about it.
J.M.
Jun 24, 2009 J.M. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, glbt, e-books
This is my book so I'm not going to write a review.
Actually...no
Actually...no marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Amy ♥
Amy ♥ marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Britney
Britney marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Amami
Amami marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Notta Chance
Notta Chance marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Ana
Ana added it
Dec 25, 2012
Ery
Ery marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2012
Lada
Lada added it
Oct 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
An author of gay erotic/romantic fiction, J.M. Snyder began in self-publishing and worked with Amber Allure, Aspen Mountain, eXcessica, and Torquere Presses.

Snyder's highly erotic short gay fiction has been published online at Amazon Shorts, Eros Monthly, Ruthie's Club, and Tit-Elation, as well as in anthologies by Alyson Books, Aspen Mountain, Cleis Press, eXcessica Publishing, Lethe Press, and R...more
More about J.M. Snyder...
Power Play Scarred Persistence of Memory Joy Ride Love in the Library