Start by marking “Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9)” as Want to Read:
Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9)

Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas #9)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  369 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The inimitable librarian/sleuth Miss Wilhelmina Helma Zukas is back in this ninth mystery, returning to flirt with Police Chief Wayne Gallant and to solve another crime while in the throes of a mid-life crisis. Original.
Published June 1st 2006 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Bookmarked to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bookmarked to Die

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
430th out of 1,368 books — 1,501 voters
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Best Bibliomystery Books
28th out of 127 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Cherie
May 06, 2012 Cherie added it
I had a problem staying in this book-just couldn't get interested or into the characters.
Emily
Mar 30, 2009 Emily rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-general
One star instead of zero, because I did finish the book, and that deserves something.

The excerpt in the front was funny. The title was great. I thought I had found a nice new mystery series to share with my mystery-loving mother and grandmother. Not so.

Putting aside issues with the prose and plot (kinda important for this genre), the heroine was horrible. Not an intentionally flawed type of horrible, just horrible. I thought it dredged up so many bad stereotypes of librarians . . . and single wo
Barbara
May 04, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it
I was crest-fallen to find that not everyone is in love with Miss Zukas. I read some other reviews where her character got bashed for the very things I love about her. She is a stereotype of a librarian, not a full flesh-and-blood person, says the gloom-and-doom spokesperson. Well, yes, that's the point, isn't it?

Real librarians have many ordinary human characteristics. They certainly don't all mimic Miss Zukas or her somewhat flawed fellow librarians. After all, two of her coworkers (years apa
Babs
Oct 16, 2007 Babs rated it really liked it
Two murders in as many nights is unheard of in Bellehaven. Miss Helma Zukas, local librarian and part-time sleuth tries to stay out of the fray but her boss (Miss May Apple Moon)puts her right in the middle of it.

Helma's character is a librarian who is tidy, organized, controlled, and in charge of her emotions. Her best friend, Ruth is just the opposite. Ruth is an artist, unorganized, living from one creative outlet to the other, and emotionally a mess.

But, Helma and Ruth are childhood friends
Penny
Oct 16, 2015 Penny rated it it was ok
I picked up this book at our local library book sale. I was hopeful for finding a good new series after judging the book by it's cover. I finished the book but I will not choose others in the series. The characters and writing style did not engage me.
Stephanie
Nov 24, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was ok
My mom sent me this -- she'd gotten an autographed copy at a mystery book story event. She thought I'd like it because the main character is a librarian and it was set in the Pacific NW. While I enjoyed some of the elements of the book (the main character, her crazy arty best friend, the library setting and details), I was not impressed by the writing (or the editing!) -- there were too many awkward transitions and obvious plot points for me to feel that this is a writer I will take up. However, ...more
Hannah Jo Parker
Apr 27, 2008 Hannah Jo Parker rated it really liked it
I met Jo Dereske at the PLA Conference where she signed a copy of this book for me. I had never read her before, but we have lots of patrons at our library who adore her. Well, I am now a member of that club. Jo Dereske was wonderful and so was her book. As a public librarian who used to live in Bellingham (the model for the book's fictional setting of Bellehaven), how could I not love this book?! Okay, I'm not usually a mystery reader, and certainly not a cozy mystery reader, but I am now a Jo ...more
Cindy
Jul 23, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Entertaining; not to difficult to solve.
Spuddie
Jun 10, 2011 Spuddie rated it it was amazing
#9 Helma Zukas mystery. Helma's forty-second birthday comes around and leaves her feeling a little out of sorts, especially when Chief of Police, Wayne Gallant, doesn't send a card or gift or even acknowledge the day. Distracted as she is, Helma still has time to investigate the deaths of a couple of Local Authors who have attended a meeting at the library to spotlight their works. She's also busy looking for her cat, whom Helma's friend Ruth managed to lose. Enjoyable visit to Bellehaven and th ...more
Kristi
This one struck me as a very average cozy. Nothing particularly unique or interesting about it to set it apart, but not bad. I did have two points untangled relatively early though.

While I don't normally read series out of order, I got this one free on Kindle and gave it a go even though it was book 9. Given that it wasn't a first book in a series, I probably won't go out of my way to read more from the series.
Laurie
Feb 22, 2013 Laurie rated it it was ok
Everything about this series is great, location, title, premise.....except the writing. One does read this for an occasional quip or other silliness. Sadly, "Helma" has issues. I'm wondering why she has not mellowed after a number of books. It seems that the world changes, experiences alter characters, except our heroine. The books are, however, a tolerable diversion.
Maria
Mar 30, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing
Best of the series so far. As an over 40s librarian myself, I identify with Helma (I feel like I know her well enough to use her Christian diminutive). We are of the generation that is between when the rules were back-and-white and when the rules were all thrown out. We like to see things done correctly the first time and we do not suffer fools well.
Connie
Mar 15, 2010 Connie rated it liked it
Helen had no way of knowing how many authors lived in her Bellingham, Washington area, until her plan to set up a special section honoring local scribes in her library brought the writers out in a flood. That two died within two days of the writer's meeting left Helen feeling responsible in solving the murders. Will Boy Cat ever return?
Kyrie
Oct 22, 2013 Kyrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This one had everything I don't like in mysteries - people who don't share information with police; obnoxious people who won't listen to others; people who won't come right out and say what they're thinking to their significant others.

