Darkness of the Light

Darkness of the Light (The Hidden Earth Chronicles #1)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Peter David, a creative force in television, and a best-selling author of comics and novels, has created a fantasy world sure to delight his legions of readers.

The Damned World is home to twelve races, each of which has fought the others for survival for generations. What none of them knows is that they are all creatures of Earth, a world of legend. On Earth eleven of the...more
Published July 29th 2008 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2007)

B. Zedan
Jul 20, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who like their mythological beings a little more human
Shelves: tor-downloads
A classic view in sf is that the only things humans have going for themselves are their creativity, cruelty and luck. Everything else is against them. Here, what they have against them are banished creatures from mythology (who'd arrived before in small groups, creating such mythology). Fauns and dragons and cyclops, similar to tales but different than the myth of ages have painted them. Humans have nearly been wiped out, but those dubious qualities, listed above, are still in place.

This is one...more
Chris
I haven't read a lot of PAD outside of comics, but he certainly displays a mastery of the grand myth. In this book he repackages cyclops, vampires, mermaids, minotaurs and dragons and sells them back to us in a delightfully new medieval-futuristic-post-apocalyptic yarn with cosmological implications. A fun read.

My only regret: I should have paid more attention that this was another fantasy book that is #1 in a series.

Minor spoiler: The plot lines (view spoiler)...more
***Dave Hill
(Original review: http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2008/06/...)

Overall: Good
Story: Good
Re-Readability: Good
Characters: Good

Story: This is the first volume of a new fantasy series, “The Hidden Earth,” by Peter David. It’s an ambitious job, as he balances a storyline that spans over eons and includes — even in just the main setting — a cast of several dozen scattered among multiple races and around the world.

The First Wave of the Banished (from another dimension) showed up during the reign of the din...more
R.G.
This book is pretty awesome… there’s multiple stories going on in it but they begin to slowly converge on each other… as people are searching for answers and trying to save their own world… as you get deeper into it you begin to truly discover the truth of this world and there’s a lot of twists and turns that make this an epic adventure… and it’s kind of awesome because it flashes back to explain where some of our myths came from and I like how it ties in different tales but it doesn’t make it p...more
John Kirk
This is a long novel, so you definitely get your money's worth. I initially assumed that it was fantasy, but arguably the premise is more sci-fi; I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of this in a Star Trek novel. Still, the genre doesn't make much difference to the story.

There's a large cast, and the key characters don't all meet each other. Some of the names are familiar from the author's other work, e.g. there's an amphibian called Orin (the same name as Aquaman). The book mentions 12 races, b...more
Garrett
After a slow, rough start, I really got into this book and I am actually planning on reading the next in the series because of the fun plot and likable characters.

I got this as an eBook from Tor, but I am not sure an eBook is a good vehicle for this particular book. At least, not on a Blackberry (where I read all my eBooks). It took me a hundred pages or so to really get into the story enough to know what was going on and who was who and where the story was going. It would have been nice to be a...more
Deb
It's hard to give this book a rating. It was entertaining, amusing, and nearly thought-provoking...but it was also rambling and cliche. Essentially it is a very long set-up for a series of novels. You get the world's backstory, the major characters, and (after more than half the book) an idea of the over-arching plot, all of which could have been done in half the words. As a bonus, you also get a long section of exposition about how human creativity, imagination, desire, and dreams predict the f...more
Eric Juneau
This is an awesome book, but I was intimidated by its length. Although it's quite the doorstop, it's also a sprawling fantasy epic that encompasses multiple storylines and races - human, troll, merpeople, cyclops, vampire, etc. I don't read much high fantasy, but I've been meaning to get into it. I read it because it's by Peter David, who I've been meaning to read more of ever since Tigerheart.

