Start by marking “Circle at Center (Seven Circles Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Circle at Center (Seven Circles Trilogy, #1)

Circle at Center (Seven Circles #1)

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  229 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
With his acclaimed Watershed Trilogy from Ace -- and his phenomenally successful "Dragonlance" series from TSR -- Douglas Niles became one of the most promising stars of epic fantasy adventure. Starlog magazine raved that Niles "writes so well that his characters come to life after only a few sentences". Now this gifted storyteller has created a rich and complex new trilog ...more
Published July 12th 2000 by Ace Trade (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Circle at Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circle at Center

Rocko
Dec 29, 2010 Rocko rated it it was ok

Just a heads up—this review doesn’t really say anything regarding what the book is about. If you’re looking for a basic summary of this book, don’t bother reading this review.

Let’s see. If I had to describe this book in one word, I’d choose: FRUSTRATING.
First of all, the book takes a very long time to get interesting. In the beginning it is very slow paced. It actually took me about three months or so to get past the first 200 pages. I kept putting it down and picking up other books in the me
Jen

This review is also posted on my blog.

(view spoiler)
Andrew
Feb 14, 2014 Andrew rated it did not like it
JessicaAFM
Pretty basic fantasy fare. Very entertaining but basic. I did like that they did draw characters in from primitive Earth. We get a Viking, a Celt and an American Indian as part of our hero party in addition to the staple dwarf/elf mix. I also love how the goblins are recasted as well. Overall, I look forward to the next book.
Patrick
Dec 27, 2011 Patrick rated it did not like it
Circle at Center begins with a promising concept that quickly dives into the waters of the mundane. While Niles is competent at world-building (as the numerous blurbs on the book cover attest), this dragon egg of a book is nonetheless filled with two-dimensional characters, tons of unnecessary battle sequences and a bizarre 25-year time jump two-thirds of the way through the book. Circle at Center is a Dungeons & Dragons aficionado's wet dream (complete with a dwarf-on-dwarf sex scene), but ...more
Becky
Jan 10, 2009 Becky rated it liked it
Isn't the cover beautiful!?!

I do not fully agree that a cover doesn't make a book. I think in general a title or a cover does peak our interest because when you see a million and one books all staring back at you ... where do you begin? "at the beginning ..." I don't do that.

I enjoyed the story however the book centers on a war and it lasts for 25 years. In a blink of an eye you jump from the start, which peaks your interests and brings the characters together, but quickly jumps to 25 yrs later.
Kathy Sebesta
Apr 13, 2015 Kathy Sebesta rated it did not like it
Way way too much set-up. Way way too meticulous. Took forever before something actually happened. Think I made it to page 60 before I gave up.
Tourmalily
Mar 30, 2015 Tourmalily rated it liked it
Sylvie Dale
Nov 23, 2012 Sylvie Dale rated it really liked it
Big concept, great creatures. I am a sucker for fantastic creatures like dwarves, elves, centaurs, etc. I liked the concept that the worlds can be traversed by level, literally climbing up into the next level. The level of the dwarves was genuinely scary, but the dwarves themselves were strong and brave. I also live how the worlds are interconnected so that a problem on one can disrupt the well being of another.
Pants
Aug 06, 2011 Pants rated it it was ok
Shelves: male-author, fantasy
A friend lent this to me back in high school for silent reading. That was a few years ago. I distinctly remember the book opening with some kind of sex ritual, an Aztec human sacrifice, and...

No, that’s about it. I think I still have the book report somewhere.
Kim
Jan 04, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
i enjoyed this book quite a bit. it's one of those fantasy books that really captures you and doesn't let go. when i finished i wanted to get started on the second in the series immediately. i would recommend it if you're looking for a fun but captivating read.
T J
Nov 13, 2013 T J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is rated R for mature readers only. The plot is intriguing but there is graphic sex, rape and cannibalism. I am not recommending this for teens at all. If the author toned down these parts it would of been a great story.
Justin
You can always tell when some fantasy author needs to get laid because there are too many creepy sex/rape scenes.
Paul
Jan 17, 2008 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book opened with a huge erotic sex scene... kinda wrecked the whole thing for me.
Jaime Hudson
Jan 14, 2013 Jaime Hudson rated it liked it
Very slow to start, enjoyed reading about certain characters over others.
Dec 10, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I loved this book I was really suprised currently reading the 2nd now
Shayna
Mar 09, 2012 Shayna rated it liked it
It was okay. A little too heavy on war and battle description.
Sandy
Jan 10, 2009 Sandy rated it liked it
It was ok I have read better books
Erik Joseph
Erik Joseph rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Lacey Skorepa
Lacey Skorepa rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Wolf_Maiden
Wolf_Maiden marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Trevor Cardozo
Trevor Cardozo rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Cerisse
Cerisse marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Dudi
Dudi rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Rebeca
Rebeca marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Zachary Waterman
Zachary Waterman is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. page number change 5 35 Apr 05, 2014 01:39PM
  • The Encounter (Boreal and John Grey, #1)
  • Illumination
  • Nightsong
  • Dangerous Offspring (Fourlands, #3)
  • The Arms of Hercules (Book of the Gods, #3)
  • Realm of Light (The Ruby Throne Trilogy, #3)
  • The Last Guardian of Everness (The War of the Dreaming, #1)
  • Wizard of the Grove (Omnibus: Child of the Grove / The Last Wizard)
  • The Thief's Gamble (The Tales of Einarinn #1)
  • Princess Nevermore (Princess Nevermore and the Wizard's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Dreaming Tree (Arafel, #1-2)
  • Daughter of Exile
  • The Iron Tree (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #1)
  • Song of the Beast
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • Heroics for Beginners
  • The King (Rodrigo of Caledon, #2)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
Douglas Niles is a fantasy author and game designer. Niles was one of the creators of the Dragonlance world and the author of the first three Forgotten Realms novels, and the Top Secret S/I espionage role-playing game. He currently resides in Delavan, Wisconsin with his wife, Christine, and two Bouviets, Reggie and Stella. He enjoys playing his guitar, cooking, and visiting with family.

More about Douglas Niles...

Seven Circles (3 books)