Start by marking “Wind from the Carolinas” as Want to Read:
Wind from the Carolinas

Wind from the Carolinas

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  203 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Book by Wilder, Robert
Published December 31st 1997 by Media Publishing (A Division of Media Enterprises (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Wind from the Carolinas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wind from the Carolinas

Bill Parks
This one has been in my family since its first printing in 1964. I read it when I was 20and just now again in my 50s. It's even better the second time with the years of experience under my belt. I love the Bahamas, have spent much of my life going there but still understand it better by reading this book again. It is without a doubt a one of the great books in my experience. What a miniseries it would make! Absolutely a must read.
Judy-Lee
Aug 29, 2008 Judy-Lee rated it it was amazing
From the Carolinas to Exuma, Bahamas .. what a wonderful book. I've read this one several times and hold it for my old-age and rocking chair days. And you can smell the jasmine across the sea on a calm day. Love this book.
Denise
Jan 13, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it
This is a great big old fashioned epic, telling a family history that stretches from the Revolutionary War to WWl and from Charleston South Carolina to the Bahamas and back. I loved it.

The language was enchanting, slow paced and with lots of words that you don't see much any more. I had to look up tatteredermalion, threnody, jalousie, taboret, chary, and barracoon in the first 100 pages!

This book has a fatal flaw though, racism. There is no outward hate or violence, but black people are portray
Joan
Sep 15, 2011 Joan rated it liked it
I saw this book in the Bahamas. It is written as the story of Loyalists plantation owners, and others, leaving the US south to colonize the Bahamas with their slaves. The land is disappointing but politics creates opportunities and lawless employment, continuing from the privateer history into gun running and rumrunning. Large panoramic histories like this and Michener's get tiring to me because the characters of each generation are developed sparingly.
Sandy
Dec 27, 2011 Sandy marked it as to-read
Read this when I was 14 and have tried to find it since, unsuccesfully. Look forward to reading it again.
Linda P
Feb 27, 2014 Linda P rated it it was amazing
So completely enjoyed it ....again..first read back in the sixties...wish it was a movie!
Kelly Campbell
Mar 30, 2016 Kelly Campbell rated it really liked it
Read this while sailing around the Bahamas and couldn't have enjoyed it more, especially in the very same spectacular waters in which the book is set. A beautiful and moving story of the courageous Cameron family that also tells the incredible history of the islands and what was occurring in the US at that time. The author of this wonderful book deserved a far better editing job - there are misspellings and missing words on literally every single page - but even the phenomenal amount of typos co ...more
Anna
Nov 17, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing
Oh Juanio! What a dream.
Donna Shelton
Jun 22, 2014 Donna Shelton rated it it was amazing
I've read this book many times, the first when I was probably about 12 or 13. My mother had received this book as a selection in a book club she belonged to years ago. I fell in love with the story the first time I read it, and re-read it many times over my teenage and young adult years. My mother passed away in 1997, and this book, along with others, were given away or donated. I recently found a first edition online and ordered it, and it was so comforting to re-read after decades a book I had ...more
Kate
Mar 24, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
I enjoyed the historical aspects of this book and it was interesting to follow the same family throughout generations. I did get bogged down in some of Wilder's descriptions. It felt wordy to me sometimes, like he was restating the obvious. But it was different than a lot of books I've read lately.
Robin
Sep 12, 2012 Robin rated it it was amazing
Since I recently spent a week in Exuma, Bahamas, I was told to read this historical fiction book to help with better understanding the island and it's people.

It spans over 100 years and follows a family from a southern plantation in Charleston who were British loyalists and relocate to Exuma for a better way of life. Their triumphs and endless struggles make this book an unforgettable journey.

