Start by marking “The Wailing Wind (Leaphorn & Chee, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Wailing Wind (Leaphorn  & Chee, #15)

The Wailing Wind (Leaphorn & Chee #15)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  5,084 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews

Officer Bernadette Manuelito found the dead man slumped over in the cab of a blue pickup abandoned in a dry gulch off a dirt road--with a rich ex-con's phone number in his pocket ... and a tobacco tin nearly filled with tracer gold. It's her initial mishandling of the scene that spell trouble for her supervisor, Sgt. Jim Chee of the Navajo Tribal Police--but it's the echoe

Published March 25th 2003 by HarperTorch (first published May 7th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Wailing Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wailing Wind

Carmen
Mar 28, 2016 Carmen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
Anyway, who wants to live forever.

This was a really good book.

Bernie finds a dead body in a truck. Due to her Navajo upbringing teaching her corpse aversion, she doesn't move the body and discover it's been shot in the back.

She's in a lot of trouble with the FBI for fucking up, but her boss whom she has a crush on, Jim Chee, calls up his old boss Joe Leaphorn, and they do their best to get her out of trouble. Chee busting his ass to protect Bernie is SO ADORABLE. But of course, Jim Chee is shit
Stephanie Swint
Oct 12, 2015 Stephanie Swint rated it really liked it
Deputy Bernadette Manuelito of the Navajo Tribal Police gets called out on a last-minute call to check out an abandoned car. She arrives at the scene to find what looks like a man sleeping off a night of drinking. The dead man, however, doesn’t rouse. Everything points to natural causes, there is no obvious cause of death, and she didn’t look hard at the scene until the gun shot was found by the EMT. The murder of this man, Doherty, and an old case Joe Leaphorn worked years ago seem to be relate ...more
Carol.
Jan 09, 2011 Carol. rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, male-lead
Three and a half stars. One of his better mysteries. Enjoyable descriptions as is normal for him.
Russ
Apr 10, 2009 Russ rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio version and I was just enthralled. I never expected to enjoy a mystery so much, as I haven't been into mysteries since I was much younger.
I especially enjoyed the interplay of Navajo culture throughout the novel and how it was essential to the plotline, even from the initial scene when a Navajo police officer does not fully examine a dead body because of Navajo taboos about death.
The characters are quite believable and strangely likable, especially retired police officer
Shannon
Aug 24, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Another good story with a nice twist at the end. Well, nice for the reader, not the characters. Janet Pete is finally gone (or at least she's down to a mention or two...thank you) and the introduction of Bernadette is interesting. I hate that Chee is such a goober about women sometimes. I also find Leaphorn and Bourbonette's relationship interesting and fresh. Seems every story I read anymore involves at least 2 characters falling into bed, it's nice to see a real adult relationship! This story ...more
Betty
Nov 10, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
This book features Joe Leaphorn, Jim Chee and Bernie Manuelito as they worked the same cases from different aspects.. As usual these are blessed together to make one story. Joe is asked to locate a woman who has been missing for a number of years. Jim is "helping" FBI with MURDER on the reservation that Bernie didn't handle correctly and the FBI is making her the "scapegoat". Jim Chee is determined to prevent this happening. Bernie to correct her error uses the plant seed on the victim clothes t ...more
David Bryant
Sep 05, 2015 David Bryant rated it it was amazing
One of the later books in Hillerman's series of crime novels set in the Navajo Reservation in Arizona and New Mexico, with regular characters Joe Leaphorn (now retired, no longer the "legendary lieutenant") and Sgt. Jim Chee. I was surprised to discover I had not previously read this, or at least did not remember it, and so particularly enjoyed it. (I have been re-reading some of them, after a gap of 10 years or more since reading one.)
This one is concise (only 230 pages), considerably involved
Richard Jr.
Nov 03, 2013 Richard Jr. rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Promise me not to read the last chapter in this mystery until you finish the rest of the book.

It’s a good one.

I love Hillerman’s trio of retired Officer Leaphorn, Lt. Jim Chee and beautiful Officer Berni Maunuelito who wend their way through Navajo cultural parables, taboos and medicine men to solve another murder on the reservation.

Will Lt. Chee finally get off his behind and propose to the lady who adores him? Will Leaphorn once again cross the line of legality to fiddle the evidence of the
Rusty
Nov 21, 2012 Rusty rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Tony Hillerman has created interesting and complex characters that I enjoy following in his novels. When Bernadette Manuelito finds a dead man in a pickup in a dry gulch she assumes he died of a heart attack. Because of her inexperience as a new policeman she misses the real cause of death. As a result she doubts her ability in police work and so do others. However, her boss, Sgt. Jim Chee, believes in her. The problem is that he is also attracted to this young woman and finds it difficult to se ...more
Dave Hogg
Jan 24, 2012 Dave Hogg rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This and Hunting Badger are both from Tony Hillerman's series of mysteries starring Navajo Nation policemen Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee.

