Managing the Non-Profit Organization: Principles and Practices

Managing the Non-Profit Organization: Principles and Practices

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  42 reviews
An impressive bestseller and highly praised guide with clear and knowledgeable advice on the tasks, responsibilities, and practices non-profit organizations need to follow for effective management.
Published August 3rd 1992 by HarperBusiness (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Managing the Non-Profit Organization, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing the Non-Profit Organization

Jeff Mcneill
Drucker is fond of saying that Nonprofits need more management. He is also quite clear that they need in some ways a different kind of management, or management focused on different kinds of goals. This is an excellent book and includes articles from other authors from various types of Nonprofits. Drucker spent some time on this area and became involved with various nonprofits in advisory roles. This is not business management shoehorned into nonprofit shoes.
Vincent Chough
Drucker is a management master. This book is full of his wisdom as well as the wisdom and experience of other giants in the field (pastors, president of Girl Scouts, etc...). The most important message - that so many do NOT seem to get - is that a manager/director is a servant. I read this at least three times. Great book.
Pam Smith
Peter Drucker is acknowledged father of nonprofit management. The man is a legend and the insights in this book are why. Should be required reading for all those looking to work in a social service or advocacy organization. Frankly it's a must read for anyone in the nonprofit sector.
Mark
A good book to read for anybody in the nonprofit sector, no matter where you place in the chain of command. Great advice on maintaining donor relationships, cultivating a staff ad board of directors, managing volunteers, and more.
Michelle
Love it!!!
Michael
Jan 30, 2011 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Priests, non-profit managers, library students
Recommended to Michael by: Guy Robertson
This is a very useful book for people with little training in management, which is often the case for leaders in the non-profit sector. Drucker is typical of the "motivational"-type writer one encounters in the business world, and he is very good at providing advice and answers where they are needed. He is not especially scientific in his approach - most of the "evidence" in this book is purely anecdotal - but relied upon the type of "common sense" that has, in fact, proved more successful than...more
Kin
“Managing the non-profit organization,” is a helpful read for those who are new with managing the non-profit sector and desire to grasp a general idea of how to do their job. Aiming towards an audience with little management background, Peter Drucker applies deductive reasoning to shed light on what non-profit managers should do and why they should do so.

“Managing the non-profit organization” is the book that demolishes any narrow definition of management. It focuses on how charitable managers...more
Mayee
Having just started a small foundation, I found this book at the bookstore shelves and knowing how my friend loved Drucker, I picked it up to have a read, hoping it would help cast some insight on the foundation's teething issues. Over the years, working in the school, I've become a little familiar with management/organisation literature, and in my opinion, this book constituted light reading. Divided into sections dealing with the usual aspects of managing a non-profit institution (i.e. mission...more
Roger Lohmann
Written early in the history of the emergent field of nonprofit management. This book was first published in 1990 and reissued in a variety of subsequent editions; Nonprofit Management and Leadership began publication the year before and the Jossey-Bass Handbook came four years later. It is still worth a read for anyone working in or interested in this field. Whatever else you want to say, Drucker was very insightful about a lot of things and is probably more responsible than any other single in...more
Becca
The interview with Frances Hesselbein of the Girl Scouts was really interesting. To see the careful planning that went into expanding services to even more girls across America is enlightening - recognizing constituencies and opportunities to serve in order to innovate.

