Start by marking “Godspeed” as Want to Read:
Godspeed

Godspeed

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Isolato dal commercio interstellare, il mondo di Erin si ritrova confinato nello spazio angusto del suo sistema stellare. La popolazione umana sopravvive a stento con le risorse dell'ecosistema del pianeta e con i resti di una grandiosa tecnologia di tempi leggendari in cui le immense astronavi dotate dei motori "godsped" viaggiavano nella galassia più rapide della luce. M ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 15th 1994 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Godspeed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Godspeed

Krishna Shah
This was a good adventure tale with a young boy wanting to reclaim space flight for the future of the 40 worlds. I like the way sheffield likes to imagine what ifs of space exploration that so unique and how people adapt to it. Yet I always feel that his books are part of a universe or series of books because there is so much left unexplained and hanging. Yet the books are almost always stand alones and I feel that there were threads that were developed that didn't go anywhere. An enjoyable read ...more
Cheryl
Oh such fun. Not hugely thoughtful - but a classic adventure. A little exploration, too, of what it might be like to live on an 'almost' hospitable to human life. Might more aptly be called 'Quest for Godspeed' in my opinion. Some mature themes & graphic scenes make it 'iffy' for younger teens. (I mention this because, in my experience, readers of sf tend to read above their level.)
Rob Bliss
This was terrible. Not even good as a 1950s B-movie plot (Hint: Mars Needs Women), which it comes close to. It was flawed from the ground up.

Never mind that the villains are tacked on: youre going on a space ship ride and one of the, trusted, crew members says shes inviting 2 scientists. The protag is looking for a couple guys who JUST killed his father, but, sure, let the scientists come cuz theyre scientists so they can be trusted.

The major flaw was that women are not allowed into space. On sp
Nick
This early Sheffield book seemed like an attempt at something like the Heinlein juvenile SF novels of the 1950s, but much updated. While not great, it was very readable, and the story was exciting. My only complaint with it was that most of the adults acted like total idiots at least once during the story, sometimes with fatal results. Even the "reliable" adult characters let the reader down. The teen characters were much more believable than any of the adults, by the end of the book. Well, the ...more
Thomas
I like Charles Sheffield's books. They're always fast paced and contain genuinely believable characters, but they're light as all get out. This is a lesser work than his Heritage books, but still enjoyable. A fascinating and plausible space adventure.
Geoffrey
... lost my review...
My main issue is the second half of the book falls flat. They work up to reaching Paddy's Fortune, then everything changes. Characters change demeanor, the plot looses all momentum, and the story looses its focus.
Peter Brander
Treasure Island retold as SF. Mildly entertaining, but totally unnecessary. It just makes you want to read the original instead of enjoying the book. If not for that silly mistake, the book could have been a good juvenile.
Ashton R.
A book that really keeps you on your toes. I was sitting on the edge of my seat the entire time, I never wanted to put this one down. I was thoroughly disappointed when I found out there wasn't a second book to follow.
Ralph McEwen
Jan 09, 2011 Ralph McEwen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cheryl
Recommended to Ralph by: Cheryl
This was a good fast read. I liked the protagonist and how the other characters seem believable. The story is tight and doesn't spend excessive time describing the scenes.
Austin Peters
I liked the story, but something was missing in the writing. I just didn't care about the characters like I should have. It's a decent read but overall uninspiring.
Michel
Aug 24, 2011 Michel added it
Easy reading, written for youthful reader, but I still finished it and enjoyed it.
Diana
it's kind of preachy.
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Alex McCarron
Alex McCarron is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2015
Phillip
Phillip marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Ian Cruickshank
Ian Cruickshank marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Baker Romeo
Baker Romeo marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Dick
Dick added it
Dec 10, 2014
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
  • The Exiles Trilogy (Exiles, #1-3)
  • Hot Sky at Midnight
  • Secret of the Lost Race
  • Spacespaw (Dilbia, #2)
  • Clarke County, Space (Near Space, #2)
  • Police Your Planet
  • Through the Eye of a Needle (Needle, #2)
  • Children No More (Jon & Lobo, #4)
  • Venus of Dreams
  • Skyfall
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • Hunter of Worlds (Hanan Rebellion, #2)
  • Earth Made of Glass (Giraut #2)
  • There Will Be Time
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • The Jagged Orbit
  • The Candle of Distant Earth
  • Hiero's Journey (Hiero, #1)
Charles A. Sheffield (June 25, 1935 – November 2, 2002), was an English-born mathematician, physicist and science fiction author. He had been a President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and of the American Astronomical Society.

His novel The Web Between the Worlds, featuring the construction of a space elevator, was published almost simultaneously with Arthur C. Clarke's novel
More about Charles Sheffield...
Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1) Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1) Cold as Ice  (Cold as Ice #1) Tomorrow and Tomorrow Divergence (Heritage Universe 2)