The Destruction of Dresden

The Destruction of Dresden

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Destruction of Dresden is a 1963 non-fiction book which describes the February 1945 bombing of Dresden in World War II. The book is based on a series of 37 articles written on the strategic bombing during World War II by David Irving called Wie Deutschlands Städte starben (English: How Germany's Cities Died) for the German journal Neue Illustrierte. The book became an...more
255 pages
Published by Focal Point Publications (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Destruction of Dresden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Destruction of Dresden

Manny
Why I Refuse to Read David Irving

Over the last few days, there have been extensive protests concerning the new Goodreads policy, which is widely interpreted to mean that people who post reviews criticizing authors are liable to have them deleted. The most visible of these protests is Mike's review of Mein Kampf, where Mike calls Adolf Hitler a dick and says he refuses to read his book. The review has already attracted more than 300 votes and 150 comments.

We all know that Hitler was a monster and...more
Clouds

I have no intention of reading this books because the author wears odd socks and refuses to give money to the homeless - even if they DANCE for it! Plus, I totally saw him making out with Brad in the Dog & Bull last week.

//Flagged, yes?

In support of this protest review by Manny.

My wife pointed out that my last protest review was focused on attributes of the author, rather than behaviours, which is apparently the type of thing that inspired our beloved new policy. They haven't yet removed my
Don
Have to read to believe as it sure is stated that the Victors are usually the ones to write the history books. Irving bucks that trend by giving a full account. Must read.

Horrible massive death and destruction. In most cases this was bad. Similar to the Fire Bombings that took place in Japan before the US unleashed the final two to end the war:the Fat Man and Little Boy.
Lyle
Well written account of the firebombing of the German city Dresden during WWII. Extensively researched, it helped settle in my mind whether the firebombing should be considered a war crime.
HORTA
"The first book I read about the Dresden bombing. I will probably have to re-read it now that the author has been pegged (fairly
No Remorse
A truly well re-searched and detailed account of the holocaust on the German people and hundreds of thousands of refugees bombed, fire-bombed, bombed for a third time and burned alive and machine gunned down in Dresden, Germany at the end of WWII. This is a book you might want to purchase two copies of; one to take a highlighter to, and the other; a clean edition for your historical book collection. Remember Dresden.

Notes:
*10pm February 13-14, 1945

*original Dresden Population: 630,000
+ Refugees

*...more
Rob
Meticulously detailed account of the Allied firebombing of Dresden which they roasted,baked and boiled alive 200,000 civilians over a 2 day period.
Lobstergirl
Sep 27, 2013 Lobstergirl marked it as zum-lesen  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Ron Rosenbaum
Shelves: european-history
Well I would like to read this, if my library system had it. It's kind of bewildering that they don't.
Ели
Ели marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Will Lloyd
Will Lloyd marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Erlènd
Erlènd marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Bobbie Messman
Bobbie Messman marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Omer
Omer marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
treus
treus marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Amr Hassan
Amr Hassan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Vlad
Vlad marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Brendan Boehning
Brendan Boehning is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2014
Luanus
Luanus marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
David Irving is a British historian, who is accused of trivializing the holocaust.

His books are mostly about the second world war and the Third Reich including topics like Josef Goebbels, Winston Churchill and the bombings of Dresden.

In 1996 Irving filed a libel lawsuit against Penguin books and lost, the judge finding Irving guilty of deliberate and gross distortions of history. This lawsuit res...more
More about David Irving...
Rommel: The Trail of the Fox (Wordsworth Military Library) Hitler's War Göring Goebbels: Mastermind of the Third Reich Nuremberg: The Last Battle