A árvore do conhecimento: as bases biológicas da compreensão humana

A árvore do conhecimento: as bases biológicas da compreensão humana

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  31 reviews
(por Livraria Cultura)

Os autores mostram que a idéia de que o mundo não é pré-dado, e que o construímos ao longo de nossa interação com ele, não é apenas teórica; apóia-se em evidências concretas. Várias delas estão expostas - com a freqüente utilização de exemplos e relatos de experimentos - nas páginas deste livro. As teorias dos dois autores constituem uma concepção ori...more
283 pages
Published 2001 by Editora Palas Athena (first published 1984)

DJ
Interested in cybernetics, theoretical biology, and philosophy but still find Dan Brown novels to require mental gymnastics? Put on your philosophical training wheels and give "Tree of Knowledge" a spin!
A mixture of dated scientific ideas, profound frameworks for thinking about living organisms, and unnecessarily complicated jargon, ToK is essentially the children's menu version of Maturana and Varela's Autopoiesis and Cognition papers on living organisms, communication, and consciousness.

I hig...more
Abailart
This book came out of a series of lectures given by the writers as a contribution to a decision in 1980 by the Organization of Anerican States to research the many difficulties confronted in social communication and knowledge transfer.

It begins by unmasking the 'temptation of certainty' in all branches of knowledge and proceeds thence to present 'a coherent formulation of the foundation of communication as the biological being of man."

Clearly illustrated with diagrams, pictures and blocks of key...more
Ricardo Roman
El Árbol de Conocimiento, escrito por Humberto Maturana y por el inolvidable biólogo y maestro budista Francísco Varela, fue un libro que me marcó hace años, cuando comenzaba a conocer esta cultura de estudios y comprensión de la mente y el conocimiento. El conocimiento como forma de hacer, partiendo de formas de vida simples hasta el conocimiento humano y la formación de sistemas.

Es un libro que logra superar la visión reduccionista y mecánica de la mente como máquina de informaición, y poner...more
Magi
Dec 10, 2009 Magi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychology students, Philosophers
Recommended to Magi by: Author
This is the book that inspired me to give up fighting what I saw as mainstream unenlightened biological determinism in psychology, and enrol as a mature age student in psychology while a single parent of four. The language is difficult and challenging and the concepts complex, it took me many attempts to get it, but worth the effort. A classic, an all time favorite. I read it twenty years ago, after having the privelege of attending a workshop with the author, a delightful shamen of a man. His u...more
Darin Stevenson
This book introduces an extremely complex topic ‘autopoeisis’... which, simply rendered means... something like... intensely relational co-self-mergence into being, sensing and existence. But my definition pales.

This describes an entirely new direction in understanding living symmetries and relational hypersystems. Our minds, ideas, and life on Earth are explicit examples of such systems.

Astonishing, and requires a few readings over years to get the ideas clearly. If -realized- they turn minds i...more
Mahipal Lunia
One of those rare books that are a lil hard to read but ones that change ones outlook to life
Nick
“All doing is knowing and all knowing is doing” (27)
“all knowing is an action by the knower” (34)
“Everything said is said by someone.”

Unities: A unity (entity, object) is brought forth by an act of distinction. Conversely, each time we refer to a unity in our descriptions, we are implying the operation of distinction that defines it and makes it possible. (40)

“Our proposition is that living beings are characterized in that, literally, they are continually self-producing. We indicate this proces...more
Rodrigo
I loved it!
There are a few things I didn't like about it, though.
For instance, the overall tone of the book was extremely arrogant. I know that may seem like a petty complaint, given the nature of the book, but this is major leagues conceit we are talking about. The author explicitly states at the beginning of the book that he intends to reform the totality of the scientific method, and not only that, the totality of knowledge as well, by establishing a new all-encompassing conceptual framework...more
Donna Barthule
I purposefully read this book three times in order to better comprehend as much as possible. If you are interested in cybernetics, whole systems, evolution, epistemology, or any related discipline then this book would be at home on your bookshelf. If you are at all interested in how we "work" .. we human beans, read this book, and whatever else you can find by Maturana and his protege Varela. Make a label for your bookshelf: Neurophilosophy, Etc. Put this book there after you've done reading it....more
Antonio Jozzolino

"Sabendo como sabemos" é o tema deste livro. Seus autores apresentam uma
nova visão da cognição que tem implicações sociais e éticas
importantes, para, eles afirmam, o único mundo em que os seres humanos
podem ter é aquele que criamos juntos através das ações de nossa
convivência. Escrito para o público em geral, bem como para estudantes,
acadêmicos e cientistas e abundantemente ilustrada com exemplos de
biologia, lingüística e novos fenômenos sociais e culturais, esta edição
revista inclui um n

Gernot
Trotz vieler Fremdwörter "polyontogenese" anregend und verständlich geschrieben. Aus heutiger Sicht ist die "neue" Denkweise eventuell nicht ganz so neu.
Ich habe das Buch gelesen, weil es viel zitiert wurde. Und dies zu Recht - es wird über Systeme, Komunikation , Leben und Liebe biologisiert und philosophiert.

