Start by marking “Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)” as Want to Read:
Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)

Watchdog (Melanie Travis #5)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  665 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
It's autumn in Connecticut. Melanie Travis has just started a new job, and with the added excitement of showing her standard poodle, Faith, in the fall shows, the last thing she wants is to become embroiled in yet another of her brother Frank's moneymaking schemes. His current brainstorm--remaking an old store in stylish suburban Fairfield County into a trendy coffee bar-- ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Watchdog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watchdog

Murder Strikes a Pose by Tracy WeberDog on It by Spencer QuinnA Killer Retreat by Tracy WeberThis Dog for Hire by Carol Lea BenjaminA Pedigree to Die For by Laurien Berenson
Dog Related Mysteries
55th out of 114 books — 30 voters
Dog on It by Spencer QuinnThe Anteater of Death by Betty WebbCuriosity Thrilled the Cat by Sofie KellyThe Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse by Leann SweeneyMurder, She Barked by Krista Davis
Animal based Cozy Mysteries
37th out of 47 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Nov 10, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it
Funny how we don't hear much from Melanie Travis's brother Frank in her previous mystery adventures. We know he exists, and we've seen him a few times during family get-togethers; all the same, I'm sure Melanie prefers not to have him around, for when he is he's either raiding her refrigerator or asking for money.

In Watchdog, Frank is asking for much more: he wants his sister to help clear his name when a business associate is murdered.

Frank's latest big venture in a string of failed jobs and pr
Emily Cullen
Apr 08, 2016 Emily Cullen rated it really liked it
Teacher and dog show hobbyist Melanie Travis is pulled in again to find out who killed a wealthy business man when her brother is the number one subject. I really enjoy this cozy mystery series. It's got great characters, romance and good mysteries. It does delve heavily into the dog show world so if dogs aren't your scene you may not find it to your liking.
Candy
Apr 09, 2016 Candy rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book because it includes a cousin to my breed - smooth fox terrier. I felt the mystery was the weakest of the series so far, and the story line of the brother was exasperating. But I still found it a pleasurable read.
Sarahanne
Feb 11, 2016 Sarahanne rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of the series. This book had focus on Frank & that added interested to all the characters. Aunt Peg is a softy after all, right?

Stephanie
Jun 07, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-dog-books
I absolutely love this series! Melanie seems to always find herself solving a murder and the story is so entertained that it keeps me reading. I love the relative between Melanie and Sam and can't wait to see what the future books have in store for the two of them and of course, Davey, Aunt Peg and the dogs!
Kathy
May 15, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series. Funny and engaging and I like all the dogs. Its nice that the romance keeps moving forward too. Just a nice fun read
Lona
May 09, 2014 Lona rated it really liked it
Quick and fun read. Who could put down a book that has standard poodle characters?
A
Nov 11, 2013 A rated it liked it
I didn't think I would enjoy this book because previous books about dogs and their handlers were often boring. But this book had a bit of a bite to it and I enjoyed reading about the world of show dogs and their handlers.
Julie
It's only been a day or two since I finished this one and I don't know how to rate it because, frankly, I barely remember it. That's probably a bad sign, though whether about me or the book is questionable.
Nan
Sep 11, 2012 Nan rated it liked it
Good story.. Quick read.. I now know more about showing Standard Poodles than i ever wanted to know..l If you are a dog person this would be better..
Becky Galambos
Dec 13, 2015 Becky Galambos rated it really liked it
Rereading this series in order, finally! Love the characters, and this book introduces my second favorite character, Sam.
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 24, 2013 Sue Kozlowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good! Melanie shows dogs. Her brother Frank works on opening a coffee shop and gets accused of murder.
Jeanette
Most of the books in this series are rather boring, but this one was a faster pace it seemed and more interesting.
Corinne
Sep 02, 2013 Corinne rated it really liked it
Great book. Love the Melanie Travis series. I am a dog lover and enjoy all the information about the dog show circuit.
Donna
Jul 17, 2011 Donna rated it liked it
Enjoyed for a quick read.
Helen
Shelves: f-813-54-bere, m
F 813.54 BERE
Louann
Mar 31, 2010 Louann rated it liked it
Good
Maya McMullan
Maya McMullan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Charlie M
Charlie M rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Sohna Ravindran
Sohna Ravindran rated it did not like it
May 27, 2016
Ceil
Ceil rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
  • Creature Discomforts (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #13)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • The House on Bloodhound Lane
Laurien Berenson is the author of thirty novels that have sold more than two million copies worldwide. Her cozy mystery series revolves around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently eighteen Melanie Travis canine mysteries, including the newest book, THE BARK BEFORE CHRISTMAS. The next title in ...more
More about Laurien Berenson...

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)