Start by marking “Wind from the Carolinas” as Want to Read:
Wind from the Carolinas

Wind from the Carolinas

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Book by Wilder, Robert
Published December 31st 1997 by Media Publishing (A Division of Media Enterprises (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Wind from the Carolinas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wind from the Carolinas

Bill Parks
This one has been in my family since its first printing in 1964. I read it when I was 20and just now again in my 50s. It's even better the second time with the years of experience under my belt. I love the Bahamas, have spent much of my life going there but still understand it better by reading this book again. It is without a doubt a one of the great books in my experience. What a miniseries it would make! Absolutely a must read.
Judy-Lee
From the Carolinas to Exuma, Bahamas .. what a wonderful book. I've read this one several times and hold it for my old-age and rocking chair days. And you can smell the jasmine across the sea on a calm day. Love this book.
Sandy
Dec 27, 2011 Sandy marked it as to-read
Read this when I was 14 and have tried to find it since, unsuccesfully. Look forward to reading it again.
Linda P
So completely enjoyed it ....again..first read back in the sixties...wish it was a movie!
Anna
Oh Juanio! What a dream.
Donna Shelton
I've read this book many times, the first when I was probably about 12 or 13. My mother had received this book as a selection in a book club she belonged to years ago. I fell in love with the story the first time I read it, and re-read it many times over my teenage and young adult years. My mother passed away in 1997, and this book, along with others, were given away or donated. I recently found a first edition online and ordered it, and it was so comforting to re-read after decades a book I had ...more
Robin
Since I recently spent a week in Exuma, Bahamas, I was told to read this historical fiction book to help with better understanding the island and it's people.

It spans over 100 years and follows a family from a southern plantation in Charleston who were British loyalists and relocate to Exuma for a better way of life. Their triumphs and endless struggles make this book an unforgettable journey.

Although historical fiction (of which I learned a tremendous amount), it reads like classic fiction I wo
Jann
This historical novel begins just after the Revolutionary War in Charleston and chronicles a plantation owner who, disgusted with the "new colonies", decides to move his entire cotton plantation (slaves and livestock included) to the outer Bahama islands for a better life. It follows the ups and downs of the family for 100 years with an interesting twist at the very end. Extremely interesting and informative. I just love it when I'm entertained and educated at the same time!
Jeroen
Read this one in 1987 while crossing the atlantic on a yacht. I started reading it because it was the last book on the boat i hadn't read yet. It was a flemish translation titled "love on the Bahamas" not something a 19 year old guy is going for ! But i actually liked it, it reminded me of some james clavell style stories. I'm going to read it again someday.
Joan
I saw this book in the Bahamas. It is written as the story of Loyalists plantation owners, and others, leaving the US south to colonize the Bahamas with their slaves. The land is disappointing but politics creates opportunities and lawless employment, continuing from the privateer history into gun running and rumrunning. Large panoramic histories like this and Michener's get tiring to me because the characters of each generation are developed sparingly.
Julie Cannon
Jan 20, 2014 Julie Cannon marked it as to-read
Mom said this was book she was reading when she was pregnant with John.
Kathy
Borrowed this from Emma. I really enjoyed it. It was a long book following several generations of a family who left South Carolina after the civil war and settled in the Bahamas. I found the details of their life on the island interesting as well as the evolution of family members over the generations.
Michele
I loved this when I read it in my twenties. It wasn't quite as magical this time around. Like many fat family sagas, the book can't be big enough to tell us all we want to know about the lives of so many characters, alas.
Alice
"Don't judge a book by its cover!" I was given this book and ignored it because the cover was so poorly done. Not the case for the book. Excellant historical novel about the Bahamas starting the the late 1700.
Dad
This is a great yarn, well written, adventurous and spellbinding. It's a good story for insight into post revolutionary war America. Check out other books by Wilder he's a great swashbuckling storyteller.
Mary
Saga about a family that left the Carolinas after 1776 for English ruled Bahamas. Really interesting history of Bahamas. Liked this one.
Lori
Enjoyed the tale. I enjoyed going thru the generations and how they were different, but yet alike in so many ways. I liked the history of the Bahamas and how it evolved. A good read.
Erin
This book is one of those that made such an indelible impression on me when I first read it in high school. I have recently come back to it, and I can't recommend it enough.
Jon Schneiderman
One of my favorite books of all time. I lived in the Bahamas for eight years and this book greatly contributed to my knowledge of the local history and culture.
John Howell
Read this while we were cruising in the Abacos - perfect! A great way to understand the history of why many things are the way they are in the Bahamas.
Charles E.
By far the best book I have ever read. Would recomend to anyone. Transends genres, something for everyone. Will do a more detailed review at a later date.
Linda
I read this book several years ago and then a second time. I really love the Outer banks and this really took you to this magical place
Terry G.
Read this book years ago and it has stayed with me as one of my favorites through the years. Wonderful story, great characters.
Jobie
I've dedicated hours to this book. Read roughly 400 pages, and I think it's only the 2nd book I've not been able to finish.
Diabardo
again, one of my favorite books. a great historical-fiction book about the evolution of the bahamas.
Marjoladue
I really enjoyed it: sort of a history of the Bahamas though a novel
Sharon Kersten
Ideal reading for a visit to the Bahamas!
Leslie
My nightly date with Colonial America.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Don't Stop the Carnival
  • Ninety-two in the Shade
  • Pedagogies of Crossing: Meditations on Feminism, Sexual Politics, Memory, and the Sacred
  • Into the Bermuda Triangle: Pursuing the Truth Behind the World's Greatest Mystery
  • Red Sky at Night (Thorn, #6)
  • Keller in Dallas
  • The Lead Cloak
  • Smoked
  • Hawk Channel Chase
  • Die Another Day (Raymond Benson's Bond, #6.5)
  • Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay
  • The Man from Barbarossa (John Gardner's Bond, #11)
  • Death Wish
  • As Flies to Whatless Boys
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
Robert Ingersoll Wilder was a novelist, playwright and screenwriter. Wilder's childhood was spent at Daytona Beach, Florida. Following a stint in the United States Army during World War I, he was educated at Stetson University and Columbia University. At various times in his life, Mr. Wilder was a soda jerk, a ship fitter, a theater usher, a shipping clerk, a newspaper copy boy, a publicity agent, ...more
More about Robert Wilder...
Daddy Needs a Drink: An Irreverent Look at Parenting from a Dad Who Truly Loves His Kids—Even When They're Driving Him Nuts Flamingo Road Fruit of the Poppy An Affair Of Honour Tales from the Teachers' Lounge: What I Learned in School the Second Time Around—One Man's Irreverent Look at Being a Teacher Today