I've read other books in the series - my dad loved them - but I picked up these two after our Christmas trip to Arizona. As part of our Boxing Day tour of the Grand Canyon, we drove through the northern Arizona portion of the Navajo reservation, and I saw the landscape that I had read about in the other books.

That added a great deal of enjoyment to these two books
Judy
Nov 01, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite parts of a Tony Hillerman novel are the information he gives about Navajo culture and beliefs and his descriptions of the landscape and climate of the Southwest. And he tells a really good story to boot. This is his 15th novel in the Leaphorn/Chee series. Lt. Joe Leaphorn is retired from the Navajo Tribal Police, but he is still interested in old cases that he could never get out of his mind. One of these involved the "Golden Calf" gold mine that resulted in either a murder or a kill ...more
V-ann Davis
Feb 25, 2014 V-ann Davis rated it really liked it
I found this at a thrift store and since I love all things Native American AND all things Hillerman I couldn't help buy buy it.
I was NOT disappointed.
This book had you in the story from the first few pages and doesn't let you go till the last page.
I have always loves how Hillerman can teach a little of the Native stories and rituals in his stories and this was a wonderful look into the Navajo life.
Definitely a good read.
James
May 21, 2009 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
A man is found shot dead in his truck at the end of a dry wash. There are only the tire tracks of his pickup truck going in. Nothing, not even footsteps coming back out. So who is he and how did he get there? Why was he killed?

Sargent Jim Chee of the Navajo Tribal Police is reunited with legendary Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn in this airy mystery that explores the conflicts between the duty to love and the duty to livelihoods.
All of the familiar characters seem to face this same conflict in this in
Jesse Whitehead
Jan 16, 2012 Jesse Whitehead rated it it was amazing
I had forgotten how good Tony Hillerman is.

Here is a mystery story that is more about the characters involved than it is about the mystery. What is fascinating about it is the way that Navajo culture is woven into the story so that it becomes part of who the people are. I know David and Aimee Thurlo have done something similar with their books but not quite as well.

When officer Bernadette Manuelito discovers a body on the reservation the FBI decides to get involved. Unfortunately she misdiagnose
Oceana2602
Mar 02, 2009 Oceana2602 rated it it was ok
Pre-reading note: Recommended to me while I was traveling Utah and Arizona last year.

Post-reading review:

My first complaint about this book would be the print. It's too big. Yep, I know, it seems weird to complain about the fontsize being too big, but what can I say, I'm a fast reader, and with letters this big there just isn't enough information on the page. It takes longer to read.
Of course, the size of the font isn't really the authors fault.

My second complaint isn't the authors fault either
Jae
Aug 29, 2007 Jae rated it liked it
When Navajo tribal police officer Bernie Manuelito pokes a drunk passed out in the front seat of his pickup truck and the drunk turns out to be stone dead, Bernie entangles herself in the latest of Hillerman's Jim Chee/Joe Leaphorn mysteries. The Wailing Wind contains all the classic elements this mystery series: Something worth killing for (in this case, a long lost gold mine), good bad guys, stories of the Dineh culture, uncooperative Feds, and a sense of place that make you pack your bags and ...more
Sarah Sammis
Apr 06, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2011
The Wailing Wind by Tony Hillerman is the fifteenth mystery featuring Joe Leaphorn. Joe is now retired but it doesn't stop him from consulting in his own way when trouble arises.

A call comes in about an abandoned truck inside the bounds of the Navajo Nation. Officer Bernadette Manuelito is the one sent to the scene. She finds a man dead inside the car and has to confront her traditional beliefs that go counter to her duties as a police officer.

The present day murder brings up questions about an
Brianna
Mar 07, 2012 Brianna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in crime, murder mysteries, Native American culture
In high school I was basically obsessed with Tony Hillerman books. Not really sure why, but I was. I tried to read all of his books in my school's library. The only thing I didn't like what I couldn't really figure out the order of the books, and so I read them out of order.
These books are great. They are from a point of view from a cop who is caught between two words: Navajo and white. He treads back and forth between those lines, trying to find a balance while solving murders.
Tony Hillerman
Mary Ellen
In this Leaphorn/Chee mystery, Hillerman has a third Navajo detective, Officer Bernadette Manuelito, working on the case, so there are three strands of detecting going on, at times woven together, at others, working separately.

My enjoyment of many detective series is in direct proportion to my pleasure at spending time with the lead character, (or characters, here). And in this, the book does not disappoint. And my major reason for reading Hillerman's books is to be immersed in the place which
Chrissie the Reformed Book Hoarder
3.5

I'm not much into mystery books - although I like the genre in movies/TV series/mangas - and the only collection I have are Stanley Gardner's. The other author I read was Grisham, and his stories are more of the thriller/suspense type.

