Start by marking “The vision” as Want to Read:
The vision

The vision

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  10,434 Ratings  ·  223 Reviews
DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES...

He's watching you. He knows what you're doing. He knows what you're thinking. He's coming after you.

DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES...

He has a knife. The steel blade gleams. Whenever you close your eyes, you can see it--the tip of his knife, pointing at your chest.

DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES...

He's closing them for you.

"A master of sheer fright... the tension never
Mass Market Paperback, 303 pages
Published March 1st 1986 by Berkley Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The vision, please sign up.

Mike Marsbergen Guessed it as soon as Alan pissed me off with his anti-Max stuff. So chapter 2, I think. Thought it would've been better if we knew right off the bat…moreGuessed it as soon as Alan pissed me off with his anti-Max stuff. So chapter 2, I think. Thought it would've been better if we knew right off the bat that Alan was the bad guy, instead of the lame, obvious attempt at keeping the reader guessing.(less)
Odd Thomas by Dean KoontzWatchers by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
45th out of 77 books — 780 voters
Sex in the Title by Zack LoveThe Syrian Virgin by Zack LoveAnissa's Redemption by Zack LoveA House Without Windows by Stevie TurnerMemoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Books You Won't Forget and Will Love
170th out of 212 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Bettie☯
Description: Mary Bergen is a clairvoyant, able to forsee murders that will happen in the near future, but unable to prevent them from taking place. And now she is up against a power that is stronger than her own, a power that is taking her over, a power that is trying to kill her before she can identify it...

Opening: 'GLOVES OF BLOOD.'
The woman raised her hands and stared at them, stared through them.
Her voice was soft but tense. 'Blood on his hands.' Her own hands were clean and pale.
Her husba
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 27, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller, stalker
Every move you make, every breath you take, he'll be watching you...

Jesus christ this book was creepy! I have yet to read a book that has scared me, but The Vision was certainly eerie enough and disturbing enough to make me wonder about it days after finishing it. Koontz' work is well-written, full of vibrant characters and a gripping plot. Excellent book, I highly recommend it.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
"Gloves of Blood" - opening line of The Vision

A blue giraffe standing in the center of a giant custard pie - The Vision, Chapter 5

Bloody little footprints of a cat all across the light tan carpet. - The Vision, Chapter 17

"I wrote The Vision while living in Las Vegas, when I was young and stupid." - Dean Koontz, Afterword

There are a few good parts throughout the book, but the best payoff is in the ending. The Vision is worth reading as one of Dean's early novels, but not among his best - not by
Julie Powell
Jan 27, 2014 Julie Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always like stories by Dean Koontz and this was no exception. It was cleverly psychological and kept me guessing 'whodunit' although I did suspect the killer and I was right.

Well written, great characters, descriptions, suspense and plot.

Recommended read.
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
Mary Bergman is a clairvoyant. She helps in murder cases to help police catch a killer. There is a serial killer on the loose. Mary is getting visions on who he was going to kill next. Along with having to face the serial killer, Mary will also have to face her past. To what had happened to her twenty- four years ago.

I wasn't very much of a fan of this book either. I didn't like Koontz writing in this all that well. The heroine was way to dependent on her husband Max and acted like a spoiled bra
Uriah
Apr 16, 2011 Uriah rated it it was ok
Mary is a talented clairvoyant who's found her calling in helping police across the country solve cases despite having no leads. Aided and guided by her devoted husband and doting brother, she's led a seemingly simple life. Until her visions change, and a dark, preternatural force seems to enter her life. Where are these visions coming from? Will she be able to solve this new case and find her answers before it's too late for her and those she loves?

