Start by marking “Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6)” as Want to Read:
Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6)

Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide #6)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  871 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Once a Wall Street hotshot, Jacobia “Jake” Tiptree chucked it all for a charmingly dilapidated fixer-upper in the tiny town of Eastport, Maine. She was certain she’d left the dangers of city life behind—until she discovered that no place, no matter how idyllic and peaceful it may appear, is safe from murder.

It began with the mysterious disappearance of Harriet Hollingswor
Published November 4th 2003 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Unhinged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unhinged

Jan C
I enjoy these stories about Jacobia Tiptree and her friend Ellie White. At the beginning she falls off a ladder and goes with a slight concussion and a bunch of bruises, changing as the days go by. When she is finally dragged into her ex-husband’s clinic, of course she doesn’t tell him all of her symptoms. Then, a bunch of accidents keep happening, to her husband, to her son, a woman gets electrocuted, a missing woman is located in the walls of a house. She does from many suspects to almost none ...more
Kirsti
I enjoyed the first few pages of this, but I gave up on it around page 75. Too chatty and meandering for me.
Barbara
I am enjoying reacquainting myself with this Sarah Graves series. I read a few of them before and enjoyed them, but lost touch somewhere along the way. I decided to read them (and reread them in some cases) in order now, though you really don’t have to read them in order to enjoy the books.

I’ve come to realize Jake and Ellie are a bit meddlesome and are busybodies to some degree. For some reason, though, they don’t annoy me as many cozy heroines do. Maybe it’s the fact that there’s a lot of tal
msjones Jones
I'm continuing to work my way through this series. And by continuing, I mean that I've read them all since the first book. And by work, I mean pleasurable quick reads. And by series I mean, dear heavens woman! How much longer do you think you can keep this up? I want to know, so I'll continue reading.

The fun of this one was that the danger to Jake was actually a little scary. Lots of stormy nights, flickering lights, being alone with the wrong person at the wrong time. Here, she actually sets up
Linda Rawlins
Unhinged by Sarah Graves is the sixth book of the Home Repair is Homicide Mystery Series. When Jacobia Tiptree and her best friend Ellie are not in the midst of home repair, they are in the midst of murder, mystery and intrigue. Jacobia, or Jake previously lived in NY as a financial expert for shady clients and now lives on Moose Island in Eastport, Maine. Unhinged begins when Harriet Hollingsworth, Eastport's snoopiest resident, disappears without a trace. Soon after, accidents and bodies begin ...more
Amanda
My favorite Jacobia Tiptree book so far! It strted out a bit shaky, jumping back and forth between one scene and another, but straightened itself out soon enough. I hate spoilers, so I won't say much, but this had one of the most satisfying endings I've read in a long time.
Dogsmom Laura
This mystery was a bit more complex than previous books I have read in the series. You have the same characters, and things seem to build from one book to the next. (I have not been reading them in exact order.)
I appreciate the background on Sam and Maggie and while you still think things there could progress, it is not a simple relationship.
In this book you appreciate Victor more than previous ones.
I did find some details difficult to digest the first time and flipped back a few pages now and
Linda
This was probably the best murder mystery so far. Jacobia finally meets up with her Father, who went missing the day of the big explosion that killed her Mother and she thought her Father. And she thinks she has met the man who saved her life that day when she was a mete child.
Katherine Dennihy
Coming in the middle of a series isnt always the best idea. I thought this was a pretty good mystery. I wasn't expecting the plot twist. I would read more from this author.
Michele
when I started this book, I thought I had figured out who the bad guy was right off the bat. I was right in who he was in relation to the characters, but totally and completely wrong about his good vs. bad. However, even knowing what it turns out I knew did nothing to diminish this book. The added layer to the main character was very well done and happened at the right time. I love this series!
☯Emily
I'd love to share with you why I thought this book was just okay and received 2 stars on Goodreads and 2.5 stars on Booklikes. However, as I'm not sure how I might step over Goodread's invisible line for appropriate, on-topic content, I will refrain until such time as the guidelines are made clear, easily accessible, and announced to all members.

Valerie Curtis
I really can't be sure how I feel about this book. I enjoyed the mystery, I think I enjoyed the characters. I'm wondering if I liked the writing? I seemed to have gotten lost a few times - I didn't know what they were referring to, or what was going on. I think I'll start with book one. Then I can get a better feel of the writing.
Margaret
I like these complex plots and the Maine setting. I also like the reader, since I've been listening to them. The pretense of do it yourself is getting a little thin, as Jacobia spends most of her time solving murders and the jobs on her house seem to be getting farmed out to others more and more.
Cheryl
One of the weaker Jake Tiptree novels, but it gives a real flavor of Maine, clearly written by someone who loves Eastport. The characters are fun, and the plot, although weak, was enjoyable. I can empathize as Jake fixes one repair only to find another problem!
Jay
Great book. I've read a couple in this series, all have been good. Lots of twists and turns, you don't know until the end whodunnit. There's always several suspects that are plausible. And Sarah Graves does a good job a character development.
Jojo
A home repair nut that I can relate to, jacobia is a seasoned character playing at small-town sleuth. The harbor-town setting and iconic characters keep this hard- broiled mystery afloat. I enjoy the pace but find some of the plot hard to follow.
Amanda
Consistently quality storytelling, whodunits that still have me guessing wrong, and continued solid character development are what keep me coming back to this fun series of books! That and a great narrator on the audio version!
Lynda
This series gets better and better. Elements of Jacobia's past are revealed and figure predominantly in the plot. I missed some of the murderer's clues but picked up immediately on another important plot twist.
Cindy
A psyco in Eastport! Holy Terror Batman! I love reading this author as I live very close to Eastpor, travel and shop there often and am totally in awe at how comfortable this read is for me.
Caroline
I really enjoyed this Sarah Graves series but the later (more recent) ones have taken a strange turn and I'm not enjoying them as much. Still in all, a good read with characters I know and like.
Olgalijo
Pretty much on par with most of the series. I had made the mistake of reading one of the later books before this and Iwas really looking forward to the development at the end of this one.
Margaret
A "home repair mystery" book! Jake investigates a murder and series of accidents involving her own family. You get some clues but not too much. Great humor, fun book.

Lester
A fine and dandy quick read. Just requested 4 more Sarah Graves books from the library.
Pat
Great story. I do enjoy this series but I have to recommend that the books be read in order or as close as possible. They build on previous adventures.
Francesca Hurley
i love these books. they may not make sense sometimes, but the house-fixing tips that jake gives at the beginning of the chapter is extreamly helpful.
Marcia
Lots of action! Some of Jacobia's early history is explained. Strangers are not what they seem. As always, some repairs get started on her old house.
Estella
I am really enjoying this (Home Repair is Homicide) series. Sarah Graves really knows her way around a cozy mystery plot. Can't wait to read #7!
Mare
This series just continues to get better. All of the characters continue to flesh out and bring more intersting interaction as the series continues.
Janet
Pretty good, I really like this series. The characters are very smart and funny and Sarah writes in very good twists.
Karen Hufman
I enjoyed it - Jake is awesome at fixing up houses and a mystery ends up happening in her small town.
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Gaits of Heaven (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #17)
  • You May Now Kill the Bride (Carnegie Kincaid, #5)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Antiques Knock-Off (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #5)
  • Daughter of Deceit (Family Tree, #3)
  • Howl Deadly (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #8)
  • Love is Murder (Daytime Mystery, #1)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #4)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)
  • Christietown (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #4)
  • Getting Old Is the Best Revenge (Gladdy Gold, #2)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • Berried to the Hilt (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #4)
Sarah Graves lives with her husband John, a musician and luthier, and their black Labrador Retriever in a house very much like the one Jacobia Tiptree is remodeling in Eastport, Maine. When she's not writing Jake's adventures, Sarah works with her husband on the house and she plays the 5-string banjo.

Series:
* Home Repair is Homicide
More about Sarah Graves...
The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1) Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2) Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3) Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5) Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)