Start by marking “Godspeed” as Want to Read:
Godspeed

Godspeed

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Isolato dal commercio interstellare, il mondo di Erin si ritrova confinato nello spazio angusto del suo sistema stellare. La popolazione umana sopravvive a stento con le risorse dell'ecosistema del pianeta e con i resti di una grandiosa tecnologia di tempi leggendari in cui le immense astronavi dotate dei motori "godsped" viaggiavano nella galassia più rapide della luce. M ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 15th 1994 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Godspeed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Godspeed

Rob Bliss
Nov 30, 2013 Rob Bliss rated it did not like it
This was terrible. Not even good as a 1950s B-movie plot (Hint: Mars Needs Women), which it comes close to. It was flawed from the ground up.

Never mind that the villains are tacked on: youre going on a space ship ride and one of the, trusted, crew members says shes inviting 2 scientists. The protag is looking for a couple guys who JUST killed his father, but, sure, let the scientists come cuz theyre scientists so they can be trusted.

The major flaw was that women are not allowed into space. On sp
Krishna Shah
Oct 30, 2010 Krishna Shah rated it liked it
This was a good adventure tale with a young boy wanting to reclaim space flight for the future of the 40 worlds. I like the way sheffield likes to imagine what ifs of space exploration that so unique and how people adapt to it. Yet I always feel that his books are part of a universe or series of books because there is so much left unexplained and hanging. Yet the books are almost always stand alones and I feel that there were threads that were developed that didn't go anywhere. An enjoyable read ...more
John Bourn
Treasure Island in space. This book is a clever S.F. adaptation of the old classic that has been a favorite of mine for many years. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a fast but enrapturing read.
Nick
This early Sheffield book seemed like an attempt at something like the Heinlein juvenile SF novels of the 1950s, but much updated. While not great, it was very readable, and the story was exciting. My only complaint with it was that most of the adults acted like total idiots at least once during the story, sometimes with fatal results. Even the "reliable" adult characters let the reader down. The teen characters were much more believable than any of the adults, by the end of the book. Well, the ...more
Thomas
Sep 13, 2009 Thomas rated it liked it
I like Charles Sheffield's books. They're always fast paced and contain genuinely believable characters, but they're light as all get out. This is a lesser work than his Heritage books, but still enjoyable. A fascinating and plausible space adventure.
Geoffrey
Oct 02, 2014 Geoffrey rated it it was ok
... lost my review...
My main issue is the second half of the book falls flat. They work up to reaching Paddy's Fortune, then everything changes. Characters change demeanor, the plot looses all momentum, and the story looses its focus.
Peter Brander
Nov 13, 2013 Peter Brander rated it liked it
Treasure Island retold as SF. Mildly entertaining, but totally unnecessary. It just makes you want to read the original instead of enjoying the book. If not for that silly mistake, the book could have been a good juvenile.
Ashton R.
Apr 06, 2012 Ashton R. rated it it was amazing
A book that really keeps you on your toes. I was sitting on the edge of my seat the entire time, I never wanted to put this one down. I was thoroughly disappointed when I found out there wasn't a second book to follow.
Ralph McEwen
Jan 09, 2011 Ralph McEwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cheryl
Recommended to Ralph by: Cheryl
This was a good fast read. I liked the protagonist and how the other characters seem believable. The story is tight and doesn't spend excessive time describing the scenes.
Austin Peters
Jul 28, 2011 Austin Peters rated it did not like it
I liked the story, but something was missing in the writing. I just didn't care about the characters like I should have. It's a decent read but overall uninspiring.
Michel
Aug 24, 2011 Michel added it
Easy reading, written for youthful reader, but I still finished it and enjoyed it.
Diana
Feb 05, 2013 Diana rated it liked it
it's kind of preachy.
Denisa
Another rating: 8/10
Hank Hoeft
Hank Hoeft rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Jadda Moffett
Jadda Moffett rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Sergey
Sergey rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Philip Wickstrand
Philip Wickstrand marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Elsi
Elsi rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
James
James added it
May 28, 2016
David George
David George rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Larry Head
Larry Head marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Jonathan Warshay
Jonathan Warshay marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Howard
Howard rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mallory Heart Reviews marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Exiles Trilogy (Exiles, #1-3)
  • Hot Sky at Midnight
  • A Trace of Memory
  • Secret of the Lost Race
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • Through the Eye of a Needle (Needle, #2)
  • Venus of Dreams
  • Police Your Planet
  • Purgatory (Galactic Comedy #2)
  • Spacepaw (Dilbia, #2)
  • Mountain Magic
  • Lunar Descent (Near Space, #3)
  • Undercurrents
  • Skyfall
  • Children No More (Jon & Lobo, #4)
  • Berserker Kill (Berserker, #9)
  • Hiero's Journey (Hiero, #1)
  • Judgment at Proteus (Quadrail, #5)
Charles A. Sheffield (June 25, 1935 – November 2, 2002), was an English-born mathematician, physicist and science fiction author. He had been a President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and of the American Astronomical Society.

His novel The Web Between the Worlds, featuring the construction of a space elevator, was published almost simultaneously with Arthur C. Clarke's novel
More about Charles Sheffield...