Far from one of Koontz's best works, this is s
Mackenzie Petermeier
Jan 06, 2009 Mackenzie Petermeier rated it it was amazing
A book that I would recommend is The Vision by Dean Koontz. This book is a thriller that keeps your mind going. The Vision is suspenseful and also quite slow in spots and quite predictable, but for the reader who wants a thriller without too much gore this could be a perfect choice. Mary Bergen is the main character, which has a gifted clairvoyant. Her psychic ability and haunting visions to aide the police in solving both past and future crimes, but who must also deal with the stress of not ...more
Tiffany Bates
Apr 12, 2014 Tiffany Bates rated it liked it
I think this could have been a 4 if I hadn't read such a fast paced novel right before this. Maybe. Going to this book after a fast pace book made it seem very slow at times and I was thinking 'get on with it'. I predicted who the killer was going to be really early on as well, but hoped all the way through that I was going to be wrong and that would make it great for fooling me. But alas it didn't unfortunately. The premise was interesting, and it would still make a good read for anyone looking ...more
Melissa Hatcher
Sep 26, 2016 Melissa Hatcher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Worst Koontz book I've yet read.

I was having a bad day.
It is the worst Koontz book I've yet read, but it wasn't a waste of time.
Suzana Vuksanovic
Somewhat better than the previous book by Koontz that I had finished reading immediately before commencing this one (Voice Of The Night).
The story is about a psychic woman who has "visions" of soon-to-be committed murders and helps the police to catch the perpetrators. She can never prevent the murders in her visions, she can only hope to prevent future homicides by the same person.
She is at the apex of an uncomfortable triangle with her adored and charming brother on one side and her husband of
Martin Maher
Sep 21, 2009 Martin Maher rated it really liked it
Shelves: dean-koontz, thriller
`The Vision`is a story about a woman by the name of Mary Bergen who has clairvoyant abilities & uses those abilities to help police officers & detectives in their investigations. When we meet Mary at the start of this story, she`s tracking down a killer, & although she`s done this on many occasions in the past, this time something is different, something that triggers memories of her past, which she has buried since her childhood.

I bought this novel in a local bookshop because I had
Kaustubh
Jul 04, 2014 Kaustubh rated it really liked it
It was my 4th book by Dean Koontz. Earlier beings 'The Bad Place', 'Winter Moon' and 'Velocity'. A few readers mentioned here that it was a bit slow in spots, but i tend to disagree. In fact, i felt the plot was perfectly paced. I read 281 pages edition, of which 8-10 pages were left blank.
Anyways, the book did hold my interest throughut. I hadn't had many expectations from the book to begin with for his previous book that i read (winter moon ) was a bit letdown. That was slow, not this.
One of
Michelle
Jan 01, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
I love all of Dean Koontz's books, they never fail to entertain and thrill and shock me. But The Vision, even though the plot is good and the imagery is incomparable, seriously disturbed me.

I don't think I would be able to read it again. And it's books like this that really make me wonder how Dean Koontz thinks of these things (the sick, twisted plots that make the novels so hard to put down).
Tara Chevrestt
Dec 13, 2009 Tara Chevrestt rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was one of Koontz's more disturbing. The woman is a psychic who has some issues with her mentally sick brother. Some of the sexual scenes were a bit distasteful, causing the four star rating despite the adrenaline pumping excitement and horror. A quick read too.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Christine (KizzieReads)
Jul 22, 2016 Christine (KizzieReads) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
The story was fast paced. I guessed who the killer was pretty early on, but I never guessed the extent of the story. It was pretty good, but I think the characters could have been a little better developed. Not as scary as expected either, but overall, a good book.
Javed Hayat
Jul 12, 2011 Javed Hayat rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Only If you Enjoy Literary Insults Like Twilight etc...
Without wanting to sound too harsh, Dean Koontz, along with John Saul and couple of others, is one of the worst possible writers I have ever read. Koontz is a classic case of 'right ideas in (extremely) wrong hands'!!!
Denis
Oct 22, 2015 Denis rated it it was ok
Shelves: do-not-own
In short, this book is not very good. Bad actually. Yet, unfortunate, because Koontz was, even back in 1977, a capable writer.
Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 Bandit rated it liked it
One of his first and nastiest works. If you're only familiar with his later work from the recent decade or so, this book will be a shocker.
Jenny
Dec 09, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it
I was probably too young to read this when i did considering what the out come was. I think i was 12 or 13...first book i read from koontz
Sara  G.
Oct 18, 2016 Sara G. rated it really liked it
The mind is extraordinary, especially when people are able to unlock a ability hidden within the depths of their sub-conscious. Dean Koontz's The Vision tells the story of Mary Bergen, a clairvoyant who's good-willed heart has helped the police force in many investigations to rid the world of murderers. That is until her latest act of justice leaves a sinister feeling in her heart. The foreshadowing from her uneasiness leaves one to wonder what could cause such distress in a women who can see ...more
Edward Lorn
Apr 12, 2016 Edward Lorn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of jazz and sleep
Shelves: paperbacks
Koontz-Alert Checklist (Every Dean Koontz book has at least one of the following ten things.)

