Start by marking “French Women Don't Sleep Alone: Pleasurable Secrets to Finding Love” as Want to Read:
French Women Don't Sleep Alone: Pleasurable Secrets to Finding Love

French Women Don't Sleep Alone: Pleasurable Secrets to Finding Love

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Did you know that French women don't date? American women have been missing out on a few secrets when it comes to the opposite sex. French women believe that the gift for attracting men has nothing to do with beauty, work, or even motivation. There are no Rules. And they don't listen to Dr. Phil's advice. They don't worry about the care and feeding of their boyfriend. And ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Citadel

To ask other readers questions about French Women Don't Sleep Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about French Women Don't Sleep Alone

Les Misérables by Victor HugoA Moveable Feast by Ernest HemingwayA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensMy Life in France by Julia ChildThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Books About Paris
348th out of 434 books — 410 voters
Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela DruckermanFrench Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille GuilianoFrench Twist by Catherine CrawfordFrench Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le BillonMy Life in France by Julia Child
The French Are Better Than Us
9th out of 10 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Tiffany
French women don't date--they dine with mixed group of friends. They maintain "secret gardens" and wear boots with skirts, and know the correct ratio of bra-to-underwear. People keep reviewing this book like it's supposed to be a manual of orthodoxy whereas I'm pretty sure the author meant it as a light, enjoyable read. So just get down and enjoy it people, I mean really really really enjoy.

Here's a few extra items I learned in my twenties when I lived in Paris:

1) A ring on your fourth finger is
Sarah Brown towles
Light and easy, makes you feel good about yourself
Erin
This book is very fun and light, and inspires confidence. Simple tips on how to enjoy your life and bask in your own allure, as well as some delicious sounding recipes. It's a great read, especially as a palate-cleanser if you have perhaps been reading back-to-back books about suffering in Africa.
Jane Baker
I read this really to just understand French women better. I really enjoyed reading this. It made me feel really good about being a women and just looking good and taking care of yourself for you.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
It's a quick read, surprising since the subject matter is one of the most inscrutable in the entire world. What IS it about french women. It seems to be 2 parts this and 3 parts that, and totally unreproducible. The book touches on all sorts of things, and in a kaleidoscopic mirror way may give a reflection of an idea of a french woman may sort of resemble. But that's just it, if you could ultimately define it, the mystery would be gone. What the book does say over and over again (and which i ag ...more
Marta
I'm not in mood for a long and deep review so quick summery:

First I didn't really like it, I only read how perfect, and intelligent, and seductive French women are, with no exceptions…and how all men fall for them. Good so far, but what disturbed me was that the behaviour described in the book was related (only)to French people, and though the advices were good but in a different country some of the advices would be useless. French have a pretty unique mentality so it's difficult to be like a Fr
Kate
I did not like this book, at first. The first few chapters were slow and did not hook me at all, but I kept going. I do get annoyed when authors directly mention other books in their genre as this author did. It just bothers me! I'm reading *your* book, not theirs, I'm getting to their *later* so tell me what *you* have to say! The cooking section, with recipes, felt silly to me. There was a point to be made for sure, but I did not enjoy how it was done.
However! This book, in the end, is so wond
Mehmet Kır
Jamie Cat Callan used very plain language in this book. This situation is a big advantage point of the book. The book starts with one French sentence: "Le mystére de la femme française c'est que son homme sait qu'il peut la perdre à tout moment".
Tips that are given by the author about relationship made it enjoyable.And then, the author make a comprasion between French women and American women. Also, she shows the expertise of French women about relationship than American women in the book. Good
Mary
Oh, dear... why did they have to follow the French women theme?? This book has absolutely nothing to do with French women, but more about what a self-assured, confident, and composed woman would do in her own life. The recipes are ridiculous! If you want French cooking, get yourself acquainted with Julia Child. And the vocabulary is kind of ridiculous in places. Coterie? "Marriage a la Mode"?? Thank heavens I can return this to the library...
Victoria H.

I love this book. It's a wonderful pool/ocean-side read because it inserted a healthy dose of self love into me. And what girl doesn't deserve that? Good positive read!
Kim
A quick and easy read, with surprisingly specific information about what French women presumably "do differently" than American women. I found the ideas intriguing.
Denise
Interesting read on the culture of France from a woman's perspective.
Alicia Davis
Great little quick read and funny too.
Sophia
This book is French Women Don't Get Fat for love and romance -- down to recipes for amorous meals. Descended from a French grandmother, Jamie Cat Callan and a friend interview French men and women (as well as some French-American expats) to delineate the feminine wiles des Francaises which she glimsped growing up.