But I think I may have found a favorite in Hillerman. (I just picked it in random 'cause it's only about 25bucks :P) There's not much to tell that hasn't already been said, but he has a charm to his writing that is lacking in some contemporary novels. I can't s
Keith
Aug 06, 2015 Keith rated it really liked it
The now retired Joe Leaphorn, formerly with the Navajo tribal police, is called out of retirement to help his old friend Sergeant Jim Chee look into a murder on tribal land. The body of the victim, found dead in his truck, leads them both on an intriguing trail of ghostly sounds, heard in the desert, and the revisiting of a previous killing for which a wealthy land owner was indicted and sentenced to prison. This story of a lost gold mine on the vast Navajo Reservation captures the scope of the ...more
Peggy
Sep 03, 2016 Peggy rated it liked it
A retired Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn of the Navajo police is pulled into a old case when a new murder has links to a murder, missing woman, and gold seeking case from his past. Sergeant Jim Chee and office Bernadette Manuelito are on the case, as well as FBI agents. Jim and Bernie are looking into the new murder while Joe looks into the past. Sometimes I had a hard time connecting the old facts to the new clues, but it all comes together at the end. I listened to most of this book on CD's in my car ...more
Susan
Mar 09, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries, 2016
As always, these Chee and Leaphorn books are wonderful. I've read all the previous stories in this series (I think, but will have to check to be sure) and none of them have disappointed with regard to interesting characters, wonderful sense of place and engrossing mysteries. The dynamic between Chee and Leaphorn is a bonus as well. I would highly recommend these books to anyone looking for something new to read.

Morris Graham
Jan 08, 2015 Morris Graham rated it really liked it
This one is good, albeit lacks the complexity of his better works. A dead man discovered by Officer Manuellito finds a dead body and it spurs LT Leaphorn to recall an unsolved case from long ago. In bits a peices the facts tying the two together are revealed. This is combined with the Navajo legend of Wailing Woman wandering the desert looking for a lost child.
Nancy
Nov 27, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it
The mystery was frustrating to me, for we all know what will be found in the bunker. Chee is finally cluing in that he has finally found a worthy woman, with no clan taboos attached. It's ok for Leaphorn to still miss and grieve for his wife, but his relationship with Louisa is just plain strange.
Michael  Starsheen
A good suspense story

I read The Wailing Wind and gave it five stars.I liked the twists and turns of the story, and the interplay of the characters. Another great entry in this series.
Kathie
Jun 18, 2015 Kathie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read murder mystery taking place on a Navajo Reservation in New Mexico. One of a series of stories featuring trial police Sargent Jim Chee, retired Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn and Officer Bernadette Manuelito.
Rick
Oct 20, 2015 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a haunting story, good to read around Halloween. There's a missing wife, mysterious murder victim, and a ghostly wailing from an old U.S. military site. Leaphorn (now retired) and Chee are on the case.
Beverly Laude
Oct 04, 2015 Beverly Laude rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2015, southwest
I have read all of Tony Hillerman's Navajo mysteries & decided to reread them. Found this Audio CD version & enjoyed it all over again! I used to listen to these books as I travelled through Navajoland....really made it special!
Kieran
Jul 16, 2015 Kieran rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Summer read. For the next three weeks, I just want more and more easy reads, especially crime novels, dead bodies and cut cadavers.

However, for every easy page turner, one needs a bit of something else. So the next is a Japanese thingy.
  • Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9)
  • Shadow Man (Charlie Moon, #10)
  • Spirit Sickness
  • Coyote's Wife (Ella Clah, #13)
  • Spider Woman's Daughter (Leaphorn  & Chee, #19)
Tony Hillerman, who was born in Sacred Heart, Oklahoma, was a decorated combat veteran from World War II, serving as a mortarman in the 103rd Infantry Division and earning the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart. Later, he worked as a journalist from 1948 to 1962. Then he earned a Masters degree and taught journalism from 1966 to 1987 at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, wh ...more
More about Tony Hillerman...

Leaphorn & Chee (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Blessing Way (Leaphorn & Chee, #1)
  • Dance Hall of the Dead (Leaphorn & Chee, #2)
  • Listening Woman (Leaphorn & Chee, #3)
  • People of Darkness (Leaphorn & Chee, #4)
  • The Dark Wind (Leaphorn & Chee, #5)
  • The Ghostway (Leaphorn & Chee, #6)
  • Skinwalkers (Leaphorn & Chee, #7)
  • A Thief of Time (Leaphorn & Chee, #8)
  • Talking God (Leaphorn & Chee, #9)
  • Coyote Waits (Leaphorn & Chee, #10)