Start by marking “The Vision” as Want to Read:
The Vision

The Vision

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  6,319 ratings  ·  152 reviews
DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES...

He's watching you. He knows what you're doing. He knows what you're thinking. He's coming after you.

DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES...

He has a knife. The steel blade gleams. Whenever you close your eyes, you can see it--the tip of his knife, pointing at your chest.

DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES...

He's closing them for you.

"A master of sheer fright... the tension never
Published March 1st 1986 by Berkley (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vision

Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
47th out of 70 books — 688 voters
Intensity by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzDeadly Thyme by R.L. NolenA House Without Windows by Stevie TurnerWatchers by Dean Koontz
Best Suspense novels
182nd out of 183 books — 358 voters

More lists with this book...

Tiffany Bates
I think this could have been a 4 if I hadn't read such a fast paced novel right before this. Maybe. Going to this book after a fast pace book made it seem very slow at times and I was thinking 'get on with it'. I predicted who the killer was going to be really early on as well, but hoped all the way through that I was going to be wrong and that would make it great for fooling me. But alas it didn't unfortunately. The premise was interesting, and it would still make a good read for anyone looking ...more
Julie Powell
I always like stories by Dean Koontz and this was no exception. It was cleverly psychological and kept me guessing 'whodunit' although I did suspect the killer and I was right.

Well written, great characters, descriptions, suspense and plot.

Recommended read.
Uriah
Mary is a talented clairvoyant who's found her calling in helping police across the country solve cases despite having no leads. Aided and guided by her devoted husband and doting brother, she's led a seemingly simple life. Until her visions change, and a dark, preternatural force seems to enter her life. Where are these visions coming from? Will she be able to solve this new case and find her answers before it's too late for her and those she loves?

Far from one of Koontz's best works, this is s
Suzana Vuksanovic
Somewhat better than the previous book by Koontz that I had finished reading immediately before commencing this one (Voice Of The Night).
The story is about a psychic woman who has "visions" of soon-to-be committed murders and helps the police to catch the perpetrators. She can never prevent the murders in her visions, she can only hope to prevent future homicides by the same person.
She is at the apex of an uncomfortable triangle with her adored and charming brother on one side and her husband of
Martin Maher
`The Vision`is a story about a woman by the name of Mary Bergen who has clairvoyant abilities & uses those abilities to help police officers & detectives in their investigations. When we meet Mary at the start of this story, she`s tracking down a killer, & although she`s done this on many occasions in the past, this time something is different, something that triggers memories of her past, which she has buried since her childhood.

I bought this novel in a local bookshop because I had
Mackenzie Petermeier
A book that I would recommend is The Vision by Dean Koontz. This book is a thriller that keeps your mind going. The Vision is suspenseful and also quite slow in spots and quite predictable, but for the reader who wants a thriller without too much gore this could be a perfect choice. Mary Bergen is the main character, which has a gifted clairvoyant. Her psychic ability and haunting visions to aide the police in solving both past and future crimes, but who must also deal with the stress of not hav ...more
Kaustubh
It was my 4th book by Dean Koontz. Earlier beings 'The Bad Place', 'Winter Moon' and 'Velocity'. A few readers mentioned here that it was a bit slow in spots, but i tend to disagree. In fact, i felt the plot was perfectly paced. I read 281 pages edition, of which 8-10 pages were left blank.
Anyways, the book did hold my interest throughut. I hadn't had many expectations from the book to begin with for his previous book that i read (winter moon ) was a bit letdown. That was slow, not this.
One of
Michelle
I love all of Dean Koontz's books, they never fail to entertain and thrill and shock me. But The Vision, even though the plot is good and the imagery is incomparable, seriously disturbed me.

I don't think I would be able to read it again. And it's books like this that really make me wonder how Dean Koontz thinks of these things (the sick, twisted plots that make the novels so hard to put down).
Tara Chevrestt
This was one of Koontz's more disturbing. The woman is a psychic who has some issues with her mentally sick brother. Some of the sexual scenes were a bit distasteful, causing the four star rating despite the adrenaline pumping excitement and horror. A quick read too.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Javed Hayat
Jul 12, 2011 Javed Hayat rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Only If you Enjoy Literary Insults Like Twilight etc...
Without wanting to sound too harsh, Dean Koontz, along with John Saul and couple of others, is one of the worst possible writers I have ever read. Koontz is a classic case of 'right ideas in (extremely) wrong hands'!!!
Jenny
I was probably too young to read this when i did considering what the out come was. I think i was 12 or 13...first book i read from koontz
Charissa Wilkinson
Overview: Mary has been able to ‘see’ things that are hidden from the majority of the population. But this killer that she is chasing is different from most that she has ever been in contact with before. She feels his victims’ pain. Why? And does it have anything to do with a nightmare from her past.

Likes: This was a fun read. Mr. Koontz uses psychic and other extraordinary phenomena to push the story ahead. HE even describes the homicidal triad.