1. Blond lead/love interest - Nope
2. Dog(s) - Nope (Unless you count the figurines)
3. Government conspiracy - Nope
4. Aliens - Nope
5. Serial Killer - Yup
6. Bougainvillea plant - Yup
7. Sodium-vapor streetlight - Yup
8. Precocious child - Nope
9. Town gone crazy - Nope
10. Psychic(s) - Yup

So four out of ten. Not bad, not bad. And that's my overall judgment of this book. "Not bad." Of course this one gets two p
Johnny
Nov 19, 2010 Johnny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Pablos
Jul 23, 2016 Pablos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
W posłowiu do Wizji Koontz z rozbrajającą szczerością stwierdza, że gdyby stale pisał takie powieści, nigdy nie trafiłby na listy bestsellerów. Ale jednocześnie decyduje się książkę wznowić, bo mimo wszystko uważa ją za rzecz sympatyczną, czytaj: rozrywkę odrobinę mroczną. I jest to doskonałe podsumowanie tej pozycji, faktycznie stworzonej raczej do zabijania czasu w poczekalni u dentysty, albo lektury podczas podróży pociągiem, która z nóg nie zwali, ale wydaje mi się, że ogromna większość ...more
Lauren
Dec 31, 2011 Lauren rated it it was ok
I have read an upwards of 20 Dean Koontz books, and I consider him one of my favorite authors. However, The Vision is not one of his best works. I'm giving The Vision a two star rating because the best word to describe it really is "ok." It's about 350 pages long, but a pretty quick read. (I finished it in about 3 days.) Many of the pages are filled up with character dialogue, so they read very quickly. The characters themselves were interesting and, for the most part, witty (especially Lou and ...more
Athena
Nov 21, 2013 Athena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book wasn't too bad. It had a decent story line with a great description of settings and characters. I thought I had figured out who the killer was within the first quarter of the book and was surprised to find that I was wrong. Although there were disturbing scenes I still felt that this book couldn't really make me feel much. The main character Mary Bergen was whiny, helpless, and needy, and even though she had a rare condition I was just tired of her constantly saying "I don't want to ...more
Briana Peaches
the book i read is the vision by dean koontz. this book to me is a mystery. this book was over 300 pages so it should count for two books. thisbook is about a lady named mary bergens who has
visions of people who is going to get killed. she is good with helping the police stop these killings before they start. when she reaches one perticular case with a certain person her visions get stronger. instead of just seeing them she can now feel them as in she feels the pain that the people who is getti
Bridget
Wow. And ugh. Very exciting, very humorous in parts, but this has to be the sickest villain I've encountered in anything. And yes, I'm caught up on A Song of Ice and Fire, and I know all about Ramsay Bolton.
Kara
Aug 22, 2016 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another superb book by Dean Koontz.

Paranormal events plague this story. With clairvoyants, ouija boards, poltergeists and telekinesis alongside a mysterious murder; this tale is packed with suspense and drama. It's fast pace holds with Koontz stereotypical style although missing some rather common Koontz themes (sorry, no dogs in this story), resulting in a thrilling yet somewhat different story telling by one of America's modern master horror writers.

The story itself centres on a battle between
Joseph Szabo
Nov 30, 2016 Joseph Szabo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Dean Koontz's The Vision is one of the most vile books I've ever read. Normally, this is not the kind of fiction I enjoy but this novel is the exception to my dear tastes.

The book is quite light on prose, so light in fact you could probably read five pages and it would feel like one. But light does not mean bad. Light means, for this book anyway, that Koontz had more control over the story and in those fewer words we discover some of the darkest of images and feel, ACTUALLY FEEL, true terror.

Y
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
  • The Presence

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...