Ob Peter Druckers "Communication is what the listener does" auch ihre Wurzeln hier hat?

Und sowieso muss ein Buch mit Bilder von Escher gut sein... :)

Nur für Freunde von wissenschaftlichen...more
Georges
Amazing book on the building of complexity in biological beings. Complexity in inherent of living things, how simple unicelular being evolved to more complex ones and how the nervous system works. I was not aware that a portuguese version was available, so I´ve bought this book based on the recommendation I´ve found in Daniel Dennet books. This book is cited in many other ones and should be read by everyone looking for a better understanding of biology basics.
Stuart Haden
Wow this book took me on a stretching scientific journey! Not sure if I passed!? But I think that's precisely their point. I've got to give up knowing that I know and work towards the two main points of the book...

the need for a nonrepresenationist view of knowledge based on the sense making capacity.
the need to close the circle between what is valid and what pertains to our own experience.

Loved the blind spot exercise - we do not see that we do not see....
David
"Humm... I'm going to bring my cabbages to someone who understands my needs."
Blaine
The first comprehensive outline of how living systems are also mental systems; that self-organizing, autopoietic, living systems are the basis mind and sentience. The authors follow a circle from lived experience through the evolution of complexity and back to lived experience to reveal a view of how consciousness and mind are embedded and embodied in a living world.
Bill Baer
an excellent description of "Constructionism" and how we exist and understand each other through language. Language is connotation and not denotation of the objects we create through our reality processing device (the brain/mind) All of what we see and know is a "construction" of our own inner consciousness.
Joe Raimondo
Unpacking all the ideas and thinking in this book would take a lifetime. Essentially, the book discusses autopoiesis -- a process that the authors posit is universal by which objects in the physical world (living and non-living)incorporate information from their environment into themselves.
Dachi
Luis F
I am serious when i say that no philosophical argument that does not take this view in consideration, is very likely to be fatally flawed.

It is not normal for me to say that.
Pasquale
Saggio scientifico-filosofico che puo' sconvolgere la quotidianità della visione del mondo, se letto con attenzione. Avanguardista, sintetico, professionale....more
Dina
Aug 12, 2008 Dina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
History of life: biology, microbiology, integrated with philosophy, study of cognition. To be continued when I finish reading it.
Pili
Maturana la lleva, al igual que Cuadra, Alvaro....

Buen libro para darle una "vuelta de tuerca" a las cosas cotidianas y no tanto...
Jrobertus
a uu book group choice. i cannot think of a more worthless book. poorly written, irrational and obscure.
Joshua
A "friend" of mine said this was a good book. Don't bet on it. Pass it by if you have the chance.
Sam
Jun 24, 2008 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious Students
Recommended to Sam by: Aji Network
This book makes you look at an interpretation of the world brought forth in linquistics.
Claus-peter Seichter
Autopoiesis - a new paradigm for understanding the world...
Roberto
The beat book in how we know and learn
Craig
One of my favorites!
Nancy Maxwell
Amazing, mind stretching
Victor
Liked the structure.
  • The Embodied Mind: Cognitive Science and Human Experience
  • Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry, Evolution, and Epistemology
  • Supersizing the Mind: Embodiment, Action, and Cognitive Extension (Philosophy of Mind Series)
  • Philosophy in the Flesh: The Embodied Mind and its Challenge to Western Thought
  • Incomplete Nature: How Mind Emerged from Matter
  • The Ego Tunnel: The Science of the Mind and the Myth of the Self
  • The Web of Life: A New Scientific Understanding of Living Systems
  • Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings
  • Order Out of Chaos: Man's New Dialogue with Nature
  • Out of Our Heads: Why You Are Not Your Brain, and Other Lessons from the Biology of Consciousness
  • The Body Has a Mind of Its Own: How Body Maps in Your Brain Help You Do (Almost) Everything Better
  • The Emerging Mind: Reith lectures 2003
  • The Construction of Social Reality
  • Neurophilosophy: Toward a Unified Science of the Mind/Brain
  • Hidden Order: How Adaptation Builds Complexity
  • The Concept of Mind
  • The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness
  • A Universe of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination
Autopoiesis and Cognition: The Realization of the Living El Sentido De Lo Humano From Being to Doing. The Origins of the Biology of Cognition. Emociones y lenguaje en educación y pólitica La objetividad: Un argumento para obligar