Vishnu
An interesting book. Probably most relevant to Executive Directors and CEOs of non-profits. For me, I guess it was helpful to get an idea of what my boss thinks about, and what I might have to think about one day if I try to run an organization.
Glenn Ardi
Bacaan wajib bagi siapapun yang sedang aktif berjuang dalam gerakan organisasi non-profit apapun.
Bridg8
Jun 14, 2011 Bridg8 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone managing or supervising within a non-profit
This is one of the best books about managing non-profit organizations. Drucker's book was on the reading list for the Historical Administration class I took in graduate school. I have used the principles not only in non-profit jobs I have had, but also in volunteer groups I have been a part of. Some of the ideas can be easily adapted to for-profit companies. I have recommended this book to my colleagues and friends on numerous occasions.
Drew Weatherton
I listened to the audio version of this which was done in an interview format (ISBN 1559945524). It was great to finally hear Peter Drucker, and the see how he responded to a variety of questions. The overarching topic may have been Non-Profit Organizations, but the information often applied broadly to any organization. I really enjoyed it, though the sound quality was not great.
Jill
Sep 04, 2009 Jill is currently reading it
My boss let me buy this book with the 'company credit card'. Could be that she feels my management skills are a little lack-luster, could be that she thinks my crisis management nerd style is just what she needs to make this place run more effectively? Doesn't matter. I suppose it doesn't matter, because I'm learning a lot and am really enjoying getting paid to read it.
Michael
This is a very good book. Drucker argues that the basic principles of nonprofit management are the same principles that for-profit companies need to use to remain profitable. A good companion piece to Good to Great, Drucker also argues for a vision and mission, get good at one or two things and focus relentlessly on excellence.
Evan Knight
Things I learned
Non profits fizzel out because of lack of innovation. (Doing Great with the ideas)
Non profits don't ask as much from their people because they are not being paid (ask you can say no)
Non profits worry about the rules to much and don't worry about the purpose enough (don't get caught up in the bylaws)
Martha
Currently reading this one, although its a classic in many schools of thought. I'm enjoying it so far and finding many references to our MC Leadership Classes...there's a Max Dupree interview in Ch. 1! Hopefully this book will be helpful as we move forward with Troy Community Works!
Eric
I have to admit... for being such a "classic", I found this book to be nearly unreadable. It felt almost like spontanenous, stream-of-consciousness writing. While there may be gems hidden among the words, I found the lack of a coherent outline and "story" very off-putting.
Clarice
So far a pretty informative book, probably one I'll keep past my college days...I like the way the book was written with interviews in each chapter, and a summary at the end of each chapter, very useful info for anyone interested in the non profit sector.
Ahmad Abugosh
A great book for those working in the non-profit industry. I particular found "the things to avoid" portion very useful, as Drucker is very practical when talking about the issues. I found the interview chapters a bit boring though.
Mohammed Belyamani
series of interviews and interventions... applied challenges for the non profit organizations. What is the strategy, the customer (a lot of insight here), the management, the intelligences of the non profit organizations...
Debbie
This book is considered a classic among non-profit professionals for a reason. It is easy to read and easy to understand. Drucker offers simple but sensible techniques for being an effective non-profit manager.
Debbie
Anthony Molaro
All librarians and nonprofit managers (even for-profit managers) need to read this book. You can probably skip the interviews, as they don't add much and seem to be filler.
michelle
Written from a conservative, for profit perspective. Very strict. Not sure everything would be applicable in the nonprofit sector. Important perspective though.
Christian
Nov 20, 2011 Christian marked it as to-read
Shelves: experiential
I got this book to help me become a better Chairman of the board that I sit on. So far, it has been a big help. I will update this review when I finish the book.
Lawrence
The primary task of an ER. Assessment. Triage. Within the first 5 minutes. Tell people they are okay and don't need to be in the ER.
Peter McDonald
Peter Drucker is a must read for those working in the "For Purpose" Sector (NFP). I encountered Drucker while studying at Adelaide Uni
Nicholas
Not that it was bad, just that I finished with it before it ended. Very simplistic, which some would surely appreciate.
  • Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High Impact Nonprofits (J-B US non-Franchise Leadership)
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change
  • The Loss of the Ship Essex, Sunk by a Whale
  • The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
  • Civilisation
  • The Ocean World (Abradale)
  • Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet
  • The Man Who Walked Through Time: The Story of the First Trip Afoot Through the Grand Canyon
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Shackleton's Boat Journey
  • The Great Hurricane: 1938
  • Admiral of the Ocean Sea: A Life of Christopher Columbus
  • The Future of Management
  • Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company
  • PT 109
12008
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only writer...more
More about Peter F. Drucker...
The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done The Essential Drucker: The Best of Sixty Years of Peter Drucker's Essential Writings on Management Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles The Practice of Management Managing Oneself

“The three most charismatic leaders in this century inflicted more suffering on the human race than almost any trio in history: Hitler, Stalin, and Mao. What matters is not the leader's charisma. What matters is the leader's mission.” 18 likes
“The "non-profit" institution neither supplies goods or services not controls. Its "product" is neither a pair of shoes nor an effective regulation. Its product is a changed human being. The non-profit institutions are human-change agents. Their "product" is a cured patient, a child that learns, a young man or woman grown into a self-respecting adult; a changed human life altogether.” 6 likes