Dislikes: What did Lou do to deserve such a fate?
Dana
disturbing
Joseph Szabo
Dean Koontz's The Vision is one of the most vile books I've ever read. Normally, this is not the kind of fiction I enjoy but this novel is the exception to my dear tastes.

The book is quite light on prose, so light in fact you could probably read five pages and it would feel like one. But light does not mean bad. Light means, for this book anyway, that Koontz had more control over the story and in those fewer words we discover some of the darkest of images and feel, ACTUALLY FEEL, true terror.

Y
Johnny
Briana Peaches
the book i read is the vision by dean koontz. this book to me is a mystery. this book was over 300 pages so it should count for two books. thisbook is about a lady named mary bergens who has
visions of people who is going to get killed. she is good with helping the police stop these killings before they start. when she reaches one perticular case with a certain person her visions get stronger. instead of just seeing them she can now feel them as in she feels the pain that the people who is getti
Athena
This book wasn't too bad. It had a decent story line with a great description of settings and characters. I thought I had figured out who the killer was within the first quarter of the book and was surprised to find that I was wrong. Although there were disturbing scenes I still felt that this book couldn't really make me feel much. The main character Mary Bergen was whiny, helpless, and needy, and even though she had a rare condition I was just tired of her constantly saying "I don't want to ta ...more
Lauren
I have read an upwards of 20 Dean Koontz books, and I consider him one of my favorite authors. However, The Vision is not one of his best works. I'm giving The Vision a two star rating because the best word to describe it really is "ok." It's about 350 pages long, but a pretty quick read. (I finished it in about 3 days.) Many of the pages are filled up with character dialogue, so they read very quickly. The characters themselves were interesting and, for the most part, witty (especially Lou and ...more
Tonya
The best part of this book is the new Afterward by the author, don't get me wrong, I liked The Vision but it was slightly lacking.

I hadn't realized this was a reprint till after my purchase because I grabbed it on the fly during a lunch hour and didn't register the 'with new afterward' part on the cover but I would have probably picked it up anyway.

The Vision is about a clairvoyant that assists police with solving murders and participates in college studies while writing books and newspaper arti
Kimberly Sexton
I love Koontz writing style, yet this book is a little more grotesque then others. The story is great and is a good read, but there's one point in the book that's hard to read due to the horrendous and violent actions of man. If you have a strong mind and stomach, then this book will be yet another good read by Koontz.
Dany
Lindsey Goddard
Unlike this author's usual effect on me, I failed to connect with the characters or care about them in any way. I guess I finally know what people are talking about when they say Koontz has written a lot of stinkers. I'd never encountered one until now. Not his best stuff, for sure!
Mike
disappointing. I am glad that Dean Koontz has continued writing. However I think I'd be hard pressed to read anything written longer than 12 years ago. This story was much too predictable. I had figured who the antagonist was within the first 46 pages. And even though I knew who the bad guy was, I continued reading just So I could read how Mary got rid of him. I must say I wish that it had a lot more substance to the ending. with all the dialogue that was written through out the 300+ pages and a ...more
James
A bog-standard early effort from Dean Koontz. The identity of the killer is so obvious they should have named the character Bob Killer, and another character Tom Red-Herring. Some really unsubtly info-dumps in the dialogue too.
Linda
I really liked this book. It was really different than his newer way of writing, but it kept you reading to see if you truly had figured out the real killer(I had) and how he was going to wrap up the plot. It would be a good first book for a new reader of Koontz to start with.
Jay
This book is so crazy! In a good way, of course. Dean Koontz does a good job of hiding the killer's identity until the very end, even though he makes you think you know who it is from about the middle and even appears to confirm your suspicions later on. A real page turner. It's the book equivalent of a really good scary movie, and proves once again why Dean Koontz will always be my favorite author. Oh, and also, parts of it are downright diturbing. I would definitely not recommend this book for ...more
Ron King
This was a little slower read for me than most of Koontz's books, but I always enjoy the author's creativity and story so I continued through and by the end I was glad I did!
Disappointeddreamer
Was disappointed. Simple language. 90% of the book was just plain conversations between the characters. The characters themselves were underdeveloped, simple and unreal. I disliked the fact that the main characters shared short names with the letter M. Made me picture them as dolls rather than actual human beings. The book is read fast. I disliked that the killer's motive for killing so many people was simply because he hated everything and everyone. That also felt unfinished.

A give it a star s
Tiffany
Eh, pretty boring actually. I kept skipping words, lines and paragraphs. Just wanted to read the main points on the page or I'd just skim the text. Didn't like it. This is the second Dean Koontz book that I have read that was boring. I hope that changes..
Just one vision went wrong !! 1 7 Jul 04, 2014 11:11PM
Koontzland - Dean...: The Vision (Group Read - March 2014) 11 57 Feb 09, 2014 04:53PM
  • The Face of Fear
  • The Mask
  • Shattered
  • The House of Thunder
  • Icebound
  • Demon Child
  • Invasion (Laser Books, #9)
  • Nevermore
  • Nightmare Journey
  • The Door to December
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Predators
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms