Fatal Secrets: A Novel of Suspense

Fatal Secrets: A Novel of Suspense (FBI Trilogy #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,115 ratings  ·  73 reviews
DEADLY QUEST

When a top lieutenant in a notorious ring of human traffickers agrees to turn state’s evidence, Immigration and Customs Enforcement senior agent Sonia Knight believes she’ll finally take down the illegal operation’s devilish mastermind, Xavier Jones. But when an FBI sting on Jones’s criminal enterprise collides with an ICE stakeout, Sonia is enraged: Her infor...more
Published May 19th 2009 by Ballantine (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Secrets

Duchess Nicole
Another pseudo-romance in this romantic suspense. It was a great novel, but again, I get the feeling that the non-existent build up to this relationship was almost an afterthought for this author. Definitely more of a thriller/suspense than romance.

It's frustrating to me that if this had been written by a man, this would never have been thrown under the cloak of a romance novel.

Anyways...the subject of this FBI investigation is sex trafficking, so the subject matter is not for the faint of hear...more
Cindi
Fatal Secrets made me cry. Not what you normally expect from a mistress of suspense like Allison Brennan, right? This book is of the same outstanding quality as her others, this storyline is filled with twists and turns galore, and I just loved the realistic characters in it. I guess that may be what made me cry: this is a novel about human trafficking, which is very REAL, very serious! The heroine, Sonia Knight, was in fact herself a victim of this way-too-profitable crime; when she was 13 her...more
Bigd_041555
Great read - the heroine is a likeable character, a bit too sensitive for her line of work, but she uses her weakness to do the job. She deals in finding and arresting the scum that deal in human trafficking - a very despicable trade, in my opinion.

A bit of angst and a bit of romance (another one right up your alley Kjen), great detective work, and really bad guys that you just love to hate!

2 thumbs up and 4 stars - Allison Brennan weaves a good story!
Ryann Murphy
ICE agent Sonia Knight is a survivor. She fought back when she was sold as a child and almost caught in the world of human trafficking. Now she fights for those that can't fight for themselves. She's on a stakeout watching a major player when the FBI arrives and she meets Special Agent Dean Hooper (yowsa). They recognize the strength and confidence in each other right away but soon they begin to be more than just partners.

Once again, Brennan pulls you into a story full of both tragedy and hope....more
Ingo
Started April 06th, 2014.
( Currently in mad rush getting up-to-date with a few series from Allison Brennan )
Hm, again just 4 stars for the ending being again predictable and too much romance. Just over 3 stars, would have given 3.7 stars if possible.
The story is rather brutal, with torture and a high body-count. The romance was ok and felt real, but a bit long and too much, with one or two simple, non-kinky sex-scenes thrown in.
The problem of human trafficking is described with a lot of insight...more
Jay Jessmer
Not quite as good as the first book in the "FBI" trilogy, but a solid read nonetheless. I couldn't quite get the attatchment to the main characters as in other Brennan works, but they carried the story nicely enough. I liked Sonia, but I found Dean to be a little stiff and got no real connection to him. I actuallt related more to Charlie than Dean.
The dialogue of the investigation got a little confusing to me at times, and I found myself having to go back and re-read some of it to put things t...more
Andrea Corley
For a more in depth review, please visit my blog, Chorley Chronicals, by clicking HERE!

I really enjoyed the first book of the FBI Trilogy, Sudden Death, so I automatically thought that I would have a 5-star read with Fatal Secrets, however, that was not quite the case. I can't say that I hated the book and had a really hard time getting through it, however, I can't say that I loved the book, or even that I really liked the book, thus the 3 star rating! Could I give it half ratings, I would give...more
Stephanie (Once Upon a Chapter)
Pattianne
Fatal Secrets - FBI Trilogy #2 - (Dean and Sonia) - When a top lieutenant in a notorious ring of human traffickers agrees to turn state’s evidence, Immigration and Customs Enforcement senior agent Sonia Knight believes she’ll finally take down the illegal operation’s devilish mastermind, Xavier Jones. But when an FBI sting on Jones’s criminal enterprise collides with an ICE stakeout, Sonia is enraged: Her informant’s life and her evidence are in grave jeopardy. FBI agent Dean Hooper has been cha...more
Reen
Another great crime thriller from AB. The topic of Human Trafficking might put some people off, but I found it was well researched and handled well. The heroine, Immigration and Customs Agent Sonia Knight, was a victim of human trafficking herself and has made it her mission to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. Knight meets Special Agent Dean Hooper and they work together to bring down the players in this cell. Brennan pulls you into a heart-wrenching story that is hopeful and hon...more
Joyce
Well plotted and gripping. This is the story of an ICE agent who started out as a victim of human trafficking. Naturally her goal is to destroy and/or imprison all traffickers. Since this is partially chick lit, there is also a tall, dark, handsome and macho FBI agent with whom she becomes involved. There are sufficient bad-doers to keep everyone enthralled to the end. Good weekend reading.
Silver James
Fatal Secrets: A Novel of Suspense is an up-all-night read! The "alphabet agencies" of the federal government don't always play nice with each other. This is especially true of the various law enforcement agencies. When ICE agent Sonia Knight is embroiled in a case that involves Dean Hooper, an assistant director with the FBI, sparks fly--on the case, in the office, and behind closed doors. Sonia has up-close-and-personal experience with human traffickers. She wants to take them down the hard wa...more
Wendy
May 09, 2014 Wendy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mary Golden
I'm still reading this book and so far it is really good. If it were not for my eyes getting heavy I think I could read this in a few days.
Dad4525
New author for me this is the 2nd book in the series that I have read and have enjoyed both books so far.
Barb Wittwer
Great book! A mystery with romance! Well done without sex!
Mary
Fatal Secrets is the second book in the 'FBI' series but is actually a stand-alone book. The main characters are Sonia Knight, an ICE agent and Dean Hooper, an FBI agent. They meet when Dean's task force almost ruins Sonia's investigation of the suspected head of a human trafficing ring. They share an immediate attraction but must get through the investigation and stay alive. Sonia also has some baggage to get over.

I like Allison Brennan's books but they are edgy with nasty villains. This is a...more
laura m
Sep 15, 2013 laura m rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any bored person that has already read author's books and didn't give up yet
new character in the last part of the trilogy, practically no ties to previous parts, brave!
the main male character was totally dull and two-dimensional, nothing what could interest readers in him, we get to know more about his physical appearance than anything else and I kept hoping the female would find some other love interest (maybe her old mentor?) but to no avail.
classical twist, danger, sex, supervillain falls with almost no strugle, big happy family, end
predictable, easy, simple read.
Nancy
I expected to like this book much more than I did, and it's entirely possible that my study of writing techniques has influenced my enjoyment of this story. Other, non-writers, might not have the same difficulty with this book.
I found the plot a bit predictable and simple and some of the character reactions unbelievable. I also did not like the very large amount of, what felt like, unnecessary backstory so early in the story.
Again, non-writers might not have a problem with any of this.
Megan
As far as romantic suspense goes, this one had a better romance plot than you get with most books. The subplot with Charlie was necessary, but I don't think it was done well enough...he almost could have been completely written out of the story, except the author felt at least one character should show growth. I felt no attachment to any of the characters and the book just kept going on - it took forever to wrap up to a conclusion.
Barbara ★
Sonia Knight survived a sex slave ring when she was 13 and after finding a wonderful foster family went on to work for INS saving young girls and boys from the same fate. On an intense investigation into the slave trade, she joins up with FBI agent Dean Hooper and the sparks fly.

This is a very suspenseful and exciting book regardless of the topic. I especially liked the cat and mouse antics between Dean and Sonia.
Darcy
Mar 23, 2011 Darcy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I did like this book and do think that these types of crimes are horrific, but it seemed we were inundated with facts of trafficking time and time again.

I sort of admired Sonia, but didn't really like her. She was so obsessed with her job it seemed to define her and not in a good way. I also thought that Dean was blah.

I more enjoyed seeing more of the Rogan's, who we have heard quite a bit of with in these books.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in the FBI Trilogy by Allison Brennan. Sonia Knight is an ICE agent and a survivor. FBI agent Dean Hooper is after the mastermind of a human trafficking ring. They are forced to join forces to defeat the bad guys.

Exciting, edge of your seat suspense. Lacks the romance from the older Allison Brennan's books but the suspense makes up for it.
JazzRizz
What a tough subject that this book revolves around. I love reading/listening to books that broadens my understanding of the darker crimes that fail to make the front pages.

I really enjoyed the 2nd book in this trilogy. While bits of the book were very predictable, I loved the interaction of Dean & Sonia.

I'm looking forward to listening to the last book in this trilogy.
Amber(Shyloh)
This book has mixed emotions for me. I really liked the suspense aspect of it, and thought she did a great job of going into detail about the crime element, and I loved Sonia. I didn't like how many of the main characters had multiple aliases, it made it confusing in some areas, I also thought it was drug out way too long, the book could have been shorter.
Susan
My cleaning lady told me to read this, my first and last venture into the so called genre of romantic thrillers.
Rachel
Jacque
Sonia has.survived being a victim of human trafficking and now is an ICE agent. She fights to stop the men and women who deal in humans. The stories are heartbreaking at times, so this romantic suspense is very emotional. The characters were sympathetic and likable and the mystery was compelling.
Tomi
Good suspense book - easy reading with plenty of action. This book is about human-trafficking, all too relevant in today's world. I enjoyed reading it, although I could live without the sex scenes (I skip those pages!) and thought the epilogue predictable and trite. The ending was a great touch though!
Maureen
This book was more than a little disappointing. I was under the impression that the days of male chauvinists as hero of a book were long gone. So, too, I had hoped that the heavy-handed and benevolent boss were disappearing. It is unfortunate that .a strong female has to be diminished
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6)
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
  • Cry Mercy (Mercy Street #2)
  • The Murder Game (Griffin Powell, #8)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Don't Let Go (SEAL Team 12, #5)
  • Make Her Pay (Bullet Catcher, #8)
  • Guns and Roses (Includes: PI Julie Collins; Bobbie Faye, #3.5; Rough Riders; Bullet Catcher; Shadow Stalkers, #3; Housewife Assassin)
Allison Brennan is the New York Times bestselling and award-winning author of twenty romantic thrillers and many short stories. RT Book Reviews calls Allison “a master of suspense” and her books “haunting,” “mesmerizing,” “pulse-pounding” and “emotionally complex.” Lisa Gardner says, “Brennan knows how to deliver.”

The first book of the Maxine Revere investigative reporter series, NOTORIOUS, is av...more
More about Allison Brennan...
Speak No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #1) The Prey (Predator Trilogy, #1) See No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #2) Love Me to Death (Lucy Kincaid #1) Fear No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #3)