Start by marking “Writing a Woman's Life” as Want to Read:
Writing a Woman's Life
Preview

Writing a Woman's Life

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  529 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Of the two basic plots that shape our lives, the quest and the erotic script, the quest has been, for centuries, reserved for men only. A woman's journey ended at the altar. Professor Heilbrun notes that the diversity of women's lives now makes it possible for women to dare to choose their own scripts.
Published September 2nd 1989 by Ballantine Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Writing a Woman's Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing a Woman's Life

On Writing by Stephen KingThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.Bird by Bird by Anne LamottWriting Down the Bones by Natalie GoldbergEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
Best Books on Writing
245th out of 495 books — 876 voters
Ange'el by Jamie Le FayNervous Conditions by Tsitsi DangarembgaThe Second Sex by Simone de BeauvoirWhipping Girl by Julia SeranoA Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
Feminism & Gender & Stuff
47th out of 60 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Sydney
Mar 14, 2012 Sydney added it
I bought a copy of this book in my early 20s, recently graduated from college, friends heading off to law school, medical school--all kinds of professional opportunities. I was taking a women's studies class at North Seattle Community college.

But I didn't read it until now.

Now I'm raising a teenage daughter who would probably trade her intelligence to fit into our culture's new narrow definition of looking "hot." You know, size 2 butt with size D boobs.

The hope and promise in Writing A Woman's
Janet
This book seemed much more dated than it did the first time I read it, shortly after its publication, but the fundamental message remains relevant despite the fact that today's women have far more socially legitimate options than those who provide Heilbrun's examples.

The main reason for the ongoing relevance is the fact that even exceptional women of times past often told their own stories in ways that would conform to the socially acceptable standards of their time rather than tell the blunt tr
Elizabeth A.
quote from the last pages of the book:

"We women have lived too much with closure: "If he notices me, if i maary him, if i get into college, if i get this work accepted, if i get tht job" - there always seems to loom the possibility of something being over, settled, sweeping clear the way for contentment. this is the delusion of a passive life. When the hope for closure is abandoned, when there is an end to fantasy, advernture for women will begin. Endings - the kind austen tacked onto her novels
Linda Robinson
Heilbrun names 1973 as the turning point for modern women's autobiography. May Sarton wrote "Plant Dreaming Deep," a memoir about buying a house and living alone. She was dismayed to discover she'd left out the rage, struggle and despair in the memoir. She wrote "Journal of a Solitude" to reclaim the pain. Thus it is a watershed in women's autobiography.

Biographies about women, written by men - and other women - contain the language of men, and are written in the context of patriarchal culture.
Keely Hyslop
I adored this book. It might very well knock off one of the books currently on my favorites list. I had to read it with a notepad handy to take notes on all the biographies, novels, and poetry books she mentioned that I hadn't heard that will now be trickling onto my too read list.

Plus, I love the voice of the author. When a book can be extremely academic and yet highly entertaining that's a rare feat in my eyes.

Simply stated, the book is about women's biographies and how they've been historical
Jul 01, 2013 Laura added it
Shelves: women-gender
A landmark feminist opus that I had somehow never read before now. I could definitely see how it broke new ground, but also how in some ways it is an artifact of its times. Women's deep friendships are vividly in view nowadays, and women's public anger no longer in short supply. So if Heilbrun's incisive critiques seem dated, well that is a good sign.
Beth Browne
This little book should be required reading for every graduating high school student. Although I found it hard to get into at the beginning, by the end I was savoring every word. Author Carolyn Heilbrun had her finger on the pulse of what it means to be a woman, even so long ago when this book was published in 1988. It’s sad how little we’ve progressed since the exciting days of the Suffrage and Women’s Liberation movements.

But this book allows the modern woman to take heart, that our place in s
Theryn Fleming
Heilbrun was an English professor at Columbia when female professors were rarities and she was pissed off at how male academics treated their female colleagues. She felt it was important that women express anger (tell their stories) so that other women could learn from their experiences (or realize they are not alone).