Although historical fiction (of which I learned a tremendous amount), it reads like classic fiction I wo
Steve Aldridge
Feb 16, 2015 Steve Aldridge rated it it was amazing
An intriguing blend of history and fiction.
Margaret
Apr 03, 2016 Margaret rated it really liked it
A historical novel that follows several generations of a British Loyalist family from Charleston, SC, immediately following the American Revolution. England offered land in the Bahamas so they packed up the plantation and shipped it to the islands where it failed spectacularly. I enjoyed and used the new knowledge as I sailed to many islands including 5 weeks at Great Exuma where the story takes place. Unfortunately, it’s out of print and not available in ebooks. I luckily got a copy from a fell ...more
Dolores Bowser
Very good
Jann
Oct 24, 2012 Jann rated it it was amazing
This historical novel begins just after the Revolutionary War in Charleston and chronicles a plantation owner who, disgusted with the "new colonies", decides to move his entire cotton plantation (slaves and livestock included) to the outer Bahama islands for a better life. It follows the ups and downs of the family for 100 years with an interesting twist at the very end. Extremely interesting and informative. I just love it when I'm entertained and educated at the same time!
Jeroen
Dec 29, 2013 Jeroen rated it liked it
Read this one in 1987 while crossing the atlantic on a yacht. I started reading it because it was the last book on the boat i hadn't read yet. It was a flemish translation titled "love on the Bahamas" not something a 19 year old guy is going for ! But i actually liked it, it reminded me of some james clavell style stories. I'm going to read it again someday.
Julie Cannon
Jan 20, 2014 Julie Cannon marked it as to-read
Mom said this was book she was reading when she was pregnant with John.
Kathy
May 09, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
Borrowed this from Emma. I really enjoyed it. It was a long book following several generations of a family who left South Carolina after the civil war and settled in the Bahamas. I found the details of their life on the island interesting as well as the evolution of family members over the generations.
Marilyn Allen
Aug 30, 2015 Marilyn Allen rated it it was amazing
This book really took me away. I highly recommend it whether you love the Caribbean or not. It's a beautiful story and I miss the characters. The only drawback was the number of typos. I get a little hung up if a word is misspelled and this book had plenty.
Michele
Jul 12, 2011 Michele rated it really liked it
I loved this when I read it in my twenties. It wasn't quite as magical this time around. Like many fat family sagas, the book can't be big enough to tell us all we want to know about the lives of so many characters, alas.
Alice
Jun 28, 2009 Alice rated it it was amazing
"Don't judge a book by its cover!" I was given this book and ignored it because the cover was so poorly done. Not the case for the book. Excellant historical novel about the Bahamas starting the the late 1700.
Dad
Jan 31, 2008 Dad rated it it was amazing
This is a great yarn, well written, adventurous and spellbinding. It's a good story for insight into post revolutionary war America. Check out other books by Wilder he's a great swashbuckling storyteller.
Mary
Feb 21, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Saga about a family that left the Carolinas after 1776 for English ruled Bahamas. Really interesting history of Bahamas. Liked this one.
Lori
Aug 28, 2008 Lori rated it liked it
Enjoyed the tale. I enjoyed going thru the generations and how they were different, but yet alike in so many ways. I liked the history of the Bahamas and how it evolved. A good read.
Erin
Dec 27, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
This book is one of those that made such an indelible impression on me when I first read it in high school. I have recently come back to it, and I can't recommend it enough.
Jon Schneiderman
Jul 12, 2013 Jon Schneiderman rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time. I lived in the Bahamas for eight years and this book greatly contributed to my knowledge of the local history and culture.
John Howell
Jul 01, 2009 John Howell rated it really liked it
Read this while we were cruising in the Abacos - perfect! A great way to understand the history of why many things are the way they are in the Bahamas.
Charles E.
Jan 09, 2008 Charles E. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
By far the best book I have ever read. Would recomend to anyone. Transends genres, something for everyone. Will do a more detailed review at a later date.
Linda
Nov 20, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
I read this book several years ago and then a second time. I really love the Outer banks and this really took you to this magical place
Terry G.
Aug 23, 2011 Terry G. rated it it was amazing
Read this book years ago and it has stayed with me as one of my favorites through the years. Wonderful story, great characters.
  • With Hemingway: A Year in Key West and Cuba
  • Don't Stop the Carnival
  • Barbarian Virtues: The United States Encounters Foreign Peoples at Home and Abroad, 1876-1917
  • Into the Bermuda Triangle: Pursuing the Truth Behind the World's Greatest Mystery
  • Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay
  • Pedagogies of Crossing: Meditations on Feminism, Sexual Politics, Memory, and the Sacred
  • Empire's Crossroads: A History of the Caribbean from Columbus to the Present Day
  • Guerra del tiempo y otros relatos
  • Selected Poems
  • Ninety-two in the Shade
  • The Lunatic
  • As Flies to Whatless Boys
  • Tropic Death
  • Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair
  • Deceived (Hannah Smith, #2)
  • Folly
  • The Curve of Time
  • Lost Mission
Robert Ingersoll Wilder was a novelist, playwright and screenwriter. Wilder's childhood was spent at Daytona Beach, Florida. Following a stint in the United States Army during World War I, he was educated at Stetson University and Columbia University. At various times in his life, Mr. Wilder was a soda jerk, a ship fitter, a theater usher, a shipping clerk, a newspaper copy boy, a publicity agent, ...more
More about Robert Wilder...