Start by marking “Hounded to Death (Melanie Travis, #14)” as Want to Read:
Hounded to Death (Melanie Travis, #14)

Hounded to Death (Melanie Travis #14)

Melanie Travis thought her visit to a rustic Pocono Mountains resort would offer some well-earned relaxation even though it meant leaving her family and her beloved Poodle Faith behind. That was before she discovered the corpse in the inn's secluded hot tub. Now, she's sniffing out the trail of a killer as frightened guests and the police howl for swift justice.

As the dog
Published September 1st 2007 by Kensington (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hounded to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hounded to Death

Mary
Sep 20, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed every Melanie Travis Mystery by Laurien Berenson. Melanie, her sister-n-law Bertie and Aunt Peg go to the Pocono Mountains for a five-day symposium for dog show judges. Aunt Peg is the only dog show judge but the other two decided to go along to hear other speeches. In this book Melanie is pregnant and it brought a different element into the storyline. I was surprised the standard poodles were not in this book only when Melanie called husband Sam. I love standard poodles but was n ...more
Jayme(the ghost reader)
This is the fourteenth book in this series. Melanie Travis is a full time Special Education teacher and a part time sleuth. She shows Standard Poodles with her Aunt Peg in the local dog show circuit. She has married her long time boyfriend and is expecting a baby. With time off for fall break, she accompanies her Aunt Peg and her sister in law Bertie for a dog show conference. Melanie is looking forward to a week of relaxation. The conference has barely started when the keynote speaker is found ...more
Janet
May 09, 2009 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
While I missed Sam, Davey, and the poodle crew, it was nice to see that Melanie and the girls are strong enough characters to stand on their own. And true to form, dogs still play a role in the plot, even in a “no dogs allowed” setting. I was a little confused with the multitude of suspects, but the ending was sharp enough that I didn’t mind the lack of clarity. Another great book with a lovely heroine.
Barbara
Nov 16, 2010 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Really didn't like this one as much as the others in the series. Even the most recent book (Doggie Day Care Murder?) was more enjoyable. I don't think the main and recurring characters are really acting as we've come to expect them to behave. The motivations seem a bit muddy and indistinct.
Kathy Davie
Sep 06, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
Fourteenth in the Melanie Travis mystery series with this story set in the Poconos Mountains for a dog show judging symposium.

The Story
It's October and Melanie is four-months pregnant. And Sam has pushed Melanie out the door to take this week-long vacation with Aunt Peg and Bertie.

The excitement is all about Charles Evans' speech about the Future of Dog Shows. His controversial point is that dog show people are more concerned with breeding dogs to look good in the ring than in how well they func
Lynn
Apr 26, 2011 Lynn rated it really liked it

This was the first of the Melanie Travis series that I read -- of course, since it seems to be the 14th one, how is it that I come to a series so late? The premise is that Melanie is in the Dog Show loop and is at a conference with her sister-in-law and aunt. While at the conference, Melanie learns about different dog breeds, judging techniques, and murder. Her sister-in-law seems to live at the health spa, her aunt is trying to meet a man she met in a dog breeding chat room, and Melanie is tryi
Jen
Sep 27, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Melanie Travis accompanies Aunt Peg and sister-in-law Bertie to a five-day symposium for dog show judges in the Pocono Mountains. A few months pregnant, she’s looking forward to a little R&R. Meanwhile Aunt Peg hopes to kindle a romance with her online beau Richard Donner with whom she has been corresponding for months.
When judge Charles Evens delivers a controversial keynote address, his career and reputation are jeopardized. Then Melanie finds his lifeless body floating face-down in the h
Deborah Darsie
Usual cast of characters...but the Standard Poodles, Sam and Davey all take a distant back seat to the joys of a dog conference attended by a couple hundred judges, breeders and handlers.

A couple of activist moments mixed with some promiscuity in the background - ends up with a prominent figure in this community dead on the first day and Melanie ends up embroiled in the investigation and helping to educate the detective on the culture of dog showing.

Aunt Peg, Bertie dragged Melanie along for an
Nathalie S
Aug 10, 2015 Nathalie S rated it it was amazing
This cat person has been following Melanie Travis (dog person)'s mysteries for several years now! It's been a while since I've read one of Laurien Berenson's book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a great read for lounging around and relaxing any season of the year.
Gloria
Jul 30, 2016 Gloria rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I've been busy, so my progress on this edition of Berenson's Melanie Travis book was slower than novel. My crazy schedule to the contrary, this was a fun, fast read. Who knew the dog show world could have so much going on under the surface!

Recommended
Pat
Oct 13, 2014 Pat rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Seminar in Poconos. Stray German Shepherd.
Peg has online boyfriend.
Malia
Sep 01, 2016 Malia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dog
Murder Mystery at a dog event. So many people...
Pam Masters
Apr 23, 2012 Pam Masters rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I've read almost all of the Melanie Travis Mysteries, and so far, I think this one isn't the best one I've read, but I'm sure it's not the worst one either.

For me it was a great change of pace as I've been reading lots of heavier books this year (between classics and "heavy" topics). It was nice to read a book that I could just relax and enjoy. I had no idea who it was who was the criminal but I had my suspicions. Then again, I'm not the kind who goes through and try to solve the crime before th
Anne
Oct 08, 2010 Anne rated it liked it
Laurien Berenson has written many books about Melanie Travis, who is a poodle afficionado and a single mother. In this book, she has married her long time boyfiend, Sam, and he has urged her to go to a judging seminar with her aunt Peg. Of course, someone is murdered, and melanie begins her sleuthing to find out the culprit. There books are good light reads for an cold evening at home by the fire or a day a the seashore.
Marian
Jan 10, 2008 Marian rated it really liked it
Shelves: readit, 2008
I was kind of worried about this series, as it seems as if the time between books has gotten longer, or maybe I just forget them too easily... but Hounded to Death is a quick, fluffy good read.

I'm not sure how much it'll contribute to the overall series, but it's fun. The only problem I had was that I had no idea who did it and part of the answer seemed completely out of left field... and more than a little random.
Kim Ledford
Jan 23, 2013 Kim Ledford rated it it was ok
A feel-good sort of mystery novel, without any real suspense. Berenson tends to repeat the same plot points and character descriptions with a heavy hand and no real suspense. I did learn a lot about the dog breeding trade, though there was almost no actual canine presence in the book. I like the tone, pace, subject, and protagonist, but prefer her other books.
GIZMO
Jul 01, 2013 GIZMO rated it did not like it
maybe I'm picking nits here but how can judges learn to evaluate dogs without having "hands on" experience? why would anyone attend a judging symposium where dogs were prohibited? with all the emphasis this series places on realistic portrayals of the dog show world this was a glaring misstep to me...this entry in the series really suffers from the absence of dogs
Jan
Nov 09, 2012 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Ok mystery in a long series. I think I may have read a previous one. I guess I feel like there are better ways to spend my reading time, even with series whose quality may be similar, but which are more interesting to me, like ones with recipes, or Spencer Quinn's Chet and Bernie.
Ilana Weiss
Jul 15, 2012 Ilana Weiss rated it really liked it
There was a lot of unnecessary things that were too long of a moment and felt like it was dragging and it felt like the murder was more minor than major when that's what the book was supposed to be based on. Other than that, this is a really great book.
Beverly
Jan 19, 2009 Beverly rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-series
Usual cozy from dog show mystery writer Berensen. Readable but boring story of a murder during a dog judging symposium set at a spa in Pennsylvania and related to a corrupt judge. In this episode Melanie is pregnant and Aunt Peg has a boyfriend (briefly).
Felicia
"Just about anything would sound proper compared to what we'd discussed thus far: murder and naked babes."
A cute cozy mystery involving the dog show world. There was a crazy number of suspects, but it was still an enjoyable read.
Diane
Dec 10, 2008 Diane rated it liked it
When renowned judge Charles Evans delivers a keynote address that irritates many of the attendees, the dog show symposium's agenda takes a deadly turn. Later that evening, the judge is found floating face-down in the outdoor hot tub.
Michele
Dec 23, 2007 Michele rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
I read this yesterday & thought it was fairly ho hum. I got tired of the main character's stance of being several months pregnant yet never eating anything. Both the plot & the characters were less than compelling, too.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
Nov 11, 2008 Rexanna Ipock-Brown rated it really liked it
This book took some different turns for the main characters, but was entertaining. This is a book for dog lovers as well as mystery lovers. It is a great book to read before bedtime.
Ellen
Mar 03, 2012 Ellen rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries-crime
Kind of cute. It's been a week or so since I've read it and I can't even remember who the murderer was. Not a memorable book, but it was entertaining.
Becky Galambos
Dec 23, 2015 Becky Galambos rated it really liked it
While I missed having a lot of Davey, Sam, the poodle crew, Terry and Crawford, etc, it was nice to focus on Aunt Peg and her relationships.
Carol
Dec 23, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
Fun read. Enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek commentary and the varied and independent personalities of the women characters.
lynn
Sep 10, 2007 lynn rated it liked it
this was a cute mystery especially if you like light and you must love dogs....a good who dun it!!
Chazzi
Feb 04, 2016 Chazzi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A fun, light read. Variety of characters make a nice mix along with multiple story lines.
Linda
Sep 17, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Entertaining. Not too mind stretching.
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Blind Bloodhound Justice
  • Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #3)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
Laurien Berenson is the author of thirty novels that have sold more than two million copies worldwide. Her cozy mystery series revolves around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently nineteen Melanie Travis canine mysteries, including the newest book in the series, LIVE AND LET GROWL.

Berenson is
More about Laurien Berenson...

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)