Start by marking “Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #11)” as Want to Read:
Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #11)

Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis #11)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  449 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Between teaching, mothering, and prepping her Poodle for the next show, Melanie Travis barely has time to pencil in some Christmas festivities. Especially since she finds herself making a list of suspects--and checking it twice--when murder comes home for the holidays...

This year, all Melanie wants for Christmas is a dull moment--but she's not going to get it. Between her
Published September 1st 2004 by Kensington (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Jingle Bell Bark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jingle Bell Bark

Amy
PB/mystery: I needed something to get me in the holiday mood; why not murder? This is book 11 in the Melanie Travis series and my first read of the story. I did not have a problem understanding the who, what, where. I will start by telling you that I am not only a dog person, but a believer in animal shelter dogs. I think breeding dogs for pets is ridiculous.
That being said, I really liked the book. I like the heroine; she is a bit of a slacker mom who believes in spending time with her kid ove
Clare O'Beara
The only trouble with following both this author and Susan Conant is that the books tend to repeat one another. Both feature amateur sleuths showing large pedigree dogs and so they have to face the same issues of show rivalries, show nerves, grooming, puppy production at less than ideal standards, re-homing older pedigree dogs and more. These all occur in this book.

As Christmas approaches Melanie finds that her son's school bus driver has been replaced. He's died, sadly, and left two Labradors
Jayme(the ghost reader)
This is a new to me author. It is the 11th in a series. I didn't realize is was part of a series. I thought the title was cute. It is a cozy mystery. It is about a woman, Melanie, who is an amateur sleuth. She raises and shows poodles. One day, her son's bus driver mysteriously disappears. She and her best friend go check on him. What is thought of a heart attack turns into murder.

Being a dog lover, I can appreciate the research the author invested into finding out about dog shows. I also could
Bookadventurer
Second one of the series I've read, and I didn't enjoy as much as the first one I read Gone With the Woof, but I still liked it.

I caught a few editing boo-boos, like when Melanie waits until the last minute to get a Christmas tree and states her and Davey ended up with smaller but fuller tree, and then a few pages later there is a whole scene of Melanie fighting to get the tree in the house because it was just too large, and Davey had to call his dad to come help.

While I enjoy the characters a
Nolan
First, if you’re looking for the blood and gore kind of mystery, you won’t find it in this book. This is very much a cozy, but it’s well written. So if you’re not a cozy mystery fan, but you’ve come up with the courage to try a new genre, you may find this book a pleasure to read. The first thing you’ll notice is that single-mom schoolteacher amateur sleuth Melanie Travis is immediately and wonderfully likable. The second thing that may strike you is Berenson’s talent as a writer. Her prose aren ...more
Shazza Maddog
I've a thing for reading books with animals in them. Melanie is a divorced school teacher with a son, Davey, an aunt, Peg, an ex-husband, a brother, a sister-in-law and a fiance'. Oh, and two Standard Poodles, all of whom play pretty big roles in the ongoing series.

This particular story takes place during the time leading up to Christmas and besides the above characters, includes a trip to a dog show, a lot of really good information about how to choose your dogs for purchase, tidbits about Pood
Kilgallen
Overall I liked this cozy mystery. It did take a bit for me to get into and the ending, while it came as a surprise, seemed rushed. There was a lot of information given about dog breeding and showing that I found interesting on a personal level, as I am an avid dog person myself, but this information had little if anything to do with the story itself. I admit that I have not read books 1-10 in this series, but even so, I was not feeling lost so it does function well as a stand alone novel as wel ...more
Allison Miller
In this lighthearted mystery, Melanie Travis and her Aunt Peg set out to try and solve the murder of Melanie's son's school bus driver. We get to see Melanie's every day life along the way with Davey, her fiancee Sam and her ex-husband Bob. She rescues 2 beautiful golden retrievers from the house of the bus driver after he has been taken to the hospital. They leave them in Aunt Peg's kennel and try to solve the crime while getting ready for Christmas.
Sharon Thrasher
Such a good writer.

