Start by marking “Passionate Journey” as Want to Read:
Passionate Journey
Preview

Passionate Journey

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Produced in 1919, Passionate Journey uses Masereel's simple and precise woodcuts to present a story of one man's life and loves in post-World War I Berlin.
Published January 1st 2001 by City Lights Publishers (first published January 1st 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Passionate Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passionate Journey

Jan
Jul 30, 2008 Jan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jan by: I found it at the Nelson-Atkins Bookstore.
Breathtaking book, but I strongly encourage you to go back in time as you read it.

Consider yourself part of this same, crazy, beautiful world minus instant messages, vicarious living through films and radio (truly some of my favorite things in life); just open up and enjoy someone else's adventures. My favorite version of this book is the one with Thomas Mann's preface. Simply, this whole story is told with woodcuts, and you - the reader- can create the words. My own words for this story surpris
Erik
A series of woodcuts telling a story of mostly everyday encounters. The through line, if there was one, was sometimes hard to follow. Maybe I just read it to fast. The bold lines of the woodcuts look great, and some of the images, especially the more abstract ones, are quite beautiful. Didn't really work for me as a cohesive whole though.
Rich Meyer
This is a book that will take you days to really read. Beyond the introduction by Thomas Mann, it will take you about ten minutes to look at the 165 woodcuts that tell the story. Then you will go back to the start and re-scan the whole story. And again. And again.

The intricacy of Masereel's woodcuts aren't apparent at first, but as you go on in the story and as you re-read the book, the raw emotion and verve of the main (and really only) character in the narrative will grad you and pull you int
Morgan
Jun 16, 2009 Morgan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every person on the earth
Reading Frans Masereel is like being the projectionist of a portable silent film. In his introduction, Thomas Mann instructs the reader to "Darken the room!" for a close cinematographic experience with this work. I say stick it in your pocket and read it on the subway. Suddenly you'll be interrupted by the arrival of your stop. You'll shut the book, hop off the train and head for the exit, and guess what—the book is still going on, fully seeping into your reality, only now you are the main chara ...more
Sue Park
Jun 03, 2007 Sue Park is currently reading it
I'm reading this book in several ways: as a collection of archetypes, a skeletal storyboard for a movie, a visual outline for a conventional (prose) novel, and an exercise in characterization and dialogue (subtitles provided by me, of course). None of this is necessary. I already read the book for what it is, had about an hour of enjoyment with it, and a week later I still can't get some of the images out of my head. Now I'm just trying to a) flush out all the small moments/developments between ...more
Diane
Transcendent. A wordless book for the Seeker.
Curses
I feel like there's something here that I'm not picking up on, something that elevates it to the masterpiece most people hold it to be. It's certainly interesting, poring over each panel looking for new images to resolve from the lines, projecting your own motives & dialogue onto the Whovian protagonist, etc. I just feel like something's wrong with me for not finding it utterly revelatory. Maybe another read through wills help.
Dave Cohoe
Awesome story - not your father's woodcuts! Masereel tells an enthralling, some would say subversive tale, in these simple woodcuts. At least they *appear* simple at first, but further examination reveals amazing detail I would've never thought possible. A must read for any graphic artist or comic fan.
Mark Kaplan
This woodcut journey through a life of discovered passion is one of the most profound books I have ever "read." While there are no written words, the images tell a simple yet complex, deeply moving story that is resonant on so many levels.
Aaron
One of the first graphic novels ever by a cartoonist/woodcut fine artist. The pictures are amazing!

SmarterLilac
The most abstract and least intelligible of the three woodcut novels I've read this year.
Ardem
A novel that requires reading and rereading...
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Maria Cunningham-Benn
Maria Cunningham-Benn marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Zachary Johnson
Zachary Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Known Unknown
Known Unknown marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Kenys
Kenys marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Crystal Beaman
Crystal Beaman marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Mohammed Hamdy
Mohammed Hamdy marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Ninja
  • Bauhaus
  • Come Over, Come Over
  • Powr Mastrs 1
  • Shoes: A Celebration of Pumps, Sandals, Slippers & More
  • The Quilts of Gee's Bend: Masterpieces from a Lost Place
  • The Dada Painters and Poets: An Anthology (Paperbacks in Art History)
  • Duchamp
  • Audrey: A Life in Pictures
  • Bomb the Suburbs: Graffiti, Race, Freight-Hopping and the Search for Hip Hop's Moral Center
  • Gods' Man
  • Age of Bronze Volume 1: A Thousand Ships
  • Binky Brown Meets the Holy Virgin Mary
  • Graphic Witness: Four Wordless Graphic Novels
  • Hand Job: A Catalog of Type
  • The Jew of New York
  • Dancing with Cats
  • Florence Broadhurst: Her Secret & Extraordinary Lives
The City Three Graphic Novels: The Sun / The Idea / Story Without Words The Sun The Idea & Story Without Words Landscapes and Voices