I like the series, and this one moves the store between Helma and Wayne along, but no, I didn't enjoy it.
Laurie
May 03, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it
Local authors are turning up dead in this installment of the Miss Zukas, librarian, series. Worse yet for Helma, she must attend self-help workshops, and her cat, Boy Cat Zukas, has disappeared. Is there a serial killer on the loose in Bellehaven, WA? Who cares - it's just fun following fussy, precise, Helma and her crazy friend, Ruth,
Susan
Helma Zukas, the main character in this series, is an acquired taste. She's a stereotype of a spinster librarian. As she turns 42, Helma is just as rigid as always although her friend, Ruth, is there to loosen her up. Not much progress in the relationship with the police chief, Wayne Gallant, in this story.
Fran
Sep 02, 2010 Fran rated it it was amazing
The Miss Zukas mysteries are just the best. This one has all the good stuff: challenging library colleagues, (including the wonderfully despicable Glory Shandy), romance with Chief of Police Wayne Gallant, wacky artist friend Ruth, drama with Boy Cat Zukas, and of course a delightfully unfolding murder mystery.
Amanda
Jun 05, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of cozies
I forgot about the Miss Zukas mysteries and just came back to them. Very fun! I'm a little nervous about the love angle, though...

This series is set in a thinly veiled Bellingham, Washington, and it's always nice to read authors from close to home. There are a lot of them, as it turns out!
Rachel
Aug 23, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Ms. Zukas turns 42 and faces a series of crisis includign the launch of the local authors project, the disappearance of her cat and the sudden coolness of police chief Wayne Gallant along wiht enforced group sessions by her boss. A fun mystery.
Conyers
Jan 04, 2010 Conyers rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Well, the mystery was really good. However, I really had a problem with the main character, because she really didn't have a personality. Frankly, I would have given up on the book, except that the other characters were very personable.
Mary Jo Evans
May 19, 2008 Mary Jo Evans rated it liked it
A mystery that involves a librarian, her friend an artist, her on again off again police officer boyfriend, a writer, and several crazy characters. Fun, easy, sweeter than brain candy! I will probably read more of them!!
lynn
Mar 28, 2007 lynn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
i thought this would be loads of fun.. a librarian being a slueth..a few dead people...the story was ok but it was just too wordy...a bit more direct and to the point...a fair read
Margaret
May 08, 2013 Margaret rated it really liked it
An adorable little mystery which takes place in Bellingham, WA, a city I always enjoy visiting. The sense of place is reminiscent of Sue Grafton's Santa Barbara.
Kris Hollingsworth
Sep 06, 2008 Kris Hollingsworth rated it liked it
This was not my most favorite literary character. I will probably not read another in the series.
Brigid
Aug 25, 2010 Brigid rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: detective story lovers
Recommended to Brigid by: Pam Hardman
This author writes fun, fast-paced stories, but I'm just not a detective story gal.
Kimberly
Aug 25, 2008 Kimberly rated it liked it
Will be a very enjoyable mystery series. Looking forwared to reading more.
Terry
Aug 27, 2012 Terry rated it did not like it
Confusing, and boring. I can't say more.
Margaret
Mar 13, 2011 Margaret rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Liked the Miss Zukas books a lot.
Daniele
May 23, 2013 Daniele rated it did not like it
Unlikable protagonist
Bevjirwin
Jan 20, 2013 Bevjirwin rated it liked it
liked it-a cozy-fun
  • Murder By the Book (Megan Clark, #5)
  • Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)
  • Tea Is for Terror
  • Down Cut Shin Creek: The Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky
  • A Fatal Slip (Clay and Crime, #3)
  • Not a Girl Detective (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #2)
  • Must the Maiden Die (Glynis Tryon, #6)
  • Murder Can Wreck Your Reunion (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #4)
  • Bell, Book, and Scandal (Jane Jeffry, #14)
  • Murder at the Gardner
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Uncatalogued (A Booklover's Mystery, #6)
  • By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1)
  • Just Plain Pickled to Death (Pennsylvania Dutch, #4)
  • Death at a Discount (Susan Henshaw, #13)

I grew up in rural Michigan, greatly influenced by my Lithuanian roots. I'm one of those tedious people who wanted to write stories as soon as I learned to read, but believed I had to leave Michigan first. In fact, I couldn't wait to shake off that Michigan dust! Curiously, everything I write seems to have a connection to Michigan or my Lithuanian heritage.
I now live in the beautiful foothills of

More about Jo Dereske...

Miss Zukas (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Island Murders (Miss Zukas, #2)
  • Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death (Miss Zukas, #3)
  • Miss Zukas and the Raven's Dance (Miss Zukas, #4)
  • Out of Circulation (Miss Zukas, #5)
  • Final Notice (Miss Zukas, #6)
  • Miss Zukas in Death's Shadow (Miss Zukas, #7)
  • Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence (Miss Zukas, #8)
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)
  • Index to Murder (Miss Zukas, #11)