Start by marking “A árvore do conhecimento: as bases biológicas da compreensão humana” as Want to Read:
A árvore do conhecimento: as bases biológicas da compreensão humana

A árvore do conhecimento: as bases biológicas da compreensão humana

(por Livraria Cultura)

Os autores mostram que a idéia de que o mundo não é pré-dado, e que o construímos ao longo de nossa interação com ele, não é apenas teórica; apóia-se em evidências concretas. Várias delas estão expostas - com a freqüente utilização de exemplos e relatos de experimentos - nas páginas deste livro. As teorias dos dois autores constituem uma concepção ori
283 pages
Published 2001 by Editora Palas Athena (first published 1984)

DJ
Feb 07, 2010 DJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Interested in cybernetics, theoretical biology, and philosophy but still find Dan Brown novels to require mental gymnastics? Put on your philosophical training wheels and give "Tree of Knowledge" a spin!
A mixture of dated scientific ideas, profound frameworks for thinking about living organisms, and unnecessarily complicated jargon, ToK is essentially the children's menu version of Maturana and Varela's Autopoiesis and Cognition papers on living organisms, communication, and consciousness.

I hig
Magi
Dec 10, 2009 Magi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychology students, Philosophers
Recommended to Magi by: Author
This is the book that inspired me to give up fighting what I saw as mainstream unenlightened biological determinism in psychology, and enrol as a mature age student in psychology while a single parent of four. The language is difficult and challenging and the concepts complex, it took me many attempts to get it, but worth the effort. A classic, an all time favorite. I read it twenty years ago, after having the privelege of attending a workshop with the author, a delightful shamen of a man. His u ...more
Ricardo Roman
Nov 11, 2007 Ricardo Roman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El Árbol de Conocimiento, escrito por Humberto Maturana y por el inolvidable biólogo y maestro budista Francísco Varela, fue un libro que me marcó hace años, cuando comenzaba a conocer esta cultura de estudios y comprensión de la mente y el conocimiento. El conocimiento como forma de hacer, partiendo de formas de vida simples hasta el conocimiento humano y la formación de sistemas.

Es un libro que logra superar la visión reduccionista y mecánica de la mente como máquina de informaición, y poner
Oliver Hodson
Jan 07, 2016 Oliver Hodson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like reading these technical books but I can never quite hang on to enough of the wow moments and 'penny drops' to keep it in my consciousness or communicate it to others properly but I'll give it a go.

I think the big concept is autopoiesis, which is that in living things there is an internal unity and divider between the living thing and the environment. This condition gives rise to possibilities of interaction, that in many lineages give rise to behaviour, and in some language, and in curren
Abailart
This book came out of a series of lectures given by the writers as a contribution to a decision in 1980 by the Organization of Anerican States to research the many difficulties confronted in social communication and knowledge transfer.

It begins by unmasking the 'temptation of certainty' in all branches of knowledge and proceeds thence to present 'a coherent formulation of the foundation of communication as the biological being of man."

Clearly illustrated with diagrams, pictures and blocks of key
Donna Barthule
Nov 25, 2012 Donna Barthule rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purposefully read this book three times in order to better comprehend as much as possible. If you are interested in cybernetics, whole systems, evolution, epistemology, or any related discipline then this book would be at home on your bookshelf. If you are at all interested in how we "work" .. we human beans, read this book, and whatever else you can find by Maturana and his protege Varela. Make a label for your bookshelf: Neurophilosophy, Etc. Put this book there after you've done reading it. ...more
Darin Stevenson
This book introduces an extremely complex topic ‘autopoeisis’... which, simply rendered means... something like... intensely relational co-self-mergence into being, sensing and existence. But my definition pales.

This describes an entirely new direction in understanding living symmetries and relational hypersystems. Our minds, ideas, and life on Earth are explicit examples of such systems.

Astonishing, and requires a few readings over years to get the ideas clearly. If -realized- they turn minds i
Joe Raimondo
Apr 28, 2008 Joe Raimondo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unpacking all the ideas and thinking in this book would take a lifetime. Essentially, the book discusses autopoiesis -- a process that the authors posit is universal by which objects in the physical world (living and non-living)incorporate information from their environment into themselves.
Mahipal Lunia
Apr 02, 2013 Mahipal Lunia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those rare books that are a lil hard to read but ones that change ones outlook to life
David
May 31, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
"Humm... I'm going to bring my cabbages to someone who understands my needs."
Nick
Mar 04, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neuroanatomy
“All doing is knowing and all knowing is doing” (27)
“all knowing is an action by the knower” (34)
“Everything said is said by someone.”

Unities: A unity (entity, object) is brought forth by an act of distinction. Conversely, each time we refer to a unity in our descriptions, we are implying the operation of distinction that defines it and makes it possible. (40)

“Our proposition is that living beings are characterized in that, literally, they are continually self-producing. We indicate this proces
Rodrigo
I loved it!
There are a few things I didn't like about it, though.
For instance, the overall tone of the book was extremely arrogant. I know that may seem like a petty complaint, given the nature of the book, but this is major leagues conceit we are talking about. The author explicitly states at the beginning of the book that he intends to reform the totality of the scientific method, and not only that, the totality of knowledge as well, by establishing a new all-encompassing conceptual framework
Antonio
Nov 24, 2013 Antonio marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

"Sabendo como sabemos" é o tema deste livro. Seus autores apresentam uma
nova visão da cognição que tem implicações sociais e éticas
importantes, para, eles afirmam, o único mundo em que os seres humanos
podem ter é aquele que criamos juntos através das ações de nossa
convivência. Escrito para o público em geral, bem como para estudantes,
acadêmicos e cientistas e abundantemente ilustrada com exemplos de
biologia, lingüística e novos fenômenos sociais e culturais, esta edição
revista inclui um n

Richard
Quite intellectual, and I don't agree with all of the concepts..interesting food for thought, though, I guess.
Gernot
Dec 27, 2012 Gernot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: systemic-shelv
Trotz vieler Fremdwörter "polyontogenese" anregend und verständlich geschrieben. Aus heutiger Sicht ist die "neue" Denkweise eventuell nicht ganz so neu.
Ich habe das Buch gelesen, weil es viel zitiert wurde. Und dies zu Recht - es wird über Systeme, Komunikation , Leben und Liebe biologisiert und philosophiert.