I just love the characters un this book. Aunt Peg is a blast. Davy is smart and so are the dogs. Melanie is the best. So much caring and love and mystery they are just great. I just wish Sam and Melanie would tie the knot. Ok on to the next book and maybe they will.
Robert Schneider
i bought this just because I needed one more book for the sale. It was a Christmas themed mystery so maybe I'll like it. It is the first book in the series I have read. The mystery itself only takes up about a quarter of the book, if that, and you know what? I didn't mind at all. I liked the main characters and their lives. I wasn't sure at first what with the major ungracefull info dump in chapter 1. And I pretty much skipped the dog show chapter, way to much intricate detail about points and d ...more
Alisha
I read this book when I was a freshman in high school. I don't really remember what happened. Something about drugs and murder. And dogs. I'll have to read it again if I want to give an actual review.
Pat
Bus driver is poisoned.
2 goldens left in his house.
Aunt Peg takes dogs.
Bus driver's daughters from hell create havoc.
Aunt Peg almost gets murdered.
Ara of My Book and My Coffee
“I’ve learned a lot about Standard Poodles on this one. It’s rather fascinating! The murder mystery is quite engaging.” – My Book and My Coffee

This is the 11th book in the Melanie Travis murder mystery series. I haven’t read the others yet but I do have “Doggie Day Care Murder” (15th book) on my TBR pile. And I am actually hoping to read the first one in this series as I think it’ll be worth it and fun!

Read more ... My Book and My Coffee Book Review: Jingle Bell Bark by Laurien Berenson

- Ara of
Kristen
If you love Christmas cozies, you'll enjoy the 11th book in the Melanie Travis series. Right before Christmas, Melanie is getting ready for the holidays with her son Davey, and planning her wedding with Sam. Meanwhile, when Henry Pruitt, her son's bus driver, doesn't show up for work the next day, it's up to Melanie and her Aunt Peg to find out what happened to him. While dealing with his daughters and two dogs, Melanie learns more about Henry's life. And as she digs deeper, someone ends up get ...more
Cute.
I wasn't aware there was a rival "dog lover's" mystery series until I saw this one, and several others, sold in sets in a dog-themed gift catalog.

I much enjoy Susan Conant's Dog Lover's Mysteries, with the heroine, Holly Winter, so I thought I'd give these a go.

Sadly, this is the only one of Laurien Berenson's "Melanie Travis" mysteries that my library carries.

I enjoyed it, though I felt it wasn't quite as warm and friendly as Conant's works. It was a good read. I definitely didn't see the
Jean Cable
Really enjoyed, fun read
Melissa
First one in this series that I read. It was pretty entertaining.
Kelley
Cute read, mostly fluff, but for this time of year, it's exactly what you need to read with so much going on.
Susan
Nov 30, 2013 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy dog-themed books and cozy mysteries
A fun, enjoyable romp with Melanie and her family. Dog fans will enjoy the Poodles and the Golden Retrievers, and serious dog lovers will appreciate the details provided on all sorts of dog information, from the show ring to the backyard breeder.

Some might enjoy reading the series in order, but it's not absolutely necessary to enjoy the book on its own.
Rob
Well written characters and mystery. The book goes off track at times and becomes more of a lecture on poodles, dog shows, how to buy a puppy, etc. I like the lead characters well enough that I'm going to try another book of hers. If you're a dog lover or animal lover (I'm into mules), you'll relate to this book.
Patmcclain
Very mediocre, tortured narrative. Plot was slightly better. I learned something about dog shows & puppy mills but I felt lectured to.
Anne
This story takes place around Christmastime, and Melanie finds herself in another mystery as she also works with showing her Standard poodles. these books are all well written and an enjoyable if short read.
Sfdreams
Oct 30, 2007 Sfdreams rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: reviewed
Another fine outing of Melanie Travis. You always learn about standard poodles and dog shows in all of Laurie Berenson's novels about Melanie Travis. Light and fun.
Nancy
I am going to read Christmas themed books from now until, you know. Hoping
to get in the spirit of the season this year and not be a Scrooge.
Amy DeMordaunt
An ok holiday mystery read. The dog show/poodle stuff was not something I needed to know, but being a dog loving person, I gave it a try.
Melinda
Ok way to funny her name is close to mine with an 8 year old and black poodle. Way to close to my life.
Jeanette
As always the Melanie Travis series is so funny to read.The characters and story are entertaining to read.
Kaitlin
I actually really liked this book. I wouldn't mind reading some of her others.
Debbie
Had fun with this one around Christmas
  • Stud Rites
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • A Brace of Bloodhounds
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1) Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2) Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3) Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4) Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)

“Your list of suspects, of course. Don’t you watch TV? Don’t you read books? How do you expect to solve a mystery if you’re not keeping a list?” 0 likes