Start by marking “Diggers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Diggers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #2)

Diggers (Bromeliad Trilogy #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  6,991 ratings  ·  99 reviews
The nomes are ready for their Bright New Dawn!But the trouble with Bright New Dawns is that they're usually followed by cloudy days. With scattered showers. Life Outside the Store is much colder than the four-inch-tall nomes expected. And there aren't any walls . . . it's all very unsettling.

Still, the nomes are finally adjusting to their new home at the abandoned quarry,
Published April 1st 2004 by HarperTrophy (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Diggers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diggers

Andrew
Another great book in the series - what more can I really say that was not started with Truckers but I will say this - the story is a little more maturer this time - characters seem to have grown up as well as the storyline they inhabit. The tale is still enthralling to young and old and still has the sense of mischief that Pratchett is so famous for.
Qt
A fitting sequel to the first book! I thought it was just as engaging and interesting.
Graham
A good, fun follow-up to TRUCKERS. Essentially, this trilogy is the Terry Pratchett version of THE BORROWERS, told in his own inimitable style (and, of course, with plenty of humour along the way).

I'm not the ideal target market for this book - unlike the Discworld novels, it's clearly aimed at younger readers - but nevertheless it's a quirky and exceptionally fast-paced read. I had it polished off after only a couple of sessions.

The story picks directly up from DIGGERS and, as far as I can tell
Geert Daelemans
The in-between book

Now that Masklin and Torrit have left to explore the place where those big metal things take off into the air, Grimma has to fend for herself. That is, she has to take care of the nomes that have taken shelter at the quarry. But they are not alone. A very insistent human being is trying to invade their place. Grimma has to be creative to keep that pesky big annoyances away, but is afraid that they ultimately will have to flee to The Cottage. Luckily Dorcas, the techno geek of
Chris
Enjoyed this one too. The Nomes find themselves living in an old, abandoned quarry but they realise it isn't going to stay abandoned much longer because the humans want the rocks to build new roads. Masklin, Gurder and a few others go off looking for Grandson (39) in Florida juice (you kind of need to read it to get the reference) but also because Masklin knows he will be flying on a plane and The Thing has told him they originally came from out space. The last we see of these fellows is heading ...more
Konain
A let down. After such a ripping start in the first book, a real let down. When a writer comes up with a brilliant idea of a setting, the novelty generally wears down in the second book. Hence, the writer has to come up with a better effort even to reach the level of the first one. But over here, I'm afraid Pratchett's heart wasn't in it. The storyline was weak. The quips Pratchett is famous for were scarce. (view spoiler) ...more
Cristina Boncea
*Aproape că am avut un atac de panică - am crezut că nu am luat și volumul III cu mine*

Cartea asta, spre mică diferență de prima, e într-adevăr perfectă. Să povestesc.

Deci nomii s-au stabilit în Cariera asta de piatră doar că prin hotărârea Consiliului Local, oamenii se întorc acolo. Deci nomii trebuie să plece. Dar unde? Ideea ar fi în hambar dar Feștilă cel religios nu e de acord. Feștilă moare călcat de camion, cel mai probabil. Piuliță și alți nomi se urcă într-un camion care sfârșește într-
Zana
Sometimes I wish I could return to that time when I could read a good story and not throw it across the room because the author had an agenda and that agenda was well-meant-but-offensive. Terry Pratchett's agenda in this book is: girls can be heroes too. But only if they're nice and say please and thank you (yes, literally) and aren't too demanding or abrasive. Then they don't deserve rights or respect.

Thank God he's made some progress in the last 24 years, is all I'm saying.
Deborah
Brilliant. The leaders disappear on a mission and people who didn't expect to find themselves leaders have to take on the job. Very funny, with lots of shrewd observation of crowd behaviour and political manipulation. Plus of course it's about Nomes. If you haven't got hold of a copy of Truckers, don't worry, Diggers will stand on its own on a first reading (although obviously it's loads better if you read Truckers first).
Wallowing Hippo
DaisyGirl
4.0 Stars

A solid installment in the Bromeliad Trilogy. When we catch up with the nomes, they have settled in an abandoned quarry. Masklin still believes that they are meant to return to their mother ship and sets off to the airport in the hopes of hitching a plane ride to Florida. Therefore, most of book two is told from Dorcas and Ginny's POVs.

Bottom line: Still engaged ... moving on to book 3.
Susan Ferguson
This is the second book in the Bromeliad trilogy. The nomes have left The Store and have found a home in an abandoned quarry. Grimma has learned to read and is doing some serious thinking. Which has upset M? because he thinks it is time they married and settled down together now that everything is resolved. They have had to teach the others about Outside with the help of Granny Morkie. M keeps thinking about and talking to the Thing which tells him of the past. Then they learn that the quarry is ...more
Aelvana
Wow. It has a lot of similarities to Truckers, including the whole driving bit at the end, but it still has a lot of good things to say about making a small bit of the world the whole world, what makes a leader, and why humans should think twice about bugging little four-inch people from outer space. Highly recommended.
Petya
Oddly enough, it is a children's novel. So maybe this is why I didn't like it that much. Pratchett's style of writing is there, very easy to spot, fun and enjoyable as always, but noticeably simpler, kind of less intriguing, less challenging.