After I finished the book, I looked Heilbrun up and discovered that she quit her position at Columbia (age 66) because she felt unwelcome. Then she committed suicide (age 77) beca
Laura Tanenbaum
A fascinating and important and at times frustrating book ... Heilbrun was a pioneer scholar and original voice who here turns her attention to the ways biography, autobiography and memoir shape our sense of a life and how it is lead. As she notes, men's lives have been written as stories of struggle towards autonomy and achievements while women's more often have marriage as an endpoint. Heilbrun has a particular kind of life in mind - the creative one, where autonomy and self are the ultimate g ...more
Jean Carlton
It is not surprising that this book, published in 1988 but written in 1983-84, is 'dated' as far as women's roles and feminism. Then again, many things have not really changed or are changing very slowly.
The author, born in 1926, was a strong feminist and college professor who wrote detective stories under the pen name Amanda Cross. Women often wrote under pseudonyms because they would not be taken seriously as a woman.
I was so undecided about how to review this book that I read other reviews; s
Sandy
A fabulous study of Virginia Woolf, George Sand, George Eliot, and Charlotte Bronte (among others), illustrating why women, especially women writers, need a feminist perspective and a new paradigm for their lives, devoting themselves to the quest instead of being captured and confined. Excellent.
Sandra
Writing a Woman’s Life

Carolyn G Heilbrun

“Instead, we should make use of your security, our seniority , to take risks, to make noise, to be courageous, to become unpopular.”
“It is hard to suppose women can mean or want what we have always been assured they could not possibly mean or want.”
After reading this book – I must say, I cannot write reviews anymore – arrogant really – very arrogant that I even put on my website “review.” From now on I can only write my impressions of books.
My impression
Debra
When I was in college many years ago, I took only one women’s study course, but it made me rethink the way women’s history had been written, or should I say distorted, and certainly ignored, by patriarchal biases and discrimination.

Essentially, the book’s premise is that women of the 20’s and 30’s (a generation author Carolyn Heilbrun focused on) were very much confined by conventional expectations. A few writers either chose, or felt forced, to adopt different identities to pursue their passion
Satia
Good book but didn't live up to my expectations. For my full review click here.
Michelle
Carol
I first read this book--maybe twenty years ago. When I saw a copy for sale at a used book sale I grabbed it because I remembered it had been important for me. I was thrilled to discover that is was even better than I had remembered! There are so many important insights about what counts as a woman's story--what narratives and models does our culture offer? Has that changed? I certainly hope so--although I sometimes despair when I realize the battles I fought back in the sixties and seventies hav ...more
Julia
This book was so amazing and insightful I have to come back to write my review.
Carmen Slaughter
Essential reading, I think. Not sure how I've not read it before now.
Kathrine
Found it interesting but felt slightly fragmented to read. I was especially interested in the discussion of Dorothy L. Sayers and Virginia Woolf as they are two of my favourite authors. Contains loads of references to women authors that it will be worth following up and I will definitely be looking out for Heilbrun's dectective stories.
"Time and trouble will tame an advanced
Young woman, but an advanced old woman is
Uncontrollable by any earthly force" (Dorothy L. Sayers)
Happyreader
While the book is still relevant -- how women hide themselves to conform to ideals that don't ultimately benefit them -- my favorite chapter is the last, discussing being authentic and powerful after 50. While I'm not there yet (close though), the chapter includes both a promise of finally not being a "female impersonator" and a caution of what will be lost if you cling to supposed security and ends up just sitting and listening to your arteries harden.
Tope
May 29, 2014 Tope rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Tope by: Conevery
Originally finished this book in June 2008. Reread it in May 2014. Not as impressive the second time around, and I've docked my rating of it by a star. I'll be writing more about it, but the short version of why: whooooo boy there is a whole lot of white second wave feminism all up in this book and it is a PROBLEM. One maybe shouldn't title a book "Writing a Woman's Life" if it's only about white middle and upper class women. A thought.