While some of the advice is intuitive -- cultivate self-confidence, maintain your own group of friends and independence -- it does sound better under the wrappings of being French and
Bloodorange
This is a very quick (and unsubstantial) read, and it's really hard for me to imagine its target audience. While the author repeats , that in France "women of certain age" are still found attractive, and I can recall no tips or assertions considering young women exlusively, the ideas in the book (apart from two sections, on which later) are really basic, and exactly what I recall from teen mags when I was still young and promising;)

Main premises are as follows:

1. French women have their feminine
BooksAndTea
Overall a disappointment. I thought this book would be more about romance in the general sense, rather than a dating types sort of ideal, but unfortunately not. Some of the observations and comparisons between the relationships men and women have in France vs. the US were interesting, but I wonder how much is stereotype and how much is legitimate. Perhaps it's best to take it all with a grain of salt, but some of the tips really aren't bad.

For instance, she talks about how men and women don't re
Vira
Such a cute and light book to read! Loved the author's point of view on French women, I have exactly the same and this is why it was so pleasant for me to read it! Moreover, it has so many good ideas in it and I bet, I became more feminine after reading it. In our world of equality women should stay feminine, I am sure ☺️
Sheridan
This book really just reminds you how wonderful it is to be a woman. How soft, and pretty, and funny, and fun we can be if we let ourselves. Wonderful! The title is misleading because I didn't read it to find love. I am not looking! I read a review of the book and it seemed like it would be fun. And it was! I learned some good lessons. I shall apply quite a few of her suggestions - and was chuffed to realise that I already do do lots of these things :)
Iris Jensen
It was a book, with gave a lot of tips without being boring.
I recommend this book for all!
Mary Alexandra
The thing I liked and learned most from this book is that American women believe on wearing sexy lingerie, good perfume, and etc only on special occasions. Whereas the French women believe every day, every moment is a special occasion. And so why don't we deserve to wear sexy lingerie and good perfume every day? So I've taken the hint and have done so, and now I feel even more beautiful and confident! I suggest in everybody else doing so, and this way we can live life to it's fullest.
Irene
The author's periodic need to say certain words or phrases in French drove me insane. Why is it necessary to say in French, "jardin secret" while using words like lingerie and coterie as if they were English words??!!! It drove me mad!

The only good thing this book did was provide examples things women can do to give themselves some self-love (good hair, a good piece of clothing, soft skin), that bolster self-esteem/confidence. That's about it.
Ginger
Not the greatest self-help book--my friend has a theory that it was really authored by Juanita Nonuttin, but very charming, entertaining fluff read. Extra star for helping me justify my shopping habit: I'm not frivolous with money; I'm just passionate on spending it on things I love to pamper myself like any good French woman does.
Lauri
As an avid francophile, I generally enjoy books like this that dig into an aspect of French culture or living. However, I felt there was really nothing new in this book and although it was relatively short, there was a lot of repetition within its 200 pages.
Julia Craig-muller
My mom gave it to me. Fun to read. My husband picked it up and read it when there wasn't a lot else for him to read, and enjoyed it, too! At our last outing with friends, he tried to mix up the couples! It didn't work too well, though, here in the Midwest
Sara
It was fun, light-reading. However, the material here was enough for a single magazine article but was stretched out into a whole book. So of course there was a lot of repetition- space filler, it seemed.
Sharon
It was a decent read. Some information was insightful while other parts were extremely stereotypical and I feel would make French women upset. Still worth the read for the good parts.
Hannah Vaughn
I love this book. It offers every woman the chance to stop being so uptight and demanding love on the first few dates. I enjoyed this book as it proves just how fun being a woman can be.
Olga
The book is rather trashy, but it sort of confirmed what I think about women and men in America and shed some new light on my personal impression and experience...
Susan
I am interested in the lifelstyle of french women, so this was a good read. cute how the author states that french women always match thier underwear and bras.
Sin
just to have fun. easy to read even in a plane that take 11-hours travel. it'd be better if the writer could give the real examples from her grandmother.
  • All You Need to Be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women
  • Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide To Finding Her Inner French Girl
  • Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living
  • French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, and Pleasure
  • Stuff Parisians Like: Discovering the Quoi in the Je Ne Sais Quoi
  • Simply Irresistible: Unleash Your Inner Siren and Mesmerize Any Man, with Help from the Most Famous - and Infamous - Women in History
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • Classy: Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • The Gospel According to Coco Chanel: Life Lessons from the World's Most Elegant Woman
  • The Color of Style
  • The Southern Belle's Handbook: Sissy LeBlanc's Rules to Live by
  • The Joy of Doing Things Badly: A Girl's Guide to Love, Life and Foolish Bravery
  • How to Have Style
  • How to Be a Lady: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy
  • Beauty Confidential: The No Preaching, No Lies, Advice-You'll- Actually-Use Guide to Looking Your Best
Jamie Cat Callan is the author of "Bonjour, Happiness!" and the wildly successful "French Women Don't Sleep Alone." Inspired by her beautiful and elegant French grandmother, Jamie has traveled all over France, interviewing hundreds of women to uncover their secrets to simple, authentic pleasures, including how to stay stylish at any age, how to enjoy more with less and how we too can find our joie ...more
More about Jamie Cat Callan...
Bonjour, Happiness! Ooh La La!  French Women's Secrets to Feeling Beautiful Every Day The Writer's Toolbox: Creative Games and Exercises for Inspiring the 'Write' Side of Your   Brain