Or maybe it's just because this is Book 2 of a trilogy and I haven't got the 2 other ones :)
Or maybe I am just too big a fan of the Discworld so I was slightly, secretly disappointed from the beginning that the story isn't set there.

However, the religious
Robert
Looking at it with hindsight, you see a lot of ideas in the Bromeliad trilogy that Pratchett would return to again and again. The nomes, precursors to the Wee Free Men, but a bit more grounded and less boisterous. The scripture, that Small Gods would perfect as a source of mirth. The philosophising about the nature of people, groups, mobs, leadership, that Vimes and Vetinari and even Tiffany Aching would run into again and again.

All that said, I also see now why Diggers did not leave much of an
Robinson
Secuela de Camioneros. Siguen las peripecias de los gnomos por encontrar su hogar definitivo. La historia sigue al mismo nivel que la anterior. Divertida, hilarante e irreverente.
Werehare
7/10

Un po' meno divertente del precedente, in quanto si è persa la novità dell'ambientazione su cui si fondava gran parte della genialità del volume 1, ma comunque meritevole di lettura. Vagamente fastidiosa la chiarezza con cui Pratchett spinge nella direzione delle "pari opportunità per uomini e donne": sono perfettamente d'accordo con lui, sia chiaro, però non mi piace quando un romanzo perde di compattezza in favore di un messaggio morale, per quanto questo sia giusto; per restare all'intern
Jani
When looking for comfort, Terry Pratchett's books are a good source, at least for me. While I hadn't read this one before, as the non-discworld books are the ones I aren't as familiar with, I found plenty of what I was looking for in the usual stylings and witty, but relaxed, humour of this young adults-oriented work of his. Once again, there were quips, puns and naivety to fill an interested mind, but also sentences that seemed to encompass so much wisdom about the human condition that some phi ...more
David Gallagher
I remember my mom read this book to me while I had the flu when I was 10 or so (why did my mom only get me books when I was sick?) and since it's been such a long time since then, I hardly remember this book. But I do remember it made me travel with it, and I do remember I sympathized with the characters and their struggles. The writing was of course impeccable and maybe a little confusing for me, but I still related to the story to a great degree. This book is significant to me because it must ...more
Juan M
La segunda parte de esta saga de Pratchett. No sigas leyendo si no haz leído el primero, igual trataré de reducir los spoilers (igual no entenderás el por qué de algunas cosas jaja).
En este libro ya nos encontramos con un ambiente nuevo... la cueva. Nuestros amigos tendrán que aprender a vivir allí, al mismo tiempo que La Cosa tiene "trabajo" para ellos. La vida progresa en la cantera que habitan, pero el ritmo que lograron conseguir se ve alterado por la visita de humanos y un cartel que los po
LOL_BOOKS
MY FAVORITE PTERRY BOOKS FROM WHEN I WAS A BB MEMER AREN'T IN THE ZIP :( NOBODY REMEMBERS THE NOME TRILOGY.
Ian Banks
Another one that I whipped through. Fun and funny with Sir Terry's usual digressions into higher matters.
Nathan
Great read! Enjoyed it almost as much as the first - I think it moved a bit too fast in the wrong places and didn't spend enough time setting up the nomes' new world, I would have liked to hear a lot more about their adaption to life in the quarry. The climax of the story was somewhat similar to the first one, but that was fine. I felt it got a bit glossed over though, could have been bigger and more dramatic.
Was still good though, the progression of ideas from the first book was very smooth and
Meo
The second part of the Bromeliad Trilogy (more popularly called "Nome Time" when getting the little ones to bed), which shunts Masklin and Gurder - heroes of the first outing - off-screen for the majority of the book, leaving Grimma, Dorcas and sundry others to discover that humans want their quarry back, and learning how to use the old dragon Jekub to help them escape their situation. Funny, poignant and life-affirming, it pays homage to Gulliver's Travels in one amusing sequence, whilst mainta ...more
Debbie Tink
These are good books love them, Diggers are the Middle book.
Rodie King
This was the borrowers in science fiction
Quinton
What a fun read! Short and enjoyable. Part two of the trilogy. Well worth it, if you enjoy some entertaining escapism.
Rebecca Trotter
I have found another favorite author!
Imma
I can't wait for the next installment.
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Bill, the Galactic Hero on the Planet of the Robot Slaves (Bill, #2)
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • Tintin in the New World: A Romance
  • Thomas (The Deptford Histories, #3)
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1959-1962
  • My Hero
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • A Dog Called Demolition

More about Terry Pratchett...

Bromeliad Trilogy (3 books)
  • Truckers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #1)
  • Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy, #3)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” 16948 likes
“That’s what being alive is, Thing! It’s being badly prepared for everything! Because you only get one chance, Thing!” 9 likes