Start by marking “Afflicted” as Want to Read:
Afflicted

Afflicted

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
It's hard to understand why some people feel the need to hurt themselves, especially when they seem to have everything they need or want out of life. So how do you help someone bent on a path of self-destruction?

And what can you possibly do when it's someone you love?

This short but powerful story is about a young man who discovers his lover is a "cutter." Simply asking him
Published August 12th 2009 by JMS Books LLC (first published January 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Afflicted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afflicted

M'rella
very short. very hurt. very comfort. very sad yet very hopeful. very endearing. liked it very much.

Boys are at the very beginning of their lives, just confessing their love for each other. The story is very hopeful, since there is a good chance a cute but very damaged boy on the cover will be eventually and quite literally saved by his partner's love.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Quick little read that addresses some of the emotions involved with cutting in some people. The character's reactions were mostly realistic but some were ridiculous. The biggest issue is that the story is way too short. There just isn't enough time to deal with the subject matter. If it had been much longer, I would have easily given it another star.

Happy ending? (view spoiler)

Ami
Feb 04, 2010 Ami rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
Oh, wow, for a story that is so short (15 pages or so), this one captures the beautiful love that aims to heal. It's touching and tender. For a snippet of a life of a cutter and his wonderful lover, this one is definitely a treasure.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Oct 02, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Ami
I don't even know how to describe this one, it's so sad and touching and hopeful and far too short.
It's told from the boyfriends perspective, we don't know his name, just what he feels when he realizes what his lover is doing.
I wish it were longer, to really feel hopeful that things will change and get better , as it is I'm only vaguely hopeful.
This isn't someone these two can really deal with all alone.
Elisa Rolle

J.M. Snyder could make you laugh, like in The Positions of Love series, but when she decides to make you cry, well she does a very good job!

In this short story, less then 15 pages, the two characters don't have a name. They are Lover and Cutter for me. Lover is a good boy, an head to heart boy, I could think at him like an athlete or some other All American boy. And he loves Cutter. Cutter is a shy guy, maybe with some unresolved conflicts in his life, perhaps with his family. He loves Lover, b
Carole
Nov 23, 2009 Carole rated it it was amazing
This poignant story written in first-person touched my heart. When you discover that someone you love is involved in a self-destructive behavior, what do you do? How far do you go to help?

JM Snyder really struck a chord with me in this short story with her perceptive take on being there for someone you care about, especially when they are hurting.
Karen K
Apr 22, 2010 Karen K rated it really liked it
Just a short story but so touching and heart-wrenching. I would have loved it if JM had continued it.
Emily Moore
Aug 02, 2012 Emily Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, gay
"The first time I saw him naked, I noticed the cuts."

I had read this story before, and was reminded of it when I was getting the links together for the review of One of Us. Afflicted is an powerful story that is difficult for me to read for many personal reasons. It brings me to tears each time I read it. It is powerful and deals with a subject that few are willing to talk about, and even fewer are willing to write about. It is short, even for a short story, at a little over 3,000 words, but is
Kassa
Feb 07, 2010 Kassa rated it really liked it
This short story has been previously published in the anthology "Best Gay Romance 2009" by Cleis Press. However given the prolific nature of the author, this gem might have passed some readers by so be sure to pick up this re-release if you haven’t read it. A too short look at a powerful topic that is rarely ever broached, this story has a surprisingly romantic and sensual tone even amidst the darker context. This is a wonderful short that easily stands out in the sea of shorter fiction.

Neither
T.T. Kove
Short and powerful. Deals with self-harm. This resonated with me, even if it was short. It's the kind of subject I, too, write about. Heartbreaking, but a good story!
Tailtiu
Feb 23, 2016 Tailtiu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
Part of the So In Love - Box Set
Claudia
Dec 29, 2015 Claudia rated it really liked it
Sad and hopeful.loved it.
Loopy
Aug 25, 2012 Loopy marked it as not-for-me
self harm - it's bad enough that I have to deal with people like this in real life, I don't need to read about it.
J.M.
Jun 24, 2009 J.M. rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, glbt, e-books
This is my book so I'm not going to write a review.
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Feb 23, 2016
Lillian Francis
Lillian Francis marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Jnet1999
Jnet1999 rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Sammymc
Sammymc rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Sarah Saukerson
Sarah Saukerson marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Jade
Jade rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Heddie
Heddie rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Ale Snape li
Ale Snape li marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Actually...no
Actually...no marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
J.D. Walker
J.D. Walker rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Leanne
Leanne rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014
Britney
Britney marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
An author of gay erotic/romantic fiction, J.M. Snyder began in self-publishing and worked with Amber Allure, Aspen Mountain, eXcessica, and Torquere Presses.

Snyder's highly erotic short gay fiction has been published online at Amazon Shorts, Eros Monthly, Ruthie's Club, and Tit-Elation, as well as in anthologies by Alyson Books, Aspen Mountain, Cleis Press, eXcessica Publishing, Lethe Press, and R
More about J.M. Snyder...