Ob Peter Druckers "Communication is what the listener does" auch ihre Wurzeln hier hat?

Und sowieso muss ein Buch mit Bilder von Escher gut sein... :)

Nur für Freunde von wissenschaftlichen
Marijn Meijles
May 15, 2016 Marijn Meijles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book as it presupposes almost no knowledge and tries to explain a theory of cognition rooted in biology. It therefore needs to cover a lot of ground before arriving at the good parts.

For me the good parts constitute the last two chapters and the afterword. The rest does have some nice insights but consists mostly of rather dry material sprinkled with some examples. Other people who don't have previous experience with biology and sociology might enjoy it, but still I would have li
Cristóbal Peña
Giants!
Georges
Jun 23, 2010 Georges rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ciências, ensaio
Amazing book on the building of complexity in biological beings. Complexity in inherent of living things, how simple unicelular being evolved to more complex ones and how the nervous system works. I was not aware that a portuguese version was available, so Ive bought this book based on the recommendation Ive found in Daniel Dennet books. This book is cited in many other ones and should be read by everyone looking for a better understanding of biology basics. ...more
Blaine
The first comprehensive outline of how living systems are also mental systems; that self-organizing, autopoietic, living systems are the basis mind and sentience. The authors follow a circle from lived experience through the evolution of complexity and back to lived experience to reveal a view of how consciousness and mind are embedded and embodied in a living world.
Bill Baer
Sep 19, 2012 Bill Baer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an excellent description of "Constructionism" and how we exist and understand each other through language. Language is connotation and not denotation of the objects we create through our reality processing device (the brain/mind) All of what we see and know is a "construction" of our own inner consciousness.
Dachi
Oct 17, 2013 Dachi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Bromley
Actually I finished it over a month ago. I've forgotten the essence of the book already - a sure sign it was hard to follow. I think the translation didn't do it justice. The English just didn't explain well enough.
Luis F
Mar 30, 2008 Luis F rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am serious when i say that no philosophical argument that does not take this view in consideration, is very likely to be fatally flawed.

It is not normal for me to say that.
Leonardo
Aug 23, 2016 Leonardo marked it as to-keep-ref  ·  review of another edition
Maturana y Varela son un biólogos/psicólogos Chilenos. Hector Fanstein nos contaba sobre ellos, creo que hizo un curso con Maturana si no me equivoco.
Pasquale
Jul 02, 2012 Pasquale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saggio scientifico-filosofico che puo' sconvolgere la quotidianità della visione del mondo, se letto con attenzione. Avanguardista, sintetico, professionale. ...more
Dina
Aug 12, 2008 Dina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
History of life: biology, microbiology, integrated with philosophy, study of cognition. To be continued when I finish reading it.
Pili
Aug 14, 2011 Pili rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maturana la lleva, al igual que Cuadra, Alvaro....

Buen libro para darle una "vuelta de tuerca" a las cosas cotidianas y no tanto...
Jrobertus
Jul 19, 2007 Jrobertus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
a uu book group choice. i cannot think of a more worthless book. poorly written, irrational and obscure.
Joshua
Jul 13, 2009 Joshua rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A "friend" of mine said this was a good book. Don't bet on it. Pass it by if you have the chance.
Sam
Jun 24, 2008 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious Students
Recommended to Sam by: Aji Network
This book makes you look at an interpretation of the world brought forth in linquistics.
Goodreads Librari...: [Speaker Portuguese] To correct alphabetical order 2 117 Sep 18, 2016 09:34AM
  • The Embodied Mind: Cognitive Science and Human Experience
  • Mind in Life: Biology, Phenomenology, and the Sciences of Mind
  • Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry, Evolution, and Epistemology
  • Incomplete Nature: How Mind Emerged from Matter
  • Philosophy in the Flesh: The Embodied Mind and its Challenge to Western Thought
  • What Is Life?
  • The Web of Life: A New Scientific Understanding of Living Systems
  • Supersizing the Mind: Embodiment, Action, and Cognitive Extension
  • The Phenomenon of Life: Toward a Philosophical Biology
  • Action in Perception
  • The End of Certainty
  • Reflections on the Dawn of Consciousness: Julian Jaynes's Bicameral Mind Theory Revisited
  • The Self-Organizing Universe: Scientific and Human Implications
  • Matter and Consciousness: A Contemporary Introduction to the Philosophy of Mind
  • The Way We Think: Conceptual Blending and The Mind's Hidden Complexities
  • The Emerging Mind: Reith lectures 2003
  • Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings
  • Evolution in Four Dimensions: Genetic, Epigenetic, Behavioral, and Symbolic Variation in the History of Life
Chilean biologist and self-help writer. Many consider him a member of a group of second-order cybernetics theoreticians such as Heinz von Foerster, Gordon Pask, Herbert Brün and Ernst von Glasersfeld.

Maturana, along with Francisco Varela, is particularly known for creating the term "autopoiesis" about the nature of reflexive feedback mechanisms in living systems, and concepts such as structural d
More about Humberto R. Maturana...