Start by marking “Innovation and Entrepreneurship” as Want to Read:
Innovation and Entrepreneurship

Innovation and Entrepreneurship

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  4,226 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Peter Drucker's classic book on This is the first book to present innovation and entrepreneurship as a purposeful and systematic discipline that explains and analyzes the challenges and opportunities of America's new entrepreneurial economy. Superbly practical, Innovation and Entrepreneurship explains what established businesses, public service institutions, and new ventur ...more
Published May 9th 2006 by HarperBusiness (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Innovation and Entrepreneurship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innovation and Entrepreneurship

Herve
Far from my previous post about Perkins, Peter Drucker’s book Innovation and Entrepreneurship was a paradoxical reading. The first chapters were painful even if brilliant. I understood there that innovation is a process which will be successful if carefully planned and managed. Fortunately, chapter 9 completely changed my perception when the author dealt with knowledge-based innovation, which includes innovations based on science and technology. So let me summarize the main points of this chapte ...more
Robert
Most people probably think that innovation and entrepreneurship is something that happens by chance or by magic. Reading this book by Peter Drucker should dispel this notion totally. Not only is innovation and entrepreneurship something that can be measured but it is something that can be learned.

The book initially provides definitions of what innovation and entrepreneurship is, what the different types and aspects of each are and where they are most likely to occur. Drucker then continues on wi
Nicholas
Babak
This is a very authoritative introduction to the subject of innovation. It is very well-written, although a bit heavy at points. Drucker has made an important contribution, as usual. The part on sources of innovation is very good and also exists as an HBR article.
David Garza
Jul 02, 2008 David Garza rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to David by: Pepperdine Business Program
Even though this book is relatively old, its principles apply in every era. Drucker presents innovation as an ageless art form, in which all that changes is the approach. Any business owner, or out of the box thinker, should definitely read this book.
Timothy Chklovski
This is the first book by Drucker that I've read, but definitely not the last.
Drucker is erudite; he reaches back hundreds of years and across continents to identify first introduction of one thing or another. Although Drucker's seminal contributions have shaped how large corporations in the US and Japan are managed, this work looks at a full spectrum of companies from large to small, and describes the kinds of innovation that succeed.
Drucker delights at debunking conventional wisdom or frequent
Ramy Khodeir
The necessary link between to essential disciplines required for the 21st century business enterprise
Jacob Mclaws
I picked this up with the intent to read it and have it under my belt so I could say I've read it just because it is a "classic". I expected a lot of out of date references and antiquated principles of innovation.

I did find A LOT of out of date references to companies that are no longer the innovation powerhouses that they once were (which just highlights the transient nature of being an innovation factory), but the principles and practices seem as true as ever and I don't think it is too bold
Maura
I sure wish there was a more recent version. This book would have earned another star if more of the examples had been drawn from the recent past. There were enough timeless examples from the past couple hundred years to make it a worthwhile read, though.

Some useful points:
*Look for the surprise successes and exploit them.

*Don't turn your nose up at unexpected uses for your product if it's selling. It doesn't matter if your happy customers are not the ones you wanted/intended.

*Company founders
Krishna Kumar
Long before the Innovator's Dilemma was written, here is Drucker with the same insights about why innovation must be treated as a special child by management, and the challenges faced by it in existing corporations. This review was written after I read the book for the second time (I had read it previously a few years back), and it is incredible how the contents seem more meaningful and relevant on the second reading.
Don Weidinger
high tech jobs 1/8, classical economics optimizes existing, capitalism is creative destruction, Cuba and Czech governments stopped installment buying, Germany could have won small car market with Beetle however unions blocked exporting jobs to US, fear of health in current generation is not grounded, DaVinci ideas of 1500’s, entrepreneurial judo, cycle welfare to entrepreneurial.
S
Interesting read, many examples to illustrate what Drucker is trying to convey.
Given that it was published awhile back, it is understandable that some examples have become irrelevant.
And ironically, companies in some of the examples for success have failed.
But c'est la vie!
Gregory Susinger
Concepts to consider if you care to develop your own business, product, or service. Key concepts as judo, fustest with the mostest, are worthwhile. Always interesting to hear the history of major business where and how the success and failure occurred.
Faisal Hoque
Most Impactful Business Book I Read.