But this story's great because it always keeps you going, and all the storylines are set evenly, with i...more
Ann
Sep 05, 2010 Ann marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I might actually read this in the future when I'm feeling particularly patient; I couldn't get into it at the moment as there were too many disconnected characters and not enough plot development for my thin patience at this time. Normally, character development, plot, and humor are the top three characteristics (mixed in a good proportion) of a fictional book that wins five stars from me. As far as I got into this one, it was heavy on character development, medium on the humor, and extremely li...more
Bradford
I am a big fan of Peter David, so I was pre-supposed to enoy the book. A unique mix of classic elements of horror and fantasy races in a post-apocolyptic world that we are all pretty familiar with. I enjoyed recognizing our world through very different eyes. Peter handled the many multiple storylines well, keeping them intersecting from time to time and making their own progress as well. This is clearly the first of a multi-part storyline, and I look forward to catching further installments.
John
Some very interesting concepts (3 waves of fantastical creatures on "Earth") that for some reason didn't grab me. While David's characterization and dialog were as great as always I was never in the mode of turning the page and desperately wondering what happens next.

I think in large part it was due to too many characters with shifting points of view throughout the book, making it hard to connect to the book or develop any sort of empathy for any of them.
Barbara
A great fantasy adventure on the Damned World (formerly Earth), which has been taken over by the Twelve Races, beings that are the stuff of human legends, with humans an endangered species. It follows several key players, including a rare human, as they strive to change their warring ways, go on an epic quest, free an enslaved people, or plot to defeat their enemies and live in peace, depending on who’s doing the talking at any given time.
MJ
The Damned World (Earth?) and its humans have been overcome by 12 very different alien species that are based on world mythology. This is obviously the first of a series and I'm interested enough to read the next one to see how all the stories will intersect. Lots of detail and a good bit of humor set the scene and the human woman Jepp and her "rescuer" Karsen (furry lower half and cloven hooves)are fun to follow.
Doug
I was a little slow getting into the book, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. Peter David has created an interesting world, populated with new takes on classic fantasy creatures (the Twelve Races), and given each of them believable motivations and recognizable politics. He has also created sympathetic characters in the most unexpected places. I look forward to reading the sequel, The Height of the Depths.
Kim
This book definitely had an extremely slow start. I downloaded it when it was a free download, and at first my thought was a snarky, "You get what you pay for." It definitely picks up towards the end and the last few chapters just flew by. However, the ending raised almost as many questions as it answered, and I am disappointed that Peter David hasn't seemed to want to continue the series.
Roberto
First, the mother of all slow starts, and just as it picks up speed... it ends, expecting you to follow the series.

Dear series authors: the first book of a series HAS to have an ending. If it doesn't, the reader will expect that all the others are the same, and feel cheated.

The middle book of a trilogy CAN be a cliffhanger, but not the freaking first one.
Matt
Dec 11, 2008 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Currently reading as a free ebook from our scifi friends at Tor.com - Found it ok, but more like something I would buy in the airport because I forgot a book than because I wanted it.
Tracey
Not very interesting until you get to the very end, then suddenly full of action and it ends with no real resolution. Very annoying.
Valissa
Quite enjoyable - I haven't read much science fiction lately, this was a great re-introduction.
Tammy
this book was pretty good, i am looking forward to reading the next one.
Lili Tee
Couldn't get in to it
Carisa
Carisa marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Thapelo Sebolai
Thapelo Sebolai marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
  • Reiffen's Choice (Stoneways Trilogy, #1)
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Flash (Archform: Beauty, #2)
  • Soul
  • In the Midnight Hour (Light Warriors, #1)
  • Dogland
  • The Disunited States of America (Crosstime Traffic, #4)
  • Spaceman Blues: A Love Song
  • Touch of Evil (Thrall, #1)
  • Spirit Gate (Crossroads, #1)
  • Lord of the Isles (Lord of the Isles, #1)
  • Orphans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #1)
  • Sun of Suns (Virga, #1)
  • Crystal Rain (Xenowealth, #1)
  • The Buried Pyramid
  • Four and Twenty Blackbirds (Eden Moore, #1)
  • Starfish (Rifters, #1)
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to humo...more
More about Peter David...
The Dark Tower, Volume 1: The Gunslinger Born Imzadi (Star Trek the Next Generation) Q-Squared Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18) X-Factor: The Longest Night