Start by marking “Farewell, Godspeed: The Greatest Eulogies of Our Time” as Want to Read:
Farewell, Godspeed: The Greatest Eulogies of Our Time

Farewell, Godspeed: The Greatest Eulogies of Our Time

Farewell, Godspeed is a remarkable collection of eulogies for some of the most notable figures of our time, delivered by the people who knew them best. In the words used to eulogize the great and celebrated men and women of the world—sometimes reverential, sometimes funny, always poignant—we come as close as perhaps we ever will to seeing the warm humanity beneath their pu ...more
Published December 23rd 2003 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about Farewell, Godspeed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell, Godspeed

H
Jul 11, 2010 H added it
Shelves: nonfiction
When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.

Art establishes the basic human truths which must serve as the touchstones of our judgment. The artist, however faithful to his personal vision of reality, becomes the last champion of the individual mind and sensibility against an intrusive society and an officious stat
David
Dec 27, 2007 David rated it really liked it
The title promises "the greatest eulogies of our time", and the book delivers on its promise. Here are some of the eulogies included:

Adlai Stevenson on Eleanor Roosevelt
Bob Hope on Jack Benny
John F. Kennedy on Robert Frost
Fidel Castro on Che Guevara
Friedrich Engels on Karl Marx
John Huston on Humphrey Bogart
Christopher Isherwood on Virginia Woolf

In total, there are 64 eulogies, covering the following (somewhat arbitrarily defined) "categories":

Maestros
Visionaries
Wisecrackers
Captains of Industry
Ma
L
Mar 21, 2011 L rated it liked it
Reading so many eulogies at once was both sobering and inspiring. An interesting read! I learned a solid little bit about a lot of people, some of which inspired me to check out biographies on some of the people (Lucille Ball and Eleanor Roosevelt especially).

I was surprised to notice that there seem to be a handful of styles of eulogies. Some eulogies are lovely testaments to a life well lived, some are about world affairs or philosophy and some are more about the eulogizer than person of the
Robin
Nov 06, 2009 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's a little odd to read eulogies, I know, but I enjoyed the "mini-biography" aspect these had. It is a great collection, (featuring artists, authors, scientists, adventurers, politicians, actors) all written by friends or colleagues. I enjoyed reading Diane Sawyer write about Lucille Ball, and Fidel Castro write about Che Guevara.
Deirdre Keating
I was disappointed that "great" here was defined more by the fame of the deceased or the speaker than by the actual words of the eulogy. In retrospect, the greatest eulogies can only register as great by those who knew and loved the departed, because what makes a eulogy great is the ability to capture some essence of that person for those left behind.
Rahadyan
Jul 28, 2011 Rahadyan rated it it was amazing
As I've grown older, more and more I've confronted my own mortality and that of various loved ones. To that end, I've tried to prepare myself for passings and this book has been a starting point for how I might eulogize various people in my life. Highly recommended.
Gail
Apr 09, 2008 Gail rated it liked it
Although this isn't quite what I thought it would be, the book presents quiite an iteresting picture of changing values and popular attitudes. Some humor here and there and many moving passages make this fairly interesting.
Katherine Angle
Apr 03, 2016 Katherine Angle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time for reflection---

This reading sparks many memories that is enough to hold it to a good standing. There are no mysteries just remembered people's lives to behold and treasure.
Shawna Fuller
Shawna Fuller rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2013
samantha Bloom
samantha Bloom rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2017
Jason Roland
Jason Roland rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
Ron
Ron rated it it was ok
May 03, 2015
Cyrus Copeland
Cyrus Copeland rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Ploomer
Ploomer rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2009
Gladys Vazquez
Gladys Vazquez rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Jessi
Jessi rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2011
Tamar
Tamar rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2008
Marita Anderson
Marita Anderson rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2016
Ashlyn Williamson
Ashlyn Williamson rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Tina Schumann
Tina Schumann rated it really liked it
May 20, 2015
Matt Holler
Matt Holler rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Leeanna Weaver
Leeanna Weaver rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Tammielyn
Tammielyn rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Elijah
Elijah rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Kay Haring
Kay Haring rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Lee Ann
Lee Ann rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Diana Petty-stone
Mar 22, 2017 Diana Petty-stone rated it it was amazing
A very interesting read. Sixty Four eulogies of well known people and most of them delivered by well know people.
Michelle Paulson
Michelle Paulson rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Kristina Meschi
Kristina Meschi rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014