Start by marking “The Photographer's Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Photographer's Handbook

The Photographer's Handbook

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A classic, bestselling photographer's manual is issued for the first time in paperback, revised and updated. More than 600 separate entries illustrated with 1,250 photographs, diagrams, and charts cover the entire range of subject matter, from choosing a camera to storing finished prints.
Published September 8th 1992 by Knopf (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Photographer's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Photographer's Handbook

Jeff
Feb 13, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.
Every so often a book comes along that totally reinvents the way you have been doing things. This is one of those books. I no longer take pictures. Rather, I make them. Hard to do when you specialize in longer exposures.
John Hedgecoe revised and updated this book so anyone with an interest in photography is able to follow along quite well, provided they understand more than to just push a button. This is a book most especially for the type of photographer who wants to learn beyond the basics
M
Mar 22, 2011 M rated it it was amazing
This handbook was written in the early 1990's, when most people were still using film, but it's well worth having for the tips on exposure, lighting, and composition. Hedgecoe is a master! Interestingly, the text was written Leonard Ford, who has published books on photography under the name Michael Langford. I picked up the copy I have at a library sale and refer to it more often than almost any other photography handbook I own.
Peter
Aug 04, 2011 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobby
My first photographer's book. A very handy copy which I pick up from time to time to for a refresher. A timely gift to me who inspired me to pick up this hobby. Now I am into DSLR and this book deserved to be mentioned. This out of print book can never be found in the bookstore, if you are lucky enough to find it at a flea market do go for it.
Craig
Jul 14, 2008 Craig rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Amateur Photographers
Concise and well written; the information on "getting the shot" is useful at a glance. The author is much less conceited than most photographer/authors and is focused on providing the reader with the nuts and bolts necessary to make whatever images are desired, in any conditions, using any equipment.
Don Graham
Mar 23, 2009 Don Graham rated it it was amazing
It is an amazing book that covers just about everything you need to know about photography. I have been shooting for a long time, yet I still find this book valuable as a reference.
Puja
Aug 14, 2007 Puja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
great book for the shelf. geared towards film versus digital, but has some great tips. especially useful when learning about filters
Elizabeth
Aug 26, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knowledge
It's actually the second edition; but the third was all I could find to add to our list.
Ben
Jan 13, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing
Really excellent. A must have
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Jeff Catania
Jeff Catania rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
G
G added it
Apr 16, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Justin Quaintance
Justin Quaintance marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Debi
Debi rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Ramone
Ramone marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Lacy LeBlanc
Lacy LeBlanc rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Joelle
Joelle rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Frederic
Frederic marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Nijad
Nijad marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Owen
Owen marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Mohammed
Mohammed rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
  • Photojournalism: The Professionals' Approach [With Dvdrom]
  • Ansel Adams: Classic Image Essays
  • Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
  • Best Business Practices for Photographers
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • The A-Z of Creative Photography
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • Moments: Pulitzer Prize-Winning Photographs: A Visual Chronicle of Our Time
  • Supercade: A Visual History Of The Videogame Age, 1971 1984
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too!
  • The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders
John Hedgecoe (24 March 1932 – 3 June 2010) was an award-winning British photographer and author of over 30 books on photography. He established the photography department in 1965 at the Royal College of Art, where he was Professor from 1975 to 1994 and Professor Emeritus until his death. He was also Pro-Rector of the college from 1981 to 1993. His photographs appear in permanent collections at th ...more
More about John Hedgecoe...