“This defines entrepreneur and entrepreneurship – the entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.” ― Peter F. Drucker
Jomana Ismail
A must read for any one in business field. I would have rated it 5 if the examples are more recent but it is a book from 85 and the concepts are still valid.
Karthikeyan Somasundaram
Great book and gives a clear thought of how innovation is important for success in Entrepreneurship. Enjoyed reading this book
Max Ong Zong Bao
Great wisdom and insight on entrepreneurship and innovative from one of the founder of modern management
Mark Polino
25 years later Innovation and Entrepreneurship holds up just fine. The older examples still translate well. Drucker's idea of a window of entry for firms in knowledge based industries is a perfect fit for the search engine industry, even though Drucker cites railroads as a example since Google didn't exist when this book was written.

In short, it's still excellent and still relevant.
Gregg B. Jensen
It was a good read; it talks about different ways to find innovation, primarily by examining the unexpected. What I really like is how it talks about how big business is losing jobs, and how entrepreneurs and new business are driving the majority of new jobs today. Also, how companies must continuously innovate to survive.
Bernie May
Wish I could give it a higher rating. It's dense with brilliant, seminal ideas. And that's the problem. It's dense, it makes for a deliberate effort to read. Or maybe I just need to read more Drucker and raise the intellectual bar. Definitely on the re-read list, but not for a couple of years methinks.
Jim
The examples are a little (okay, very) dated, but the concepts are spot on. Drucker nailed it - and did so way ahead of the pack. 25 years later his call to build innovation and constant positive change into our organizations is still relevant, and dare I say needed in the business culture of 2010.
Frederick
High tech companies: "They still believe in Benjamin Franklin's dictum: 'If you invent a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door.' It does not yet occur to them to ask what makes a mousetrap 'better' or for whom?"
Justus
Theoretical approach to the problem, most likely great for execs and not a bad read for ideas to keep in mind, but not really geared to startups. Maybe dated, but even so, I really think its a good read even if not the most useful.
Polej
Hearing that book as audiobook gave me a boost towards really really deep changes of the most basic theory/schematics in my life. "All action comes from theory. To change action you have to change the theory" (or something like that)
Eddie
If you learn only one thing, it's that there are no "eureka!!" moments. Archimedes lied to us. Genius does not strike like lightning. Innovation is an iterative process, and there's no way around the fact that it's just hard work.
Joshua Steimle
Phenomenal! If you enjoy reading Clayton Christensen or Geoffrey Moore, you'll find this book to be one of the original sources of the thinking of those two bright men.
Brian
too dense and not very applicable to a wide range of businesses. Drucker is great for the corporate exec world but doesn't translate well to small businesses.
Fernando
Just a must. You should read this only if you aré into entrepreneirship. IT is a little bit dull. And maybe not as timeless as IT should be
Bjorn Hardarson
"Probably a must read for all studying the science and practice of Entrepreneurship by the Dean of Entrepreneurship "
Looking for Innovation Books 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 02:26AM
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • The Myths of Innovation
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepeneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
12008
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only writer ...more
More about Peter F. Drucker...
The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done The Essential Drucker Managing Oneself The Practice of Management Managing the Non-Profit Organization: Principles and Practices

“This defines entrepreneur and entrepreneurship - the entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.” 38 likes
“Entrepreneurship rests on a theory of economy and society. The theory sees change as normal and indeed as healthy. And it sees the major task in society - and especially in the economy - as doing something different rather than doing better what is already being done. That is basically what Say, two hundred years ago, meant when he coined the term entrepreneur. It was intended as a manifesto and as a declaration of dissent: the entrepreneur upsets and disorganizes. As Joseph Schumpeter formulated it, his task is "creative destruction.” 9 likes