More to come.
Becky
I read this while writing my dissertation and wanted to re-read it for my latest writing project. The second time was even better than the first. Heilbrun's book is a classic feminist text. Although she discusses literary works, it's a book for anyone who's ever wondered how women come to write about their lives (autobiographies, biographies, letters, journals, etc.).
Olga Zilberbourg
A fascinating study of the tropes in writing women's biographies and women's lives. The author analyses her own decision to write a series of detective novels under a pseudonym that she kept secret for two decades.
Mauras
Aug 03, 2009 Mauras added it
Extremely interesting, very readable look at how little or nothing of the full scope of women's lives, feelings, aspirations, was included in journals, autobiographies, biographies, until the mid-70's. Makes you think about your own life, what you share, or don't, how we decide what can be thought or said about ourselves as women by what we hear from other women.
Tristy
Published in 1988, this is a tad dated, but the fundamental theses are still incredibly relevant. It also has a fantastic list of all the works cited in the book and once I finished the book I felt like I had just taken a feminist biography critique class (in a good way)! This is a solid reference book for any feminist literary library.
Patricia
So thoughtful and thought-provoking
Joan Winnek
My women's memoirs class is reading this one chapter per week, except that we skipped Chapter Three.

Our class finished the book today. Thought-provoking, although I quibble with some of Heilbrun's generalizations--maybe because more than twenty years have passed since it was written
Greg
Great book about women's biography and autobiography. From the title it sounds scholarly, and it is, but in a style that is easy to read and understand. If you don't know anything about feminism, or why women write the way they do, this is a good place to start.
Julie H.
Both writer's how-to and autobiography, this book shared advice about surviving a life in academia that I have seen proven true time and time again. A gift from Dr Heilbrun to the rest of us. Any woman entering the maze should definitely read this book.
Catherine Siemann
This book was really formative for me when I was first seriously thinking about feminism in connection with various academic disciplines (literature, law). It's no longer quite so relevant to my concerns, but I will always think of it fondly.
500 Great Books B...: Writing a Woman's Life - Carolyn G. Heilbrun 4 8 Aug 03, 2014 08:41AM
  • Thunder and Lightning: Cracking Open the Writer's Craft
  • How to Suppress Women's Writing
  • The Writer on Her Work
  • A Literature Of Their Own: British Women Novelists From Brontë To Lessing
  • Of Woman Born: Motherhood as Experience and Institution
  • Writing to Learn: How to Write--And Think--Clearly about Any Subject at All
  • One Writer's Beginnings (William E.Massey Senior Lectures in the History of American Civilization) (The William E. Massey Sr. Lectures in the History of American Civilization)
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • Journal of a Solitude
  • Learning to Drive: And Other Life Stories
  • Composing a Life
  • Writing Past Dark: Envy, Fear, Distraction and Other Dilemmas in the Writer's Life
  • Daybook: The Journal of an Artist
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular
  • Women's Ways of Knowing: The Development of Self, Voice, and Mind
  • Making a Literary Life
  • Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words
Carolyn Gold Heilbrun (January 13, 1926 – October 9, 2003) was an American academic and prolific feminist author of both important academic studies and popular mystery novels under the pen name of Amanda Cross.

Heilbrun attended graduate school in English literature at Columbia University, receiving her M.A. in 1951 and Ph.D in 1959. Among her most important mentors were Columbia professors Jacques
More about Carolyn G. Heilbrun...
The Last Gift of Time: Life Beyond Sixty Education of a Woman: The Life of Gloria Steinem Reinventing Womanhood Hamlet's Mother and Other Women: With a New Preface by the Author Toward a Recognition of Androgyny: A Search Into Myth and Literature to Trace Manifestations of Androgyny and to Assess Their Implications for Today

“We women have lived too much with closure: "If he notices me, if I marry him, if I get into college, if I get this work accepted, if I get this job" -- there always seems to loom the possibility of something being over, settled, sweeping clear the way for contentment. This is the delusion of a passive life. When the hope for closure is abandoned, when there is an end to fantasy, adventure for women will begin.” 76 likes
“Unfortunately, power is something that women abjure once they perceive the great difference between the lives possible to men and to women...” 3 likes